USMNT vs Colombia | The Boneyard

USMNT vs Colombia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No thread on the game? Pretty sure that was passive offsides on Colombia's first goal, but USA caught a break on the PK.

Colombia probably trotted out a team that was closer to their A side than us, and their quality was evident. They had more talent all over the field, and controlled possession for much of the game.

With that said, the US had a few great chances, and Wood really needed to finish one of those headers. Would have liked to have seen Lee Nguyen earlier. He looked really good out there in his limited minutes.

Finally, is there a big Colombian population in England? They basically filled the stadium outside a small section of outlaws.

Reaction Score
Ya, missed it...unfortunately. Had plans to take a half day and watch it at my local, but ended up having to work all day. Got the scoring updates on my phone tho. Will watch it on DVR today.

Reaction Score
Missed the game myself; but, from what I read, the final result reflected the quality of play even if it's painful that the US conceded yet another late goal (versus the pre JK early goal concession trend). US avoided a PK of their own on a handball while Colombia's first goal off-side by a noticeable margin. US has issues with Rodriguez (who doesn't?). Jones played back; but, seemed to get a lot of shots on goal for a defensive player. US still needs a striker who knows how to put the ball in the net.

Reaction Score
Further review on the highlights. US PK was legit. Colombian defender missed a header and used his arm to knock it down. Was he given a card on it? I would have given him a yellow at minimum. Technically, the Colombian 1st goal was not off-side as the shooter was not off-side; but, the player who was off-side basically acted as a screen standing 1 foot from the ball blocking US defenders from the ball and the shooter. I would consider that an active participant and called it.

That's said, Columbia was the better team and deserved the win.

Reaction Score
Many Columbians worked in Spain via grandparent visas. Once in Spain, more than a few managed to get EU passports or found their way to other locations. Not a surprise for a lot of Columbians to find their way to the Cottage.

Reaction Score
Missed the game myself; but, from what I read, the final result reflected the quality of play even if it's painful that the US conceded yet another late goal (versus the pre JK early goal concession trend). US avoided a PK of their own on a handball while Colombia's first goal off-side by a noticeable margin. US has issues with Rodriguez (who doesn't?). Jones played back; but, seemed to get a lot of shots on goal for a defensive player. US still needs a striker who knows how to put the ball in the net.

I don't care about that late goal. They always seem to com after the sixth substitution when everything is out of whack. Green got subbed in for Yedlin really late. Green actually had one good touch but that late goal was on him, he can't mark dudes, which should surprise nobody.

These friendlies are really "find out" games, where individual performance is more important than collective performance.

That being said, we didn't look that great at all. Mix and Fabian looked terrible. Jozy Altidore is like that mediocre restaurant in your neighborhood that you keep going to because it's close. Every time you go you expect it to be better, but it's always THE SAME.

Garza is our left back. That wasn't his best game, be he is the guy. Rubio Rubin will be hyped heavily for a while now. He plays in the Dutch Eredevisie for Utrecht and for an 18 year old he plays like a 22 year old.

Mix and Johnson were bad. Bedoya was off too. The only midfielder that started that looked good was Beckerman.

When Lee Nguyen got on the field he looked sharp. I get why he wasn't started, but it looks like his MLS form carried over nicely. If he sticks around for the second game, I hope he gets 60 minutes or so.

I think Guzan looked good. He must have felt like he was playing for Aston Villa yesterday.

That being said, I am sick of international breaks. This is the third one since the WC. That's overkill.

I would prefer to play teams like Columbia than friendlies against the CONCACAF minnows. We need to be playing Belgium, Columbia, Germany etc... The kinds of teams that knock us out in the quarterfinals. This game was great because the opponent was under pressure to win with the "home" crowd and they are the third best team in the world. It was their A team, they 16 players from the WC on the team. These are the kinds of games we need.

Reaction Score
Late to this thread..

I was also taken back by how many Colombians were in the building - but the small USA section in the corner made some noise!

Not sold on Garza just yet - still think Chandler has a chance to grow into that role and with Yedlin at RB, that leaves Johnson out of the lineup..

Is it just me, or is Bedoya a non-factor in nearly every game he plays?

Lee Nguyen needs a bigger role, I think his play with the NE Revs proves that, time for Jurgen to give him a shot - already sent back to the Revs though

ZooCougar I agree that it may seem like overkill on the breaks, but each game is a growing tool for them and they need to take advantage of every opportunity to bring players in and put them to the test. Finding the right XI seems to be an issue, more games will take care of that (I hope).

Excited to see how they do in Dublin tomorrow!

Reaction Score
Late to this thread..

I was also taken back by how many Colombians were in the building - but the small USA section in the corner made some noise!

Not sold on Garza just yet - still think Chandler has a chance to grow into that role and with Yedlin at RB, that leaves Johnson out of the lineup..

Is it just me, or is Bedoya a non-factor in nearly every game he plays?

Lee Nguyen needs a bigger role, I think his play with the NE Revs proves that, time for Jurgen to give him a shot - already sent back to the Revs though

ZooCougar I agree that it may seem like overkill on the breaks, but each game is a growing tool for them and they need to take advantage of every opportunity to bring players in and put them to the test. Finding the right XI seems to be an issue, more games will take care of that (I hope).

Excited to see how they do in Dublin tomorrow!

I think we need Jones back at mid. We missed his presence. Also someone needs to clone Claudio Reyna or John O'Brien because we haven't had mid who could hold onto the ball as well as those guys since... And that it includes Landycakes.

Reaction Score
I think we need Jones back at mid. We missed his presence. Also someone needs to clone Claudio Reyna or John O'Brien because we haven't had mid who could hold onto the ball as well as those guys since... And that it includes Landycakes.

I agree on Jones - he's looked OK at best at CB but he thrived in the role behind Bradley in the traditional midfield 6. It seems as if most mids on the USMNT radar right now are attack minded, which is okay, but you're right, we need the possession/defensive minded guy and it seems Michael Bradley is not that guy at the moment..

Should be an interesting lineup today..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul