USMNT roster for June qualifiers | The Boneyard

USMNT roster for June qualifiers

Reaction Score
GOALKEEPERS: Brad Guzan (Atlanta United FC), Ethan Horvath (Club Brugge), Tim Howard (Colorado Rapids), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)

DEFENDERS: DaMarcus Beasley (Houston Dynamo), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Omar Gonzalez (Pachuca), Matt Hedges (FC Dallas), Tim Ream (Fulham), Jorge Villafaña (Santos Laguna), DeAndre Yedlin (Newcastle United), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

MIDFIELDERS: Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas), Paul Arriola (Club Tijuana), Alejandro Bedoya (Philadelphia Union), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Moenchengladbach), Dax McCarty (Chicago Fire), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers), Christian Pulisic (Borussia Dortmund)

FORWARDS: Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Jordan Morris (Seattle Sounders FC), Bobby Wood (Hamburg SV)

LINK

Reaction Score
I see quite a few MLS vets that won't play. Dax. Beas. Zusi.

So why not let the future (or just 1!) ride pine and get the feel of these games? Sure, some are playing U20 ball right now, but we have some youth at clubs such as ManU, Fiorentina, or soon to be in Europe that can be better suited for these than Dax McCarty.

Hire Luis.

Reaction Score
So a few thoughts:

1. You can't be healthier going into qualifiers than we are now. Only Jermaine Jones is out of the Pool and I don't think anyone on the roster other than Bobby Wood is truly playing hurt. So if the World Cup was this summer, this is the pool that the roster would come from.

2. The Gold Cup is for experimenting, and giving players who aren't going to help you qualify a taste. Not next week. Sheesh. We play Mexico, at altitude, a mere 3 days after we play Trinidad. i would not be surprised if 5 or 6 players who don't start against Trinidad start against Mexico to provide fresh legs. If Josh Perez is anywhere near the USMNT senior pool at the moment, we will see him for the Gold Cup. Not now.

3. What this pool tells you is that there are two big question marks surrounding the team as it moves towards Russia. One remains left fullback. Is Villafana the answer? I was glad he got his shot the last two qualifiers, but I'd be lying if I said he provided the speed on the flank that the U.S. Needs to make up for the lack of a superstar striker. If Yedlin is our right back (and while Chandler is the better league player, we've seen little from him as a national team player to think he's better than Yedlin), does he get a shot at left back? He was the backup to Beasley for the last World Cup there. Or do you move Fabian back and play Pulisic at left half and leave an opening in midfield for another player? We'll see. The other question is still, whatever formation we start in, who is the forward center half -- the QB -- who plays behind the striker and is supposed to lead your team in assists? Is it Pulisic in the middle, even if he's better at the wing? Is it Dempsey, even though it's not his natural position and he's getting older? Is it an unproven Nagbe? The best "fit" for this role remains Klejstan, but I can't argue if Arena, after giving him a look, doesn't think he's good enough. But who is holding the ball and running the offense? Or can we play without that person, and just spread the control and passing among the closing options? Otherwise, I think we're pretty set with how we're playing.

4. For all the crap we rightfully give the US bureaucrats, credit for really setting their eyes on getting a result in Azteca. A camp and two games at altitude before we go to Mexico? While that won't make the altitude a non-factor, it should make the altitude no more of a factor for us than el Tri. Obviously qualifying has more to do with not screwing up at home against Trinidad, but I think in their minds the game at Azteca is the first "big" game for Arena redux, and I think they mean to make an impression. Are they good enough? We'll see.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The answer to your last question is no. But it's a good thing they resurrected the glorified gym teacher to appease Merritt Paulson and Company. After that's what's most important.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Not a lot of shocking pics here. Much of the same. I was disappointed that we've had yet another Timmy Chandler sighting, but let's see if Arena uses him. One wonders if Fabian Johnson will get some burn as a wing back rather than a midfielder, but I guess we shall soon see how it all plays out...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Dempsey Wood
Nagbe Pulisic Bedoya
Bradley
Johnson Brooks Cameron Yedlin
Howard

For Mexico; Chandler replaces Johnson, Johnson replaces Nagbe, Altidore replaces Wood (though I wouldn't), Gonzo replaces Cameron (though I wouldn't

First guys off the bench is Zusi for Bedoya or Nagbe, Chandler for Nagbe with Johnson moving up. There is not much on the bench that would help change the game.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
What has Nagby ever done?

At the national level, nothing of note. But, Pulisic is our best option at attacking midfielder leaving a hole on the left wing that would be best filled by Johnson, but we have not had a reliable LB in forever so FJ is the best option there that isn't going to get beat constantly and can add something to the attack. So, Nagbe it is.

If you but Dempsey at the attacking mid, then the entire attack dies 30 yards from goal as he tries to set himself up for a shot. He is deadly within 18 yards and needs to stay there as long as he is our most efficient scorer. Wood is #2 and can actually stretch the defense, but he needs to be in the middle of the field too, so he pairs with Dempsey (though they have not played well together in the past), and the one trick Altidore sits. Since Arena favors the old guys, he will play Altidore ahead of Wood.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
All around a poorly played match. The absence of work in the middle of the field was obvious. Pulisic too high, Bradley too deep, and no one pinching in to fill the space. Too many first tough bobbles and bouncing passes, especially from Wood and Johnson.

No one had a positive match except maybe Villafana. He should get more run at LB. Acosta looks like he might be a player and Hedges was better than both Ream and Gonzalez, in short appearances.

The 3-5-2 formation look's like it should work if the personnel buy in. We have enough guys that can play wingback. It allows two holding midfielder's to bridge up to Pulisic and keeps our forwards in the final third where they belong.

The down side is I don't think our center backs have the quality to cover the additional ground, or match up one v one, in the middle. I also think we would get burned on the outside long ball against better sides.

Reaction Score
I just saw the 40 man Gold Cup roster. No Kliestjan or Feilhaber. Woof.

When will this glorified gym teacher just realize that we need a quality center mid to connect our forwards with de facto center back Michael Bradley?

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I just saw the 40 man Gold Cup roster. No Kliestjan or Feilhaber. Woof.

When will this glorified gym teacher just realize that we need a quality center mid to connect our forwards with de facto center back Michael Bradley?

I'd put Cameron at DM before either of those two. If you are looking at them for attacking mid, that job is taken.

The idea of snowflake sasha as a holding midfielder makes me sad.

Acosta looked like he might work there. I think the kid playing U20, might turn into a viable option in a few years. MB is a defender now, judge him like you used to judge Beckerman.

The answer to yesterday's problem in the middle of the field was one of formation and Pulisic playing too high. He was playing more as a withdrawn sticker than a diamond midfielder. MB couldn't get the ball forward enough in the formation they employed. Johnson and Nagle didn't do enough coming inside to take up the gap.

Reaction Score
I'd put Cameron at DM before either of those two. If you are looking at them for attacking mid, that job is taken.

The idea of snowflake sasha as a holding midfielder makes me sad.

Acosta looked like he might work there. I think the kid playing U20, might turn into a viable option in a few years. MB is a defender now, judge him like you used to judge Beckerman.

The answer to yesterday's problem in the middle of the field was one of formation and Pulisic playing too high. He was playing more as a withdrawn sticker than a diamond midfielder. MB couldn't get the ball forward enough in the formation they employed. Johnson and Nagle didn't do enough coming inside to take up the gap.

Your post makes zero sense because neither are DMs. Bradley is the holding mid. Pulisic needs a center mid next to him.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Your post makes zero sense because neither are DMs. Bradley is the holding mid. Pulisic needs a center mid next to him.

That was my point, neither could take Bradley's spot which is the only one of the two center mid spots open.

Pulisic isn't a center mid, he is an advanced mid, at least right now. Playing them side by side is a waste of his skill. He needs the ball in the attacking half of the field. Best case is a 4-3-1-2 formation with the 3 helping to get him the ball.

Yesterday in the diamond, Bradley was to detached and could not make up that much ground. Not sure anyone could all by themselves.

The switch to the 3-5-2, really a 3-4-1-2 worked better, but I don't think that is sustainable. Mexico torched that formation in Columbus.

I think a version of a 4-2-3-1 is what we are after but that leaves two of Dempsey, Wood, or Jozy on the bench and traditionally we haven't done well with a lone striker.

The 4-4-2 would push Pukisic outside, which I wouldn't have a problem doing if we had a suitable replacement in the middle. We don't none of the guys you mentioned are even close to that level.

Maybe Acosta or Nagle can become that guy, but we aren't getting that from older guys.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That was my point, neither could take Bradley's spot which is the only one of the two center mid spots open.

Pulisic isn't a center mid, he is an advanced mid, at least right now. Playing them side by side is a waste of his skill. He needs the ball in the attacking half of the field. Best case is a 4-3-1-2 formation with the 3 helping to get him the ball.

Yesterday in the diamond, Bradley was to detached and could not make up that much ground. Not sure anyone could all by themselves.

The switch to the 3-5-2, really a 3-4-1-2 worked better, but I don't think that is sustainable. Mexico torched that formation in Columbus.

I think a version of a 4-2-3-1 is what we are after but that leaves two of Dempsey, Wood, or Jozy on the bench and traditionally we haven't done well with a lone striker.

The 4-4-2 would push Pukisic outside, which I wouldn't have a problem doing if we had a suitable replacement in the middle. We don't none of the guys you mentioned are even close to that level.

Maybe Acosta or Nagle can become that guy, but we aren't getting that from older guys.

I don't see how we run anything but this, unless we decide to put Dempsey at center midfield, put Jozy and Woods in front of him and put Pulisic on the wing. My problem with using Pulisic on the wing is that our opposite wing isn't strong enough. He ends up not touching the ball enough. At least until someone like Nagbe emerges as a real threat on the other wing. Johnson hasn't really been that.

Bradley is so gun shy and reluctant to attack now, that he is best suited to the center defensive midfield role. I do think he needs to be more aggressive in moving the ball forward from there than he has been.

Reaction Score
I completely forgot the game was on, until the final 20 minutes. Meh... Venezuela is the bottom of the CONMEBOL qualifying table, so a game the US should win. Glad it was a friendly, and hopefully it served its purpose of working out the kinks. The USMNT needs to get things tightened up in time for T&T. That is an absolute MUST 3 points. I predict we win handily v. T&T (2 goal or more advantage).

Pulisic looked really frustrated after the game, too (IMO). Not sure if he was just really fatigued, but they kept showing him, and while most others were smiling and slapping backs/shaking hands, he had a different look on his face.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
I don't see how we run anything but this, unless we decide to put Dempsey at center midfield, put Jozy and Woods in front of him and put Pulisic on the wing. My problem with using Pulisic on the wing is that our opposite wing isn't strong enough. He ends up not touching the ball enough. At least until someone like Nagbe emerges as a real threat on the other wing. Johnson hasn't really been that.

Bradley is so gun shy and reluctant to attack now, that he is best suited to the center defensive midfield role. I do think he needs to be more aggressive in moving the ball forward from there than he has been.

Dempsey doing anything other than finishing is a drain on the offense. I still think he is adverse to working with Wood.

The answer might be a 4-4-1-1 with Pukisic under Dempsey, but that takes one of our better weapons of the field in Wood.

We could really use 4 points this round, but if we beat TT, then it might be OK to try the 3-5-2 against Mexico, even though they torched it last time.

If we need a point then we should use the Venezuela lineup and hope for better individual performances.

Reaction Score
Time for Ream and Zusi to hang em up. Dempsey is hanging around to collect his deserved goal record, and should be used as a 20-30 minute sub from here on out.

Reaction Score
Time for Ream and Zusi to hang em up. Dempsey is hanging around to collect his deserved goal record, and should be used as a 20-30 minute sub from here on out.
Yup. I like Dempsey off the bench, personally. Start Wood and Jozy up top (Jozy matches up well with Central America/Caribbean teams), then sub Dempsey or Morris in for Jozy around the 60th minute.

Here is T&T's roster - LINK. There is no reason at all the US should not handily dispatch of T&T...The talent level at all 11 position is higher for the US, or maybe a couple spots on par. T&T will pack it in and defend, playing for a point, and hoping to get something on a counter-attack. Got to be careful with set pieces swinging the ball into the box with T&T's height.
Goalkeepers:
Jan-Michael Williams (North East Stars), Marvin Phillip (Point Fortin Civic Centre FC), Adrian Foncette (Police FC).
Defenders:
Carlos Edwards (Central FC), Aubrey David (PS Kemi Kings—FIN), Alvin Jones (W Connection), Radanfah Abu Bakr (FK Sūduva Marijampolė—LTU), Mekeil Williams (Colorado Rapids—USA), Triston Hodge (W Connection), Sheldon Bateau (Krylia Sovetov Samara—RUS), Daneil Cyrus (Unattached), Curtis Gonzales (Defence Force).
Midfielders:
Joevin Jones (Seattle Sounders FC—USA), Andre Boucaud (Dagenham & Redbridge—ENG), Kevan George (Jacksonville Armada—USA), Hashim Arcia (Defence Force), Khaleem Hyland (KVC Westerlo—BEL), Leston Paul (North East Stars), Kevin Molino (Minnesota United FC—USA), Hughtun Hector (W Connection), Nathan Lewis (San Juan Jabloteh).
Forwards:
Shahdon Winchester (Murcielagos FC—MEX), Jamille Boatswain (Defence Force), Kenwyne Jones (Atlanta United—USA).

SubbaBub

Reaction Score

I agree our team in 2018 would be better without Clint as the starter. The problem is that he is still scoring most of the goals when he is on the field. The other options are Wood/Altidore, Wood/Morris, Wood/Pulisic. We can play a better system without him, but someone needs to step up before pulling the trigger.

Ream is probably not going to Russia, but who right now is being trusted off the bench on the right side more than Zusi and Bedoya? There are a lot of guys I'd like to see replaced but who is out there that isn't on this roster right now?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The answer to your last question is no. But it's a good thing they resurrected the glorified gym teacher to appease Merritt Paulson and Company. After that's what's most important.

I had to go look up Merritt Paulson and found this quote: "For this sport to be successful in this country, for the national team to be successful, the national team and our domestic league need to be pointing in the same direction more often than not and that just hasn't been the case under Jurgen Klinsmann."

Screw him. The best thing for the national team to be successful is for MLS to have as little input as possible.

ADD: And now I get why Nagbe is starting. It certainly isn't merit based.

Reaction Score

If he plays a 4-3-3 or a 4-5-1/3-5-2 then he can use 3 center mids. You could run a narrow diamond even and use 4 cms.

Pulisic should be out wide or really have the ability to roam.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom