USMNT GM Announced today at 2pm | The Boneyard

USMNT GM Announced today at 2pm

Reaction Score
Carlos Cordeiro and Dan Flynn (among others) will address the appointment of the USMNT GM today at 2pm on a conference call with reporters. Sources are saying it will be Phila Union Sporting Director, Earnie Stewart.

Reaction Score
Carlos Cordeiro and Dan Flynn (among others) will address the appointment of the USMNT GM today at 2pm on a conference call with reporters. Sources are saying it will be Phila Union Sporting Director, Earnie Stewart.

Not impressed. It’s not like he delivered anything in Philly.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Haven't followed Earnie since he played. Is he just another MLS suck pump?

Reaction Score
Haven't followed Earnie since he played. Is he just another MLS suck pump?

You kind of have to be if you get an MLS paycheck.

He had some executive roles with some Dutch clubs.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not impressed. It’s not like he delivered anything in Philly.
Very different job. Time will tell if it was a good hire or not, but he grew up outside of MLS. He's seen how the real world works. I certainly wouldn't consider him a MLS shill.

I guess we'll see who he hires as the coach of the USMNT. That will probably be telling.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Very different job. Time will tell if it was a good hire or not, but he grew up outside of MLS. He's seen how the real world works. I certainly wouldn't consider him a MLS shill.

I guess we'll see how he hires as the coach of the USMNT. That will probably be telling.
Agreed; Stewart's Eredivisie experience as NAC Breda's technical director, AZ Alkmaar's director of football affairs, and with VVV Venlo, 3 World Cup appearances, and 500+ professional games may be more important than perceptions of Stewart's Philadelphia Union experience.

Regarding hiring of the next MNT coach, Stewart commented: "Making the right choice is the most important thing," ... "It's process over speed." Regarding success, I comment: 2022 or bust!
www.chicagotribune.com/sports/soccer/ct-spt-us-soccer-earnie-stewart-20180606-story.html

Reaction Score
Agreed; Stewart's Eredivisie experience as NAC Breda's technical director, AZ Alkmaar's director of football affairs, and with VVV Venlo, 3 World Cup appearances, and 500+ professional games may be more important than perceptions of Stewart's Philadelphia Union experience.

Regarding hiring of the next MNT coach, Stewart commented: "Making the right choice is the most important thing," ... "It's process over speed." Regarding success, I comment: 2022 or bust!
www.chicagotribune.com/sports/soccer/ct-spt-us-soccer-earnie-stewart-20180606-story.html

He doesn’t even take office until 1 Aug. There is no urgency here. Which might mean they have a coach sorted.

World Cup appearances aren’t a qualification.

If he were a good exec in Europe then he would be in Europe in progressively bigger clubs not with the Union.

I guess when you have a shot at the GM of one of the worst teams in MLS then you can’t pass that up.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
He doesn’t even take office until 1 Aug. There is no urgency here. Which might mean they have a coach sorted.

World Cup appearances aren’t a qualification.

If he were a good exec in Europe then he would be in Europe in progressively bigger clubs not with the Union.

I guess when you have a shot at the GM of one of the worst teams in MLS then you can’t pass that up.
Hello, McFly, different job.

Reaction Score
Uh yea.

Uh yeah he was/is the GM of the Union. Annually one of the worst teams in the league and not even in a playoff position yet this season.

That’s who we just hired. Capiche?

Reaction Score
No capiche. Markedly different job, markedly bigger upside potential (or downside) and likely higher compensated.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Interesting commentary from Taylor Twellman during halftime of the France-US friendly. He openly criticized this position, not hire, because he had no idea it's purpose or how it would fix what's wrong with US soccer. I love this guys passion and his lack of fear to openly criticize the USSF.

Also sad that there will be no Ian Darke for the WC. I love listening to a game that man calls.

Reaction Score
Interesting commentary from Taylor Twellman during halftime of the France-US friendly. He openly criticized this position, not hire, because he had no idea it's purpose or how it would fix what's wrong with US soccer. I love this guys passion and his lack of fear to openly criticize the USSF.

Also sad that there will be no Ian Darke for the WC. I love listening to a game that man calls.
It's good someone on US networks occasionally takes the USSF to task, but my response to much of Twellman's commentary is he's mostly a warbling wanker. Unfortunately, Twellman appears to believe he's paid by the word.

Acknowledging Fox Sports, not ESPN will broadcast the World Cup in the States, I'll luckily watch and listen as much as possible on non-US networks. Less conveniently, scheduled game times. Po'shyol 'na hui Russya (Butch ewe Russia)!

Reaction Score
No capiche. Markedly different job, markedly bigger upside potential (or downside) and likely higher compensated.

Just stop. You two are being dense. If he can’t get it done in Europe and with the Union then it’s not like we should be sure that he will with the USMNT. It’s not like he can sign better talent. It’s dumb choice. And probably not too many people wanted it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Acknowledging Fox Sports, not ESPN will broadcast the World Cup in the States, I'll luckily watch and listen as much as possible on non-US networks.

I'm pretty sure I'll be watching more Telemundo over the next month or so than I have ever watched in the rest of my life put together. Actually, that will probably be true after the 2nd day.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Uh yeah he was/is the GM of the Union. Annually one of the worst teams in the league and not even in a playoff position yet this season.

That’s who we just hired. Capiche?
GM of the Union and GM of the USA NT are two very different jobs. Capiche?

I'm sorry you can't comprehend that just because it says GM, it's not the same. I suppose you think President of the Davy Jones Fan Club and President of UCONN are the same job, because well, umm they both say President. Talk about dense. You aren't really this stupid, right? You just like to argue, right? I'm hoping.

Reaction Score

I'm sorry you can't comprehend that just because it says GM, it's not the same. I suppose you think President of the Davy Jones Fan Club and President of UCONN are the same job, because well, umm they both say President. Talk about dense. You aren't really this stupid, right? You just like to argue, right? I'm hoping.

So you’re saying that just because he was unsuccessful or mediocre as a club GM doesn’t means he will be the same as a NT GM?

I suppose I would prefer to see some success and results somewhere, anywhere first. I guess you don’t.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So you’re saying that just because he was unsuccessful or mediocre as a club GM doesn’t means he will be the same as a NT GM?

I suppose I would prefer to see some success and results somewhere, anywhere first. I guess you don’t.
No, I'm saying (and said) I don't know yet if it's a good hire. He may end up sucking??? But basing it on his time as GM for the Union, especially without adding in his time with NAC Breda and AZ Alkmaar (he did pretty well with them), none of which is really what he'll be doing for the NT. Somethings are similar, for sure, but very different working with a NT compared to a club.

Who else did you have in mind as a GM?

Reaction Score
No, I'm saying (and said) I don't know yet if it's a good hire. He may end up sucking??? But basing it on his time as GM for the Union, especially without adding in his time with NAC Breda and AZ Alkmaar (he did pretty well with them), none of which is really what he'll be doing for the NT. Somethings are similar, for sure, but very different working with a NT compared to a club.

Who else did you have in mind as a GM?

Well, if this were American Football and there were 30-40 nations better than us without even trying then we basically hired the Browns GM.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well, if this were American Football and there were 30-40 nations better than us without even trying then we basically hired the Browns GM.
So basically you don't have any ideas (or knowledge) yourself, you just like to whine and complain. Got it.

Reaction Score
So basically you don't have any ideas (or knowledge) yourself, you just like to whine and complain. Got it.

Not sure where you get that one from hoss. That’s a pretty good analogy.

He’s not that accomplished. His powers are limited to the USMNT, this is a feel good hire.

I think there were better choices available, Garth Lagerwey for one.

Reaction Score
No, no, no ... the cougar argues for argument sake yet surely he must be absolutelys correct. Capiche? Time will tell ... ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom