OT - USMNT at Rent Oct 10th | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT - USMNT at Rent Oct 10th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Huh? Am I reading that right? People should complain to Warde that there was no one directing traffic for a soccer game at a venue where UConn is a tenant and UConn was in no way affiliated with?? And it reflects poorly for UConn??

Ok - I guess I should complain to UConn about the stupid PC Richard whistle because they are the main tenant even though it's IMG who controls it and sold the advertisement because, as IMG told me, UConn endowment sucks!!

UConns fault too that east Hartford traffic cops don't know how to control the traffic signals correctly - right?

Rentschler for better or worse is associated almost solely with UConn football and the average fan doesn't separate the field from the team. You had 40K there for a monumental moment and you it up. Maybe when that many people show you shouldn't drop the ball. If you have a poor time at the soccer game and might be new to UConn football, you might consider not coming back. It's not Uconns fault nor should they be blamed for it. I never once said that in my post. You weren't there last night so your frame of reference is skewed. I heard first hand people who were disappointed and said it affected their view of the experience at the Rent. How does that not affect UConn Football?

Don't bitch anymore when we can't get more than 22k for a game when you had a chance to show what a good experience a day at the rent can be to 40k who probably don't go to a lot of football games and you royally screwed it up.

On top of the parking, they couldn't get the video board to work for the first 20 mins of the game and then failed twice to play Donovan's tribute video for one of the biggest moments in USMNT history. Like it or not The Rent = UConn Football.

If mike Enright doesn't care, then he is short sighted. We may disagree here buts it what I heard and experienced last night.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
My obligatory soccer post gripe: keep this off the football board during the regular season. Its friggin gameday and we're talking about some puss on a pitch. Its embarrassing.

And Zoo, I love ya but continuing to knock Edsall after our last 4 years, well, have at it. But it's foolish.

My obligatory don't click on stories that start with "OT:" post.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Rentschler for better or worse is associated almost solely with UConn football and the average fan doesn't separate the field from the team. You had 40K there for a monumental moment and you ed it up. Maybe when that many people show you shouldn't drop the ball. If you have a poor time at the soccer game and might be new to UConn football, you might consider not coming back. It's not Uconns fault nor should they be blamed for it. I never once said that in my post. You weren't there last night so your frame of reference is skewed. I heard first hand people who were disappointed and said it affected their view of the experience at the Rent. How does that not affect UConn Football?

Don't bitch anymore when we can't get more than 22k for a game when you had a chance to show what a good experience a day at the rent can be to 40k who probably don't go to a lot of football games and you royally screwed it up.

On top of the parking, they couldn't get the video board to work for the first 20 mins of the game and then failed twice to play Donovan's tribute video for one of the biggest moments in USMNT history. Like it or not The Rent = UConn Football.

If mike Enright doesn't care, then he is short sighted. We may disagree here buts it what I heard and experienced last night.

Well again - let us know what happens after you call - if you don't call it's just bitching. I can supply the phone number. I'm sure Mike will show sympathy and then say politely that you are barking up the wrong tree.

How does it not affect UConn Football? If you know what you are talking about and not blaming someone who isn't responsible for it - hopefully they ALL call UConn so they find out it's not on them or have followed the funding and have read publications which clearly state over the years that it is not managed by UConn.

The bonus to all this - should also put an end of stadium on campus. Imagine how long it would take to get out of there on game day?

I am sure you corrected everyone last night, right?

Bonehead

Reaction Score
For better or worse it says UCONN on the side of the building. It's unavoidable. I'll bet Warde got 100's of complaints about security, no police directing traffic, cost to park, scoreboard not working. I won't even get into the bathroom lines which took a half hour. Soccer matches need porta-potties because there are no commercials and you have a 15 minute window at half time.

Even such I really enjoyed the night. When the fans are into it, and it's sellout then the bad stuff seems to be negated.

And what a treat. Nobody left early.

images
Any press is good press - right?

FYI this picture was shown on the CNN Aaron Hernandez special multiple times and the phrase UConn Football at least 6 times when it came to Dennis Hernandez, DJ and Aaron.

Bonehead

Reaction Score
Rentschler for better or worse is associated almost solely with UConn football and the average fan doesn't separate the field from the team. You had 40K there for a monumental moment and you ed it up. Maybe when that many people show you shouldn't drop the ball. If you have a poor time at the soccer game and might be new to UConn football, you might consider not coming back. It's not Uconns fault nor should they be blamed for it. I never once said that in my post. You weren't there last night so your frame of reference is skewed. I heard first hand people who were disappointed and said it affected their view of the experience at the Rent. How does that not affect UConn Football?

FYI - if my response came across snarky not my intent - not at you - my apologies.
My point - I associate the XL with the Whalers but that isn't who I would blame if the smell of elephant dung upset me while the circus was in town.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I left work at 4:00 to pick up my kids. The drive on I-84 West usually takes 20 minutes but took 40 for some unknown reason. Picked up the kids and was on the way at 5:00. The ride to the Rent usually takes 50 minutes. Yesterday it took 2 hours and another 30 minutes to get into the lot. I got in 20 minutes into the game. Some Ecuador fans came in halfway through the 2nd half. Friday night events are a nightmare. Two years ago, we were heading up to Game for First Night and after 2 hours on the road had to turn around when it became apparent we would miss most of it (and my fighting kids were driving me crazy....).

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Huh? Am I reading that right? People should complain to Warde that there was no one directing traffic for a soccer game at a venue where UConn is a tenant and UConn was in no way affiliated with?? And it reflects poorly for UConn??

Ok - I guess I should complain to UConn about the stupid PC Richard whistle because they are the main tenant even though it's IMG who controls it and sold the advertisement because, as IMG told me, UConn endowment sucks!!

UConns fault too that east Hartford traffic cops don't know how to control the traffic signals correctly - right?
The simplest and easiest explanation : it's Obama's fault. You know, he moved my keys the other day? YOU CAN'T PROVE HE DIDN'T!!!

Reaction Score
I was there last night. Arrived around 4:30 with no traffic issues. The thing that baffles me is on non-Uconn event days they cram EVERYONE into the blue lots. They don't use any of the red lots to my knowledge. That causes extra delays on the roads around the stadium and delays in getting everyone parked. They need to get the traffic flowing to different areas.

And the folks that do get stuck in traffic- try downloading the app Waze. Great for redirecting around traffic and as a bonus it also serves as a radar detector.

Reaction Score
I think what is does show is that UConn should control the facility. Whatever deal the state has with the operator, isn't in anyone's interest. What you saw last night was the difference. Traffic was affected by the non-FB newbs trying to navigate the site and surroundings. Did anyone notice the complete lack of security? US Soccer will be most disturbed by that. A guy ran out the crowd and posed for selfies with the Ecuador keeper for about a minute without a single security guard reacting, then ran back into the stands and changed his outfit so security couldn't ID him for at least 20 minute, before I stopped paying attention. The crowd could have burned the place to the ground if it were so inclined.

As for traffic, I think it was a matter of circumstance. I walked from the outlaws section all the way around to the scoreboard side, got in my car and hit route 15 off silver lane in exactly 16 minutes.

The Outlaws send out a parking 'pass' with directions in advance of the game. No issue for me, even if I had to use Silver Lane instead of going the back way through Willow Street. Those guys know how to have a fund tie at a futball match. Field did not look good, either. A lot of players slipping, even the Keepers on punts.

Reaction Score
Unbelievably off base. UConn is a tenant but is the primary tenant and has pull. It's way more effective of approaching them then to try to call AEG. Warden has pull with them and the governor, I don't..
And, this had absolutely nothing to do with UCONN as tenant, primary tenant, or El Supremo tenant. While Manuel may have an interest in overall Rent operations, your post was "Unbelievably off base." Rightfully, Manuel should be focused on the dearth of gridiron offense and dubious coaching.

Reaction Score
My obligatory soccer post gripe: keep this off the football board during the regular season. Its friggin gameday and we're talking about some puss on a pitch. Its embarrassing.

And Zoo, I love ya but continuing to knock Edsall after our last 4 years, well, have at it. But it's foolish.

Jimmy doesn't like this thread because if people see this thread, they might think we have a bad football team.

Ummm OK.

Reaction Score
Another story of agony that won't help UCONN convince people to come to football games (if read by a casual fan): http://www.courant.com/opinion/op-e...ter-rentschler-field-socc-20141013-story.html

I agree that parking at the Rent can be an adventure, especially when the flip every year on allowing or not allowing cars to park on the grass and pavement on the north side of Willow Street opposite Cabella's. It's also pricy parking for a grass (or mud) field 1/2 to 1 mile from the stadium.

That said, the writer here bears some of the blame. A parent should know beforehand what their child can and cannot tolerate. Not like the parking experience, especially at night, at the Rent is a secret. I have been bringing my son to sporting events since he was 5 starting with high school games where the crowds all the way up to his first Yankees game when he was 7. He has the patience and understanding to sit (or stand) through a game and knows the bigger the stadium, the bigger the hassle. I also do not bring him to night games yet because I am uncomfortable. I want to make sure that we both have a fun time at a game.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I agree that parking at the Rent can be an adventure, especially when the flip every year on allowing or not allowing cars to park on the grass and pavement on the north side of Willow Street opposite Cabella's. It's also pricy parking for a grass (or mud) field 1/2 to 1 mile from the stadium.

That said, the writer here bears some of the blame. A parent should know beforehand what their child can and cannot tolerate. Not like the parking experience, especially at night, at the Rent is a secret. I have been bringing my son to sporting events since he was 5 starting with high school games where the crowds all the way up to his first Yankees game when he was 7. He has the patience and understanding to sit (or stand) through a game and knows the bigger the stadium, the bigger the hassle. I also do not bring him to night games yet because I am uncomfortable. I want to make sure that we both have a fun time at a game.

I agree with you - this guy is a weenie. My point is that he represents a good chunk of Connecticut fans with the complaints about parking/traffic. Connecticut people LOVE to complain. About the only thing we love equally as much as complaining is listening/reading other people complain and then adopting those complaints as our own. Weather, traffic, parking, time of game, etc. An article like this will encourage the segment of complaining dotes in this state to fear coming to the Rent for all future events and that is not a good thing for UCONN football going forward.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
FWIW, the crowd and the field were much better at The Rent then they were tonight in Boca.

Reaction Score
FWIW, the crowd and the field were much better at The Rent then they were tonight in Boca.

Good, a solid crowd will keep the Rent on the USMNT's radar, especially for friendlies as there are currently just 2 soccer specific stadiums in the Northeast (Chester PA [Philly] and Harrison NJ [NY/NJ]). The Rent, while not a soccer specific stadium, has a big enough of a field to fit a FIFA regulated pitch and is the right size (25K to 40K). Rochester NY's stadium is too small (15K) for USMNT. That said, the field still needs work, which has been a common theme for several years now.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The crowd wasn't even close. I didn't watch closely but the field looked in better shape than the Rent.

Reaction Score
The crowd wasn't even close. I didn't watch closely but the field looked in better shape than the Rent.

No way was the field better. The Rent was more off color and the football lines still visible. But the field was still sound. Last night's field was atrocious. Honestly, the Rent should have nothing to worry about because Boca renewed some perspective. The fans have an appetite for the games up here. The Miami area is a dead end.

Reaction Score
No way was the field better. The Rent was more off color and the football lines still visible. But the field was still sound. Last night's field was atrocious. Honestly, the Rent should have nothing to worry about because Boca renewed some perspective. The fans have an appetite for the games up here. The Miami area is a dead end.

I saw Guzan's plant foot slips at least twice while punting. Field was not that good, regardless f how the painted over football lines made it look. S Florida except for the Dolphins and the Heat when they have a big name (Shaq, LeBron) is a black hole for professional sports. Hopefully MLS saw that too and will rethink about placing Beckman's team there.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Like I said I didn't really pay attention. Field looked in better shape but if you guys say it was garbage I believe you.

Pretty clear it's not a facility they are competiting against anymore. South Florida just doesn't work for spectator sports. The Florida Panthers pictures are downright hilarious.

I have been to the PGA resort in West Palm the last few winters. I almost understand why they wouldn't attend games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom