OT - USMNT at Rent Oct 10th | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - USMNT at Rent Oct 10th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Maybe it is but the field looked like garbage and nobody wants to send international players into a situation where if they get hurt they have the field to blame. It looked pretty gd awful.

Yes. there was some wear where the FB teams stand on the sidelines. But the field was pristine this summer when the USWNT played. But I'm thinking positively hoping that fact and tonight's attendance carries the day.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm glad that I got the chance to see Landon's last game. A couple of notes:

1) The traffic was ridiculous. Sorry, WestHartHusk, it was brutal. I was up in the nose-bleeds, so I could see the line of cars still entering the stadium even at halftime. And it took me an hour and a half to get home after the game (I live 25 minutes away). Brutally bad, and it seems that the workers somehow make it worse than it would be without them.

2) The field looked bad. Whaler's right. Chunks of turf coming up all over.

3) The game was fun from a spectacle standpoint. Landon put on a good show, and he was inches away from going out with a goal. It's amazing how little offensive pressure we were able to create once he left the field. It was a testament to how good he still is, and I'll hate to see him go.

4) The fans from Ecuador really represented well. A large contingent, all wearing their colors. And really respectful as well, from the people that I saw and met.

5) From a soccer standpoint, I thought that Mix Diskerud had a very good game. The center mid role suits him when he is the target man. I'm wondering if we'll see more of that.

6) The American Outlaws....now THAT is how fans are supposed to behave!!! The rest of the crowd was extremely passive for most of the game, but it was fun to see the Outlaws in action.

All in all, a good time and a good experience. But The Rent does have some stuff to really work out...

Reaction Score
Sort of like your excitement over the tactic change when he left with the lead....

That doesn't even make sense. I guess you prefer the US playing bunker ball. That's so Edsall.

Reaction Score
3) The game was fun from a spectacle standpoint. Landon put on a good show, and he was inches away from going out with a goal. It's amazing how little offensive pressure we were able to create once he left the field. It was a testament to how good he still is, and I'll hate to see him go.

Can't stop laughing.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Can't stop laughing.

What can't you stop laughing about?

If you don't think it's true, then you either weren't watching the game, or your hatred of Donovan goes beyond your willingness to admit the truth. Once Donovan came out of the game, it was literally Mix Diskerud and nobody else. Jozy had some good hold up play, but the ball barely got to him without anyone to bridge the gap. Wondo barely touched the ball also. So I guess...keep laughing? :confused:

Reaction Score

If you don't think it's true, then you either weren't watching the game, or your hatred of Donovan goes beyond your willingness to admit the truth. Once Donovan came out of the game, it was literally Mix Diskerud and nobody else. Jozy had some good hold up play, but the ball barely got to him without anyone to bridge the gap. Wondo barely touched the ball also. So I guess...keep laughing? :confused:

I really can't because most of the real chances had little to do with him, other than his errant shot on goal. And he really ought to still stand out amongst much of B list out there. Mix was misused as he appeared to be a holding mid.

Sorry but you must be blinded by your hero worship, I can't applaud a guy who sucked up all this hype and didn't have the drive to match it. If Demarcus Beasley had Donovan's ability he would have been worth 50 million.

Good riddance to him. So glad that we have a younger crew of real killers that want to do more than stay in Cali and basically play with themselves.

Reaction Score

And the second half of that game can't be even taken remotely seriously. All those subs screw everything up. It's not about winning but getting guys on the field.

And if it were up to me, Wondo would never wear a US kit again. He's just not worth it.

Mix and Yedlin were really impressive.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I really can't because most of the real chances had little to do with him, other than his errant shot on goal. And he really ought to still stand out amongst much of B list out there. Mix was misused as he appeared to be a holding mid.

Sorry but you must be blinded by your hero worship, I can't applaud a guy who sucked up all this hype and didn't have the drive to match it. If Demarcus Beasley had Donovan's ability he would have been worth 50 million.

Good riddance to him. So glad that we have a younger crew of real killers that want to do more than stay in Cali and basically play with themselves.

I don't have any hero worship. You're just absolutely over the top in your hatred of a player that you lovingly refer to as "landycakes". There was no doubt that he was going up against a B Squad, so I should absolutely expect him to be the class on the field. And he was! It got to the point where I turned to my friend 20 minutes in and asked, "Is Ecuador letting him do all this on purpose???" I thought that the fix was on. And when he came off, the person that suffered the most was Diskerud, because he had literally nobody to work with.

I think we have a young crew of real killers, but I'm not sure how many were on the field tonight. One thing is for sure. The old killer was the best of the bunch today, whether you want to admit it or not...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
And the second half of that game can't be even taken remotely seriously. All those subs screw everything up. It's not about winning but getting guys on the field.

And if it were up to me, Wondo would never wear a US kit again. He's just not worth it.

Mix and Yedlin were really impressive.

Well, at least we agree on two things. Mix played a great game, and Wondo isn't worth the shoes he plays in. I guess we should leave it at that...

Reaction Score
I don't have any hero worship. You're just absolutely over the top in your hatred of a player that you lovingly refer to as "landycakes". There was no doubt that he was going up against a B Squad, so I should absolutely expect him to be the class on the field. And he was! It got to the point where I turned to my friend 20 minutes in and asked, "Is Ecuador letting him do all this on purpose???" I thought that the fix was on. And when he came off, the person that suffered the most was Diskerud, because he had literally nobody to work with.

I think we have a young crew of real killers, but I'm not sure how many were on the field tonight. One thing is for sure. The old killer was the best of the bunch today, whether you want to admit it or not...

He was not in any way shape or form the class of the field.

Reaction Score
I know a lot of you are b&tching about the field, but I was talking to the assistant greens keeper this week and he was saying that what we are using now is a hybrid. It's a cross, ah, Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. He said that the amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 90 minutes on it in the early evening and then take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt on this stuff.

Reaction Score
He was actual tailgating before the game, got a picture of him right before he was headed in. He had no traffic problems.

upload_2014-10-11_2-5-47.jpeg

Reaction Score
That doesn't even make sense. I guess you prefer the US playing bunker ball. That's so Edsall.

My obligatory soccer post gripe: keep this off the football board during the regular season. Its friggin gameday and we're talking about some puss on a pitch. Its embarrassing.

And Zoo, I love ya but continuing to knock Edsall after our last 4 years, well, have at it. But it's foolish.

Reaction Score
I'm glad that I got the chance to see Landon's last game. A couple of notes:

1) The traffic was ridiculous. Sorry, WestHartHusk, it was brutal. I was up in the nose-bleeds, so I could see the line of cars still entering the stadium even at halftime. And it took me an hour and a half to get home after the game (I live 25 minutes away). Brutally bad, and it seems that the workers somehow make it worse than it would be without them.

2) The field looked bad. Whaler's right. Chunks of turf coming up all over.

4) The fans from Ecuador really represented well. A large contingent, all wearing their colors. And really respectful as well, from the people that I saw and met.

5) From a soccer standpoint, I thought that Mix Diskerud had a very good game. The center mid role suits him when he is the target man. I'm wondering if we'll see more of that.

6) The American Outlaws....now THAT is how fans are supposed to behave!!! The rest of the crowd was extremely passive for most of the game, but it was fun to see the Outlaws in action.

All in all, a good time and a good experience. But The Rent does have some stuff to really work out...

Everything reflected not great for UCONN football. One guy even said he was going to call Warde to complain. He had never been to a football game. People who got out at 5PM to think that they were going to make it, well it was bad planning.

Still not sure what they did with the lots and car flow at Rent. I entered the same way I have every game but ended up being directed to a lot that I have not parked in since Teggart kicked the FG in the snow. No signs for parking, people just stuck at Cabelas not knowing what to do. It was 5:30PM and there were no orange cones laid down no signs.

Great night. Mix Player of the Game. Yedlin - he is fast.

I enjoyed nonetheless.

Reaction Score
rich1122 said:
Everything reflected not great for UCONN football. One guy even said he was going to call Warde to complain. He had never been to a football game. People who got out at 5PM to think that they were going to make it, well it was bad planning.
Beyond the ill-informed guy's other likely misperceptions, UCONN athletics, similar to the US Soccer Federation (USSF), is a tenant / client of the State of Connecticut's Rentschler Field. Perhaps the ignorant guy will also call the governor. Or, the head of LAZ or whichever company is now sub-contracted to (mis)manage parking. Or, the heads of the state and East Hartford police for their handling of a 4-car accident likely caused by some dumb drivers. Sh|t happens, was the ignorant guy born yesterday?

Reaction Score
Beyond the ill-informed guy's other likely misperceptions, UCONN athletics, similar to the US Soccer Federation (USSF), is a tenant / client of the State of Connecticut's Rentschler Field. Perhaps the ignorant guy will also call the governor. Or, the head of LAZ or whichever company is now sub-contracted to (mis)manage parking. Or, the heads of the state and East Hartford police for their handling of a 4-car accident likely caused by some dumb drivers. Sh|t happens, was the ignorant guy born yesterday?

Unbelievably off base. UConn is a tenant but is the primary tenant and has pull. It's way more effective of approaching them then to try to call AEG. Warden has pull with them and the governor, I don't.

The fact that no one was directing traffic was a massive mistake that reflect poorly on AEG and UConn (deserved or not). It was bad to a point of absurdity.

Reaction Score
My obligatory soccer post gripe: keep this off the football board during the regular season. Its friggin gameday and we're talking about some puss on a pitch. Its embarrassing.

And Zoo, I love ya but continuing to knock Edsall after our last 4 years, well, have at it. But it's foolish.

It's still football season? Is that what Diaco is coaching?

Reaction Score

We'd be better off pretending that the football team doesn't exist at this point.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Unbelievably off base. UConn is a tenant but is the primary tenant and has pull. It's way more effective of approaching them then to try to call AEG. Warden has pull with them and the governor, I don't.

The fact that no one was directing traffic was a massive mistake that reflect poorly on AEG and UConn (deserved or not). It was bad to a point of absurdity.

Huh? Am I reading that right? People should complain to Warde that there was no one directing traffic for a soccer game at a venue where UConn is a tenant and UConn was in no way affiliated with?? And it reflects poorly for UConn??

Ok - I guess I should complain to UConn about the stupid PC Richard whistle because they are the main tenant even though it's IMG who controls it and sold the advertisement because, as IMG told me, UConn endowment sucks!!

UConns fault too that east Hartford traffic cops don't know how to control the traffic signals correctly - right?

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score

Let us know what Mike Enright of the UConn AD office tells you after you complain about parking issues for the US mens soccer game.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I think what is does show is that UConn should control the facility. Whatever deal the state has with the operator, isn't in anyone's interest. What you saw last night was the difference. Traffic was affected by the non-FB newbs trying to navigate the site and surroundings. Did anyone notice the complete lack of security? US Soccer will be most disturbed by that. A guy ran out the crowd and posed for selfies with the Ecuador keeper for about a minute without a single security guard reacting, then ran back into the stands and changed his outfit so security couldn't ID him for at least 20 minute, before I stopped paying attention. The crowd could have burned the place to the ground if it were so inclined.

As for traffic, I think it was a matter of circumstance. I walked from the outlaws section all the way around to the scoreboard side, got in my car and hit route 15 off silver lane in exactly 16 minutes.

Reaction Score
At least Edsall doesn't take sabbaticals. Donovan did good but he could have done so much more. He is soft and we needed steely eyed killers and he wasn't it, and by now there are a plethora of Americans with his skillset that don't get homesick and depressed when they are needed.

My God, you can be insufferable when you set your mind to it.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I think what is does show is that UConn should control the facility. Whatever deal the state has with the operator, isn't in anyone's interest. What you saw last night was the difference. Traffic was affected by the non-FB newbs trying to navigate the site and surroundings. Did anyone notice the complete lack of security? US Soccer will be most disturbed by that. A guy ran out the crowd and posed for selfies with the Ecuador keeper for about a minute without a single security guard reacting, then ran back into the stands and changed his outfit so security couldn't ID him for at least 20 minute, before I stopped paying attention. The crowd could have burned the place to the ground if it were so inclined.

As for traffic, I think it was a matter of circumstance. I walked from the outlaws section all the way around to the scoreboard side, got in my car and hit route 15 off silver lane in exactly 16 minutes.

The guy who ran on the field was hiding over where my seats were behind the Ecuador goal. 5 minutes after he left the field, security guards FINALLY came over to try to hunt him down and had no idea where he was. I have never, ever ever seen a fan run on the field and get away with it in my life. Not to mention, take a selfie with a player on the field. That speaks very poorly to Rent security and should be addressed ASAP.

Reaction Score
Let us know what Mike Enright of the UConn AD office tells you after you complain about parking issues for the US mens soccer game.
For better or worse it says UCONN on the side of the building. It's unavoidable. I'll bet Warde got 100's of complaints about security, no police directing traffic, cost to park, scoreboard not working. I won't even get into the bathroom lines which took a half hour. Soccer matches need porta-potties because there are no commercials and you have a 15 minute window at half time.

Even such I really enjoyed the night. When the fans are into it, and it's sellout then the bad stuff seems to be negated.

And what a treat. Nobody left early.

images

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members