USF Game | The Boneyard

USF Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Top of the 8th USF gets an unearned run on an error by Siena to go up 3-2. Bottom of the 8th, leadoff walk by Mazzilli. Keep in mind Mazzilli is 18 for 18 stealing this year. Does Penders try to steal Mazzilli, No, does Siena lay down a bunt to get him to second, No. Siena grounds into a DP. Why the hell do you not use your team strength and steal the base or atleast attempt it, especially if your not going to bunt him over. Penders just drives me nuts at times.

Reaction Score
We have had big fielding problems at 3rd since Olt left. Next year Siena will be moved to 2nd. Hopefully Sullivan can handle 3rd at this level.

Reaction Score
Lead off single in bottom of 9th by Yavaronne and some how he gets doubled off first on a sliding catch by the SS out in the outfield. How and why are you off the base that far where you can't get back. Once again Penders didn't try to steal him or atleast sac him down to 2nd. Either way just an absolute stupid base running mistake. Game over. This team continues to kill themselves with fundamental mistakes and why they won't be playing in post season tourney. USF stole 4 bases on us today and manufactured runs. Penders didn't attempt one steal today with our faster runners on base several times. Why do you continue to not use our strength to our advantage?

Reaction Score
Lead off single in bottom of 9th by Yavaronne and some how he gets doubled off first on a sliding catch by the SS out in the outfield. How and why are you off the base that far where you can't get back. Once again Penders didn't try to steal him or atleast sac him down to 2nd. Either way just an absolute stupid base running mistake. Game over. This team continues to kill themselves with fundamental mistakes and why they won't be playing in post season tourney. USF stole 4 bases on us today and manufactured runs. Penders didn't attempt one steal today with our faster runners on base several times. Why do you continue to not use our strength to our advantage?

If I recall correctly Siena did try to bunt Mazzilli over in the 8th. You complain when Penders tries to run and you complain when he doesn't. You can't have it both ways. The USF pitcher did an exceptional job of keeping runners close to the base making it suicidal to attempt to steal.

Reaction Score
If I recall correctly Siena did try to bunt Mazzilli over in the 8th. You complain when Penders tries to run and you complain when he doesn't. You can't have it both ways. The USF pitcher did an exceptional job of keeping runners close to the base making it suicidal to attempt to steal.
I don't recall complaining when he does try to run, it is our team strength. I complained when he had McDowell trying to steal twice in a game which is exactly my point. Fast guys you don't have going and yet you try to run a catcher twice who doesn't have proven speed.

Reaction Score
Game 2, 3-1 lead top of the 9th and first USF player makes an out, then 5 hits for USF and a blown lead. Losing 4-3 going to bottom of the 9th. Not sure Tabakman is the answer as a closer. They had so many chances to really expand the lead during the game but runners got picked off three times. Yes I want aggressive base running, but smart base running would help. Need a rally in the 9th, this would be a devastating loss.

Reaction Score
Game 2, 3-1 lead top of the 9th and first USF player makes an out, then 5 hits for USF and a blown lead. Losing 4-3 going to bottom of the 9th. Not sure Tabakman is the answer as a closer. They had so many chances to really expand the lead during the game but runners got picked off three times. Yes I want aggressive base running, but smart base running would help. Need a rally in the 9th, this would be a devastating loss.

This game is so frustrating - but hey, why should that be any different the rest of the games so far...

Reaction Score
Game Notes:- Billy Ferriter extended his hitting streak to 10 games, which is the longest of his career.
- The Huskies entered the game with 84 thefts in 108 attempts, but were caught stealing five times today.
- UConn is now 2-2 in extra innings games this season.
- Max McDowell’s ninth-inning homerun snapped the 10-game homerless streak for the Huskies.
- Anthony Marzi now has 22 K’s in his last two outings. His 10 strikeouts in today’s contest marks the third time he has recorded double-digit K’s.
- UConn is now 18-1 when leading after eight innings
- The Bulls have now won 11 consecutive games, which is the longest streak since 1996 when they won 14 straight.

Reaction Score
This game is so frustrating - but hey, why should that be any different the rest of the games so far...
Game 3 starts off the same way. Walk to start the game leads to 2 runs, then in the second give up a bunt single to lead off inning, then make an error on a sac bunt, can't even get the out when they are giving it to you. Another run 3-0 going to bottom of the 3rd. Offensively being very aggressive at the plate and nothing to show for it.

Reaction Score
It's still early enough in the game to come back, but the vibe does not seem good at all. Generally speaking, the pitching and even the defense (despite the errors) has been good enough to win these games, but while I think there is plenty of potential with the offense, it continues to struggle. The seem to get a decent amount of runners on base, but they just don't seem to score as much as they should given the base runners that they do generate.

Part of the problem is that the Huskies don't strike me as a fundamentally strong ball club, which is especially important when trying employ small ball tactics such as bunting. I'm not a fan of sacrifice bunting to begin with, but it seems that most of their bunt attempts simply don't work. If you can't lay down a bunt, it is simply giving away strikes and outs. It would seem to me that UConn is just better off swinging away the great majority of cases.

Reaction Score
Ward's career at UConn has been a constant series of injuries. Obviously, it has hurt his development. He was considered a MLB high draft prospect in H.S. Looks like he'll have to return for his senior year.

Reaction Score
Ward's career at UConn has been a constant series of injuries. Obviously, it has hurt his development. He was considered a MLB high draft prospect in H.S. Looks like he'll have to return for his senior year.

In this case, I believe Ward was hit by a line drive. If Ward does miss time from this injury, Tabakman would certainly be the odds on favorite to start next weekend. The nature of college baseball demands that your best pitchers are available for the weekend conference series. Besides, when Ward missed his start during the Georgetown series, Tabakman got the nod.

Reaction Score
UConn offense is perking up. 4-3 score, one out, bases loaded for UConn in the bottom of the 8th.

Reaction Score
Bases loaded 1 out and they get a strike out then grounder to get out of it. once again this team fails to make contact when they need it. Story of this season.

Reaction Score
So much for the offense perking up. UConn strands three on base in the bottom of the 8th. 4-3 South Florida lead.

Reaction Score
By the way, I especially don't like having Siena bunting with runners on first and second. even if it did work. I'd rather have an extra swing of the bat to get the runner in, then give up an out.

Reaction Score
By the way, I especially don't like having Siena bunting with runners on first and second. even if it did work. I'd rather have an extra swing of the bat to get the runner in, then give up an out.
Normally I would agree if there was just a guy at first, but in this case it made it 2nd and 3rd with 1 out and you just have to be able to get a runner home from third and less then 2 outs. I almost wouldn't have mind them trying to steal 2nd and 3rd since you had two fast runners on in Ferriter and Mazzilli, but stealing hasn't worked out too well this weekend. Anyways a 1,2,3 ninth and another close loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom