USF Blog Nails It | The Boneyard

USF Blog Nails It

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
http://www.voodoofive.com/2012/2/8/...-competitive-football-invites-memphis-to-join

Don't think Memphis is bad? Don't want to believe me? That's fine. No skin off my back.

Take it from the words and reactions of those who have shared a conference with them. Who have seen them look as impressive in MBB as possible (USF-Memphis was a slaughter). They are not impressed. They do not care. They realize this is nothing- NOTHING- but a complete failure, as is every other move this conference has made.

SMU. Houston. Memphis.

The USF/Louisville/Cincinnati base knows these people. They shared a house with these people. And they never wanted to see them again.

Heed their warning.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The general premise is correct. The BE is conf USA. What saddens me is not so much that Memphis is bad at football, but that it's just a lousy university. I feel the same way about Houston, and Boise. SMU is a solid, upstanding university with a great alumni association. UCF is a competitive university.

If the BCS AQ system is going away, why not either create a local regional conference with the likes of UMass and Temple, or at least cherry pick the strong universities, like Tulane and Tulsa. At least those conferences would have something going for them. Remaining in this conference is a ticket to irrelevance for UConn.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Memphis State and Houston.

The chance to see UConn play mid-major football teams, representing diploma mills, on a rotating basis, against whom they have nothing in common AND are not driveable road games.

What a combination!

Reaction Score
The general premise is correct. The BE is conf USA. What saddens me is not so much that Memphis is bad at football, but that it's just a lousy university. I feel the same way about Houston, and Boise. SMU is a solid, upstanding university with a great alumni association. UCF is a competitive university.

If the BCS AQ system is going away, why not either create a local regional conference with the likes of UMass and Temple, or at least cherry pick the strong universities, like Tulane and Tulsa. At least those conferences would have something going for them. Remaining in this conference is a ticket to irrelevance for UConn.

IF the BCS system were to be replaced by an actual, true playoff system, rather than the garbage they are labeling as a 'playoff' right now, a complete geographic reconstruction of intercollegiate athletic conferences, is exactly what you'd see happen.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
B-b-b-but... Fex Ex!

The unrealized potential!

Hey?

Is this thing on?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
B-b-b-but... Fex Ex!

The unrealized potential!

Hey?

Is this thing on?

I don't understand the FedEx thing. It's just a company. Who cares? Only in a city as pathetic as Memphis could the mere fact that a decent company is HQ there be considered relevant. Stamford CT is far more important on that measure. Hell, imagine if we could add San Jose State! Intel! Adobe! Rutgers isn't far from the UPS HQ but I don't hear them acting like it's a big deal.

Reaction Score
Rutgers isn't far from the UPS HQ but I don't hear them acting like it's a big deal.
Unless Rutgers moved near UPS' HQ in Atlanta, that may be a factor. ;) On the other hand, your point is relevant and Joisey has plenty of corp HQs.

Reaction Score
The main people here that think UM is a good thing know nothing about the place.

Reaction Score
During the blizzard of '78 a friend of mine got caught in of all places a strip joint on a side street in providence. Sounded ok to a bunch of college guys, except that after 2 days, it was pretty skeevy, the beer ran out, the were older and not that attractive without makeup, and there was nothing to eat. That is Memphis.

In memphis and bosie we have added two places that are little more than 4 year community colleges. What a sad sad state of affairs...

Reaction Score
As a college student at Trinity during the blizzard of '78, stuck on campus with no supplies coming in but my wrestling coach stuck on campus and requiring us to practice daily (I remember it taking over half an hour to walk about 500 yards to the gym through the unplowed snow), you are not going to get me to believe that I wouldn't have had a better time stuck in a strip club.

Sorry -- not buying.

Reaction Score
As a college student at Trinity during the blizzard of '78, stuck on campus with no supplies coming in but my wrestling coach stuck on campus and requiring us to practice daily (I remember it taking over half an hour to walk about 500 yards to the gym through the unplowed snow), you are not going to get me to believe that I wouldn't have had a better time stuck in a strip club.

Sorry -- not buying.
Well, yeah, compared to that, maybe...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Maybe these schools will use this opportunity as a catalyst to overall improvement. UConn was headed straight downhill as an institution around the time they joined the Big East.

Reaction Score
Maybe these schools will use this opportunity as a catalyst to overall improvement. UConn was headed straight downhill as an institution around the time they joined the Big East.
I don't really agree with that Waquoit. It obvioulsy needed a change in vision, and it got that with the efforts of the Board of Trustees, especially Lew Rome as Chairman, in the mid-80s. But before that it was on a par with what it saw as its peers, UMass, Rhode Island, New Hampshire. Not great but not awful, either. Adn it was in need of some new investment in its physical plant for sure, but it had also seen several new buildings put up in the 1970s and early 1980s. The Physics building opened in around 1972-73 ish, the new School of fine Arts in the late 70s-early 80s, and there were others. In fact, there was a concerted effort made starting in the mid 1980s to upgrade the qulaity of the student body through better and more aggressive recruiting, more out of state recruiting (something for which they were criticized by some for what its worth) and so forth. Intersting that that all started to come together at the same time that Calhoun arrived. And really started about the time the Dream Season hit. But like the Flutie Factor, I think if you really look at the details you'll discover that much of what happened in terms of the upgrade of the Universtiy would have happened without Jim Calhoun. he absolutely made it way more fun, though.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I don't really agree with that Waquoit. It obvioulsy needed a change in vision, and it got that with the efforts of the Board of Trustees, especially Lew Rome as Chairman, in the mid-80s. But before that it was on a par with what it saw as its peers, UMass, Rhode Island, New Hampshire. Not great but not awful, either. Adn it was in need of some new investment in its physical plant for sure, but it had also seen several new buildings put up in the 1970s and early 1980s. The Physics building opened in around 1972-73 ish, the new School of fine Arts in the late 70s-early 80s, and there were others. In fact, there was a concerted effort made starting in the mid 1980s to upgrade the qulaity of the student body through better and more aggressive recruiting, more out of state recruiting (something for which they were criticized by some for what its worth) and so forth. Intersting that that all started to come together at the same time that Calhoun arrived. And really started about the time the Dream Season hit. But like the Flutie Factor, I think if you really look at the details you'll discover that much of what happened in terms of the upgrade of the Universtiy would have happened without Jim Calhoun. he absolutely made it way more fun, though.

UConn was the top public University in New England even in the 80's. UMass wasn't too far behind, but the others were not really very close. But none of the New England public schools had any national profile, except in certain fields. I do think the Big East, and basketball success helped change that, and it certainly caused the state to pay attention to UConn and invest in it for the first time. My family moved to Connecticut from the midwest, and were surprised at the low level of regard people had for the flagship state university. Yale was and is the standard bearer, and others like Trinity and Wesleyan were well regarded. It's the same across the region. MA is littered with great schools. RI has Brown, NH has Dartmouth, Maine has Colby, Bates and Bowdoin and VT has Middlebury.

Reaction Score
UConn was the top public University in New England even in the 80's. UMass wasn't too far behind, but the others were not really very close. But none of the New England public schools had any national profile, except in certain fields. I do think the Big East, and basketball success helped change that, and it certainly caused the state to pay attention to UConn and invest in it for the first time. My family moved to Connecticut from the midwest, and were surprised at the low level of regard people had for the flagship state university. Yale was and is the standard bearer, and others like Trinity and Wesleyan were well regarded. It's the same across the region. MA is littered with great schools. RI has Brown, NH has Dartmouth, Maine has Colby, Bates and Bowdoin and VT has Middlebury.

I don't think that there is any question that both the political will to rebuild UConn and UConn's perception outside of greater Hartford (especially in Fairfield County) benefitted greatly from our basketball success..

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I don't think that there is any question that both the political will to rebuild UConn and UConn's perception outside of greater Hartford (especially in Fairfield County) benefitted greatly from our basketball success..

If only they had fixed it up before I left.

Reaction Score
For every reason that people are unhappy about Memphis joining the Big East, I can only imagine the commentary from Ohio State, Michigan, or Clemson should Uconn be invited to the Big10 or ACC...
Frankly, I'd put Providence and Memphis over Storrs/E. Hartford any day of the week if we're talking cities.

Reaction Score
There is always the inevitable intellectual debate about how big the impact was of our athletic success on the substantial upgrade in UConn's physical plant and academic standing. Some like to argue for and against that premise. For me its much simpler. Before we were a Big East basketball power, before the late 80's, I can't ever remember wearing UConn shirts or hats when I ventured out in other parts of the country. When asked where I went to school I would answer The University of Connecticut, using formality in a shallow attempt to give it more prestige. But once we won the NIT and started contending for Big East titles and higher NCAA seedings, I walked a little taller, wore more of the paraphanalia and proudly answered "UConn" when asked where I'd gone to school. And it wasn't just me. It was also our state legislators and Governors. The purse strings were loosened with a lot more pride. For me its not even close. Our athletic success, specifically Jim Calhoun's basketball success, did more than anything else to propel UConn forward.

Reaction Score
Anyone remember before Calhoun there was debate as to whether we should leave the Big East and go to the Yankee Conference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom