USF Blocking UCF from Big East | The Boneyard

USF Blocking UCF from Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's funny that anyone would even want to get into the Big East at this point.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It's funny that anyone would even want to get into the Big East at this point.

I really enjoy your posts. Please, give us some more thoughts on your opinion of UConn and the Big East.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I really enjoy your posts. Please, give us some more thoughts on your opinion of UConn and the Big East.

Why would anyone want to join a league that you don't even know who is in it? UConn wants out. Rutgers wants out. West Virginia wants out. Louisville wants out.

The only damn program worth being in a league with... USF.... IS THE PROGRAM THAT DOESN'T WANT ANY PART OF UCF.

I know that you think that your beloved hybrid basketball conference can continue to rule the world. It can't and it won't, no matter how hard you pray. It's over.

Reaction Score
Is USF really willing to go down with the Titanic? Don't they realize that once the dismantleing of the Big East is complete, that they could be on the outside looking in? After all of the bluster of Tuesday that the remaining Big East schools pledged to rebuild this conference, you're going to throw out one of the best viable candidates out with the bath water? If conference realignment has reached a temporary plateau, & the current membership really wants to make a go of it to not lose their BCS autobid, it time for the remaining schools to literally take the Bulls by their proverbial horns & look out for the common good: Add UCF, Houston, & SMU, call it a day, & go on with business.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Are UCF, Houston and SMU going anywhere? What the heck is the hurry?

Reaction Score
There is no hurry, no one will be invited--unless the lawyers are hashing out totally new agreements never before seen in college sports. The bball schools are never going to tie themselves to a bunch of schools that will insist on more than football only. Ain't gonna happen. Because if schools like Louisville, UConn, RU and WV leave, there's no chance the bball onlies will want to preserve affiliation with the remaining ffball schools.

Reaction Score
Are UCF, Houston and SMU going anywhere? What the heck is the hurry?
This type of blase attitude toward expansion is part of what has really helped destroy the Big East. If the conference had expanded to 10-12 football teams say 4 years ago with UCF, East Carolina and whoever it would have given a chance for rivalries with the new schools to develop. UCF and East Carolina would have benefitted recruiting wise from already being BCS schools and their progams would be more advanced and with this added strength the defections of PITT and Syracuse would not have hurt so bad or maybe not have happened.

The BIG East conference, always reactive, never proactive.....and it has really hurt the conference.

Reaction Score
Is USF really willing to go down with the Titanic? Don't they realize that once the dismantleing of the Big East is complete, that they could be on the outside looking in? After all of the bluster of Tuesday that the remaining Big East schools pledged to rebuild this conference, you're going to throw out one of the best viable candidates out with the bath water? If conference realignment has reached a temporary plateau, & the current membership really wants to make a go of it to not lose their BCS autobid, it time for the remaining schools to literally take the Bulls by their proverbial horns & look out for the common good: Add UCF, Houston, & SMU, call it a day, & go on with business.
Agree. I mean, you have to agree with this statement, because frankly, it's all one can do. Whatever league is formed will have absolutely no stability, but that is unavoidable. Every single participant wants out. But that doesn't mean we do nothing. Re-compose this thing and move forward.

Reaction Score
The BIG East conference, always reactive, never proactive.....and it has really hurt the conference.
This!

The BE could have at the very least attempted to do so many things to save this league, beginning with the early 200'2 the BE had a legitimate opportunity to be proactive and beat the ACC to the punch. Miami was getting antsy, FSU and GT could have been "had" if the league was looking ahead 10-15 years.

Then again in '04/'05 when Marquette and DePaul were invited to join just to "keep the balance". Anyone who didn't see that the go forward money maker in college athletics was all about football is an absolute idiot, and would probably be qualified for 1 job in this world - working in the BE offices.

Posters have asked what the BE (Tranghese/Marinatto) could have done proactively to save the league. there are 2 things, and there are so many more I'd be willing to guess. They failed at getting the BB schools to understand that without a legit FB league, there will one day not be a BB leage.They failed at it because they didn't see it. Perkins did, but they didn't.

They weren't proactive when they could have been on several occassions, we didn't go act but rather reacted, and here we sit today.

But hey, what do I know. I just can't wait for those conference FB games with Navy, Nova, Memphis, UMass, and Air Force. Yayyyyy.

Reaction Score
Is South Florida really allowed to block a program all by itself even if the other football schools want that program in? Is South Florida really that blind to the idea that there is strength in numbers? Rivalries help athletic programs. North Carolina and Duke are miles apart, has that hurt those programs or helped them? For this same reason I think the conference should add UMASS. BTW one benefit of considering UMASS for expansion is that if BC is blocking us from the ACC maybe the idea of UMASS joining the Big East would make them reconsider.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Posters have asked what the BE (Tranghese/Marinatto) could have done proactively to save the league. That was one thing. Get the BB schools to understand that without a legit FB league, there will one day not be a BB leage.

What were they going to use a Jedi mind trick? It's not even close to true. The 7 (or 8) Catholics plus Butler, Xavier, St. Joe's, whoever else you want to dig up are a very legitimate basketball league.

Reaction Score
There is no hurry, no one will be invited--unless the lawyers are hashing out totally new agreements never before seen in college sports. The bball schools are never going to tie themselves to a bunch of schools that will insist on more than football only. Ain't gonna happen. Because if schools like Louisville, UConn, RU and WV leave, there's no chance the bball onlies will want to preserve affiliation with the remaining ffball schools.
Please explain "no one will be invited"?

Reaction Score
What were they going to use a Jedi mind trick? It's not even close to true. The 7 (or 8) Catholics plus Butler, Xavier, St. Joe's, whoever else you want to dig up are a very legitimate basketball league.
Still ain't near what they've had. My entire posts addresses things the BE could have done going back 10+ years ago when they actually had a hand to play. Now, we got no hand to play, all we have is to hope that someone in the league office is a Jedi and can make it rain.

Reaction Score
Please explain "no one will be invited"?

Football onlies will be invited. They won't invite for all sports. The Catholics won't risk tying themselves to schools they have no interest in for the long-term.

Reaction Score
Football onlies will be invited. They won't invite for all sports. The Catholics won't risk tying themselves to schools they have no interest in for the long-term.
I agree and this is a problem. For anyone who thinks the hybrid model hasn't hurt the football league see this.

Couldn't they write into a contract for any new additions to the conference some type of language that would allow the catholic schools to break free from the new football schools without repurcussions if they choose?

Reaction Score
Agree. Therefore the Big East will be settling for mediocrity, instead of becoming the best conference it can be given the teams still out there.

That's why in a way I'm kind of hoping things disintegrate and WVU, UL and TCU go to the B12. If RU and UConn are the last men standing perhaps the ACC will be willing to bring us in knowing they will not be vilified for putting the final nail in the Big East's coffin.

Reaction Score
This!

The BE could have at the very least attempted to do so many things to save this league, beginning with the early 200'2 the BE had a legitimate opportunity to be proactive and beat the ACC to the punch. Miami was getting antsy, FSU and GT could have been "had" if the league was looking ahead 10-15 years.

Then again in '04/'05 when Marquette and DePaul were invited to join just to "keep the balance". Anyone who didn't see that the go forward money maker in college athletics was all about football is an absolute idiot, and would probably be qualified for 1 job in this world - working in the BE offices.

Posters have asked what the BE (Tranghese/Marinatto) could have done proactively to save the league. there are 2 things, and there are so many more I'd be willing to guess. They failed at getting the BB schools to understand that without a legit FB league, there will one day not be a BB leage.They failed at it because they didn't see it. Perkins did, but they didn't.

They weren't proactive when they could have been on several occassions, we didn't go act but rather reacted, and here we sit today.

But hey, what do I know. I just can't wait for those conference FB games with Navy, Nova, Memphis, UMass, and Air Force. Yayyyyy.

If you actually think you just made two concrete proposals, I don't know what to say.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I really believe that this conference has had the writing on the wall since 03. Maybe we didn't realize quite how much then, because the basketball was great. Did what we had to do to ensure the league didn't collapse, but that just delayed the inevitable - it was a marriage of convenience. And maybe there were proactive steps that could have been taken, but I still think we'd end up where we are now. The Big East has been hard at work transforming itself in to Conference USA with better hoops. Not a sustainable direction...

Reaction Score
If you actually think you just made two concrete proposals, I don't know what to say.
those weren't proposals. those are 2 specific opportunities the league had to act differently but didn't.

Reaction Score
#1 I am pretty sure that Waylon Smithers/NelsonMuntz is actually Mike Tranghese

#2 Anyone who hasn't figured out that the hybrid conference and the influence that the Catholic Schools have over the management in Providence is a complete and utter liability is either completely delusional or a total idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom