OT: USF 75, Memphis 51 | The Boneyard

OT: USF 75, Memphis 51

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Seems like the AAC has a lot of blowouts?

This is one time perception is reality.

27 blows outs >19 pts in the league. 26.5% of the games. Second highest.

Only league higher % is the WAC and without looking that is every Chicago State game is 80-40.

If the AAC seems boring it’s also the second slowest league. Only Herb Sendek and the WCC are slower.

The second most blowouts at the second slowest pace (which isn’t easy to pull off).

AAC Fever - catch it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I was at a bar and this game was on one of the TV's.
I was going to start a thread over the curb stomping but was slightly embarrassed to admit to watching the game. As a casual fan of course.

Reaction Score
If we were playing Kwintin Williams 20 or so games ago a lot more up and until now we woulda beat Memphis the other day too...

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

This is not the first time a team with Terrance Samuel on it blew out Memphis in FedEx Forum as an underdog.

Oh, how we miss Neils.
And Bazz. We miss Bazz, too.
And Brimah.
Deandre.
Boat.
If we had those guys, we'd have been better this year, y'know?

Reaction Score
SMFH, real missed opportunity IMO vs Memphis. If that run had started a few minutes earlier...

Reaction Score

Only league higher % is the WAC and without looking that is every Chicago State game is 80-40.

If the AAC seems boring it’s also the second slowest league. Only Herb Sendek and the WCC are slower.

The second most blowouts at the second slowest pace (which isn’t easy to pull off).

AAC Fever - catch it.

Bad travel schedules in low energy gyms?

Reaction Score

AAC Fever - catch it.

Memphis, like UConn, has a lot of new players. After losing Jeremiah Martin against Houston, they have a completely different identity. Martin was the brain. There don’t have the creativity Martin brought.

It’s similar to SMU without Shake Milton. They are limited.

The AAC is a very YOUNG league. All of these new coaches (ECU has yet to hire theirs) are still shaping their teams.

Both Jankovich and Dawkins play slow. Lately, with the unprecedented injuries, they’ve had to play even slower.

However, when you look at what Kelvin Sampson is doing at Houston (particularly the impressive progression of that squad) you can get an appreciation for the stages in development that the SMUs and UCFs are at.

I believe next year Jankovich will finally have a full compliment of scholarships, after being limited by sanctions after Larry Brown. Next year, Dawkins will finally have a healthy squad, led by Aubrey Dawkins, BJ Taylor, and Tacko Fall.

USF’s Gregory will be in year 2, and graduate all his grad transfers.
ECU will have named a coach.
Memphis will be in year 2 with this new group, and a senior heavy class.
SMU gets Isaiah Mike and likely 5 star Tyrese Maxey, to fill out a full roster finally.
Tulsa gets to build on a good recovery season.
Wichita State has an impressive incoming class, headlined by Alex Lomax and Udeze/Moore (who both spurned Butler)
Dunleavy is in year 3 after an impressive jump in the win column.

Hopefully UConn figures it out...

If UCF and SMU had their whole teams this year, it’s a 5 bid league. Not bad from a league we created from scratch. ESPECIALLY not bad for a league that is still young and developing with coaches who haven’t been there long enough to make the transition that Kelvin Sampson has.

The league has effectively grown programs, and is still in that process. We didn’t just choose teams that were hot like the NBE. It worked for the NBE because the C7 has been lackluster, while hiring their old players to resurrect what’s left.

I’m looking forward to the tournament.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Oh, how we miss Neils.
And Bazz. We miss Bazz, too.
And Brimah.
Deandre.
Boat.
If we had those guys, we'd have been better this year, y'know?
Cue the Phil 450° spin move.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Memphis, like UConn, has a lot of new players. After losing Jeremiah Martin against Houston, they have a completely different identity. Martin was the brain. There don’t have the creativity Martin brought.

The AAC is a very YOUNG league. All of these new coaches (ECU has yet to hire theirs) are still shaping their teams.

Both Jankovich and Dawkins play slow. Lately, with the unprecedented injuries, they’ve had to play even slower.

However, when you look at what Kelvin Sampson is doing at Houston (particularly the impressive progression of that squad) you can get an appreciation for the stages in development that the SMUs and UCFs are at.

I believe next year Jankovich will finally have a full compliment of scholarships, after being limited by sanctions after Larry Brown. Next year, Dawkins will finally have a healthy squad, led by Aubrey Dawkins, BJ Taylor, and Tacko Fall.

SMU gets Isaiah Mike and likely 5 star Tyrese Maxey, to fill out a full roster finally.
Wichita State has an impressive incoming class, headlined by Alex Lomax and Udeze/Moore (who both spurned Butler)

If UCF and SMU had their whole teams this year, it’s a 5 bid league. Not bad from a league we created from scratch. ESPECIALLY not bad for a league that is still young and developing with coaches who haven’t been there long enough to make the transition that Kelvin Sampson has.

The league has effectively grown programs, and is still in that process. We didn’t just choose teams that were hot like the NBE. It worked for the NBE because the C7 has been lackluster, while hiring their old players to resurrect what’s left.

If everyone won every game it would be a 12 bid league!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Bad travel schedules in low energy gyms?

Probably a small part.

You don’t see many leagues with top ten KP teams and KP. teams +300.

Plus the bad teams are super thin.

Reaction Score

Particularly not bad when the FLAGSHIP Program UConn (w 4 NCs since 1999) has barely competed.

We can’t be thrilled with the lack of our traditional BE buzz; however, this AAC has chops and darn good coaching. Soon far better rosters - see above.

Reaction Score
If everyone won every game it would be a 12 bid league!

I'll take Gregg Marshall, Tubby Smith, Tim Jankovich, Mick Cronin, Kelvin Sampson, Mike Dunleavy, Frank Haith, Johnny Dawkins, Brian Gregory, Fran Dunphy, ECU New Coach, UConn New Coach...

..and I'll sleep well at night.

Collegiate athletics is a coaching driven business.

Those guys have succeeded, and are succeeding, at building their programs. Wins, attendance, etc, are just a byproduct of time.

As for travel, any conference we are a part of will come with flight time... The AAC has very accessible metro locations. It's actually one of the more airport friendly conferences.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'll take Gregg Marshall, Tubby Smith, Tim Jankovich, Mick Cronin, Kelvin Sampson, Mike Dunleavy, Frank Haith, Johnny Dawkins, Brian Gregory, Fran Dunphy, ECU New Coach, UConn New Coach...

..and I'll sleep well at night.

Collegiate athletics is a coaching driven business.

Those guys have succeeded, and are succeeding, at building their programs. Wins, attendance, etc, are just a byproduct of time.

As for travel, any conference we are a part of will come with flight time... The AAC has very accessible metro locations. It's actually one of the more airport friendly conferences.

Rest well Mr Aresco.

Reaction Score
Rest well Mr Aresco.

Does that make you the commissioner chick of the NBE?

We always knew we were elevating programs. It was a build, so we could give all of our teams a good home.

I think the teams who got promoted have shown solid commitment. Good hires. Decent talent.

If UConn was punking everybody then I'd be more concerned.. but UConn is not.
We got the challenge we demanded. Now its time to demand it from UConn.
That's how conferences are supposed to work.

If UConn was in the NBE, we'd likely be trying to sign a guy like Marcellus Earlington.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Does that make you the commissioner chick of the NBE?

We always knew we were elevating programs. It was a build, so we could give all of our teams a good home.
I think the teams who got promoted have shown solid commitment.

If UConn was punking everybody then I'd be more concerned.. but UConn is not.
We got the challenge we demanded. Now its time to demand it from UConn.
That's how conferences are supposed to work.

If UConn was in the NBE, we'd likely be trying to sign a guy like Marcellus Earlington.

It was and continues to be the only place UConn is welcome.

The New Big East is so much better as a basketball league it’s ‘stunning’ anyone would even try to revist that argument - it was a dumb argument when it started it’s ridiculous now.

Reaction Score

UConn is welcome in the MAC, CUSA, A10, and NBE. (not sure about the Sunbelt.. as they just signed a new deal)

Fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter much if we are in a 3-6 bid league or a 4-7 bid MBB league. The difference is negligible.

The Mens side has a lot more to work with than Geno has to work with.

So tired of all these BS excuses.

Reaction Score

The New Big East is so much better as a basketball league it’s ‘stunning’ anyone would even try to revist that argument - it was a dumb argument when it started it’s ridiculous now.

I see you revised.

Again... It doesn't matter who is better.

The AAC is still in a building process and has closed the gap significantly.

Let this play out. Let these coaches put their programs together like Sampson has.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UConn is welcome in the MAC, CUSA, A10, and NBE. (not sure about the Sunbelt.. as they just signed a new deal)

Fact of the matter is, it doesn't matter much if we are in a 3-6 bid league or a 4-7 bid MBB league. The difference is negligible.

The Mens side has a lot more to work with than Geno has to work with.

So tired of all these BS excuses.

I didn’t make any excuses. I posted some stats about the AAC and you randomly brought the Big East up.

Take it up with Ken Pom if you don’t like it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I see you revised.

Again... It doesn't matter who is better.

The AAC is still in a building process and has closed the gap significantly.

Let this play out. Let these coaches put their programs together like Sampson has.

It’s closed the gap in your mind - the numbers say different.

Reaction Score
It’s closed the gap in your mind - the numbers say different.

What numbers? The numbers of injuries?

Sampson is breaking old records at Houston. Dunleavy doubled his win total. Smith looks like he's about to win 20 games with a squad of transfers. Gregory had USF looking ok yesterday, despite a complete roster turnover. Jankovich is taking a MASH unit to the NIT. Haith finished strong. JT3 said Dawkins whould be C.O.Y (though I disagree), Cronin has his best UC squad ever, Gregg Marshall is challenging for the league in his first year.

Is there no room for context in your "numbers"? The AAC teams this year in the NCAA tournament look like they will play with the best and beat anybody. This is a good group.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What numbers? The numbers of injuries?

Sampson is breaking old records at Houston. Dunleavy doubled his win total. Smith looks like he's about to win 20 games with a squad of transfers.

Is there no room for context in your "numbers"?

Yes there are numbers that measure how good teams are.

You can take the team’s numbers and combine them into conference numbers.

Then you can compare the conference numbers.

The gap between the AAC and Big East has GROWN between 16-18 and that’s with the AAC adding a good Wichita team.

CUSA is closer to the AAC than the AAC is to the Big East. You don’t get to ignore UConn, Memphis, Tulane, ECU and USF - they count too!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom