Use of timeouts/ Time run off after false start penalty | The Boneyard

Use of timeouts/ Time run off after false start penalty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
At the game today - couldnt believe we didnt use our timeouts on defense late in the game down 11. Then on 2nd down and like 12 for louisville they get called for a false start. The clock continues to run after the false start yet its still 2nd down allowing Louisville an extra 35 seconds of run off time before they punt. That rule is a joke - I dont see how the offensive team who is trying to run out the clock should be awarded when they committ a penalty. In essence a team can keep getting false starts intentionally and continue to run off time while the down remains unchanged. Did anybody else notice this? That being said if our lost Head Coach had called his timeouts appropriately in this situation the clock would have been stopped anyway before the false start.

Reaction Score
I'm not 100% sure of the rule, but I have to think we got screwed when the clock was running after their false start. Otherwise as you pointed out, teams would be comitting penalties on purpose to run out the clock.

Reaction Score
I double checked it 0n the play by play. It was 1st and 20 after a holding penalty. After their running back ran for 1 yard there was 4:47 on the clock and it was 2nd and 19 (Here we should have called a time out) Then they ran the clock down to 4:18 when on 2nd down they comitted a false start - clock runs again an now its 2nd down and 24 and when they finally run their 2nd down play there is only 3:38 left. What a joke. Somebody please explain this. Granted our coach should have been calling timeouts right after their 1st down play but thats a joke

Reaction Score
I remember this happening earlier in the year also but I'm not sure against who. Iowa St. possibly???

I also thought we should have used timeouts at the end of the first half. Turned out that we intercepted the pass, and did not need the extra time. However, if we needed to go the length of the field there, it would have been nice to do it with an extra 2 minutes.

Reaction Score
Does anybody on the board know the clock stoppage rule with penalties? That false start time run off was crazy

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Coach P has been awful with clock management all season. This game was just the most glaring example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom