USC hires Lindsay Gottlieb | The Boneyard

USC hires Lindsay Gottlieb

Reaction Score
More details. Bit surprised. Seemed to be well respected in Cleveland

The press release indicated that Gottlieb was lured from the Cavaliers with a significant upgrade in salary and a 6 year deal.

I wonder if she is over the million dollar mark now? After Coach Barnes was upgraded to a million per year I wonder if the cheapskates at ASU are giving any thought to reworking Coach Turner Thorne's salary.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Leaving the Association. Interesting!

"Massive upgrade in program salary and resources."

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I want to see the official announcement, the annual salary and the years on it as after it expires, they will be looking once again. Look at her record, her success was done with Joanne Boyle’s recruits. I know she has a good relationship with Geno and says all the right things, promotes the game but simply really can’t lead a team to consistent elite performances. Sue Samrau would have been a better hire.

To me, any “off the court NBA roles” are complete unknowns as to how effective that person really is. Like I said, Lyndsey did a great job with all the off the court stuff at Cal, her actual coaching left a lot to be desired, I don’t know what has changed in 2 years to think she will be better.

AZgirl

Pac-12 women's sports all day long
Reaction Score
Interesting. I know some people on this board were not impressed with her performance at Cal. And the Bears certainly trailed off towards the end.
I think she got out of Berkeley while the getting was good, for sure. I never wanted to tear down the "great achievement for women" narrative around her move to the NBA, but I often wondered why she was on their radar because I didn't think she was a great coach at Cal.

Reaction Score
I want to see the official announcement, the annual salary and the years on it as after it expires, they will be looking once again. Look at her record, her success was done with Joanne Boyle’s recruits. I know she has a good relationship with Geno and says all the right things, promotes the game but simply really can’t lead a team to consistent elite performances. Sue Samrau would have been a better hire.

To me, any “off the court NBA roles” are complete unknowns as to how effective that person really is. Like I said, Lyndsey did a great job with all the off the court stuff at Cal, her actual coaching left a lot to be desired, I don’t know what has changed in 2 years to think she will be better.
You are spot on with all of your points. Anyone who follows the Pac-12 is laughing at this hire choice.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score

Since USC is a private school, I doubt they'll release her salary . . .

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
The press release indicated that Gottlieb was lured from the Cavaliers with a significant upgrade in salary and a 6 year deal.

I wonder if she is over the million dollar mark now? After Coach Barnes was upgraded to a million per year I wonder if the cheapskates at ASU are giving any thought to reworking Coach Turner Thorne's salary.
ASU missed the NCAA tourney this season, right? I doubt CTT will be getting a raise. If anything, she better be looking for her next job before things get too hot for her. In a significantly less amount of time, Adia has already taken UofA to the national championship game, while ASU has one Eite 8 appearance under CTT, I believe.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
ASU missed the NCAA tourney this season, right? I doubt CTT will be getting a raise. If anything, she better be looking for her next job before things get too hot for her. In a significantly less amount of time, Adia has already taken UofA to the national championship game, while ASU has one Eite 8 appearance under CTT, I believe.
I think she's got some grace period. She's gotta be second among active coaches in career Pac 12 wins behind Tara by miles. If last year turns into a trend that lasts several years, maybe then her seat will start to get warm. But she's been quite successful there for a long time.

Yeah, their rival down the road exploding onto the scene lately probably is a cause of much consternation among ASU fans.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I think she's got some grace period. She's gotta be second among active coaches in career Pac 12 wins behind Tara by miles. If last year turns into a trend that lasts several years, maybe then her seat will start to get warm. But she's been quite successful there for a long time.

Yeah, their rival down the road exploding onto the scene lately probably is a cause of much consternation among ASU fans.
I doubt the A.D. waits "several years" of a downward trend. Obviously, a lot depends on the terms of her contract (and the buyout), but another season of missing the NCAA tournament ends up being two in a row . . .

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I doubt the A.D. waits "several years" of a downward trend. Obviously, a lot depends on the terms of her contract (and the buyout), but another season of missing the NCAA tournament ends up being two in a row . . .
I don't know how big of a priority wbb is. ASU mens hoops has gone thru quite a few coaches. Often what they get is about the same, or worse, than what they had before. Hurley was an "exciting" hire but from my viewpoint not really any different/better than Herbie.

Anyway, point is ASU could do much worse than CTT. Not sure how much better they would be able to lure there. As far as trends, looking at her record looks like they've dipped a bit ever since the '15-'16 season. Since then it's been just over .500 in conference and middle of the pack finishes (until this year).

Reaction Score
CTT has no need to be worried about her career as she is the most successful coach in ASU history.

Elite 8 2007, 2009
16 20+ win seasons
31 wins 2007
29 wins 2015
19-14 record in the big dance
504 career victories
.621 winning per cent
2016 Pac coach of the year

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

USC and UCLA are the only two "major" Division 1 schools in So. Cal. USC not a coveted destination for elite talented players coming out of high school. They've been mediocre for years. Hard to recruit top rated players there. UCLA has a direct pipeline to Winward and Harvard Westlake high schools that produce a lot of very talented players (Jordin Canada - Seattle Storm/KiKi Iriafen - Stanford).

USC has not been attractive to local top ranked players for years. USC is a football school. After a long and exhaustive search, Gottlieb was probably the best they could do. :( Gottlieb has got a tough job on her hands. Job 1 is recruiting. She needs some height on her roster. [USC roster] They are the local team for me. I'll follow them (at a distance) just to see how they do over the next 3-4 years. I'm not very optimistic. I doubt they make the NCAA tournament the next 4 years. The Pac12 is tough, and getting tougher.

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I don't know how big of a priority wbb is. ASU mens hoops has gone thru quite a few coaches. Often what they get is about the same, or worse, than what they had before. Hurley was an "exciting" hire but from my viewpoint not really any different/better than Herbie.

Anyway, point is ASU could do much worse than CTT. Not sure how much better they would be able to lure there. As far as trends, looking at her record looks like they've dipped a bit ever since the '15-'16 season. Since then it's been just over .500 in conference and middle of the pack finishes (until this year).
I don't think CTT is likely going anywhere. That said, here record is "ok". What happened is that a lot of teams got good and ASU to date hasn't responded by getting better. Washington, Oregon, Oregon State, UCLA and Arizona have all had "flashes" during a time where ASU has just "been".

AZgirl

Pac-12 women's sports all day long
Reaction Score
I don't think CTT is likely going anywhere. That said, here record is "ok". What happened is that a lot of teams got good and ASU to date hasn't responded by getting better. Washington, Oregon, Oregon State, UCLA and Arizona have all had "flashes" during a time where ASU has just "been".
I like CTT. I think she is a great defensive coach. I just wonder if she will ever become an offensive force with the way she subs and if that affects her ability to recruit on the level of the top Pac-12 teams. Do top kids want to play that hockey line format?

She has 2 EE and has been to the tournament 14 times. She's secure in Tempe. But she's not going to be a $1M coach unless she can bust through to a FF, and I don't see that happening any time soon.

As a lifelong Arizona fan it pains me to say so, but there's a time not long ago that I would have killed for CTT to be our coach.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
CTT has no need to be worried about her career as she is the most successful coach in ASU history.

Elite 8 2007, 2009
16 20+ win seasons
31 wins 2007
29 wins 2015
19-14 record in the big dance
504 career victories
.621 winning per cent
2016 Pac coach of the year
Yeah, no reason to worry about your job when your two best seasons (Elite 8 appearances) were 12-14 years ago, and your in-state rival is on the rise . . . :rolleyes:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
USC and UCLA are the only two "major" Division 1 schools in So. Cal. USC not a coveted destination for elite talented players coming out of high school. They've been mediocre for years. Hard to recruit top rated players there. UCLA has a direct pipeline to Winward and Harvard Westlake high schools that produce a lot of very talented players (Jordin Canada - Seattle Storm/KiKi Iriafen - Stanford).

USC has not been attractive to local top ranked players for years. USC is a football school. After a long and exhaustive search, Gottlieb was probably the best they could do. :( Gottlieb has got a tough job on her hands. Job 1 is recruiting. She needs some height on her roster. [USC roster] They are the local team for me. I'll follow them (at a distance) just to see how they do over the next 3-4 years. I'm not very optimistic. I doubt they make the NCAA tournament the next 4 years. The Pac12 is tough, and getting tougher.
Simon and Jaco both came out of Windward HS, to go to USC. Both were at Windward when Canada was there. Not sure if Jaco was ranked high but I think Simon was.
Mater Dei sent Vaoiletama, Alofatulli(spelling on both names?) and Jordin Adams to USC. Vaoiletama and Adams were highly ranked. Cassie Harberts was a UConn recruit that Geno and CD were recruiting(house visit) and she went to USC. I believe she was ranked #11

I think Gottlieb will do fine. She might be the best USC can do.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Simon and Jaco both came out of Windward HS, to go to USC. Both were at Windward when Canada was there. Not sure if Jaco was ranked high but I think Simon was.
Mater Dei sent Vaoiletama, Alofatulli(spelling on both names?) and Jordin Adams to USC. Vaoiletama and Adams were highly ranked. Cassie Harberts was a UConn recruit that Geno and CD were recruiting(house visit) and she went to USC. I believe she was ranked #11

I think Gottlieb will do fine. She might be the best USC can do.
Define what "fine" means in the "Gottlieb will do fine" statement. Is it top 6 regularly starting in 2 years (which by the way USC had a top class coming in, not sure if they are all going to stay), is .500 record in conference or better regularly? Is it beating WSU, UW, Utah, Cal and Colorado to eek out 8th place?

To me, seems USC finally paid a going rate on coaching so they should and could have done better like Sue Samrau. But hey, I like watching car crashes (as long as I am NOT IN that car!) so I will be on the sideline....
Anticipation Popcorn GIF

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Define what "fine" means in the "Gottlieb will do fine" statement. Is it top 6 regularly starting in 2 years (which by the way USC had a top class coming in, not sure if they are all going to stay), is .500 record in conference or better regularly? Is it beating WSU, UW, Utah, Cal and Colorado to eek out 8th place?

To me, seems USC finally paid a going rate on coaching so they should and could have done better like Sue Samrau. But hey, I like watching car crashes (as long as I am NOT IN that car!) so I will be on the sideline....
Anticipation Popcorn GIF
"Fine" is that all of the 250 regular fans who attend the games will still remain. The Alumni that I sat with over the years hated M. Cooper and demanded CCD, to the USC AD office. They got CCD, a one and out NCAA bid loss to St Johns and then hell for the remainder of her contract. Nobody wanted the job at USC and thus they brought back Trakh. I had no problem with Gottlieb at Cal, and think USC will make the tournament a few time during her tenure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom