OT - USC considering independence | The Boneyard

OT - USC considering independence

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Early negotiation tactic. The PAC 12 Network has been a bomb and has sold out to equity partners. There are lots of problems there. Here is USC staking claim as needing to be in the strongest position in order to get a Boise State type of deal with the conference.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Could be a negotiating ploy, but they can make independence work. They definitely could be the ND of the West. Smart of them to explore.

Reaction Score
Could be a negotiating ploy, but they can make independence work. They definitely could be the ND of the West. Smart of them to explore.
USC cant go independent. Why? Where do they put all of their sports besides football?

Reaction Score
USC cant go independent. Why? Where do they put all of their sports besides football?

1. Like almost all football powers, "all of their sports besides football" in the aggregate don't even compare to the importance of football. I know that's not the case at UConn but that is the real world.

2. If football independence is important to the Trojans, they can move everything else to MWC, the WCAC or the Big West, any of which would take them in a nanosecond.

Reaction Score

The same place an elephant sits when it wanders into someone's house.

Anywhere it wants.

Both the West Coast and Big West conferences offer most of the sports USC participates in, and there's an umbrella federation for the West Coast called the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation that sponsors competition in many sports (notably for the Trojans: women's lacrosse, m/w swimming and diving, men's water polo and men's volleyball, as well as m/w water polo and m/w indoor track, in which USC already participates in MPSF rather than Pac-12 competition).

The WCC even sponsors women's rowing, which is the one thing the Big West does not.

I'd put my hypothetical money down on it being the WCC when all is said and done.

Reaction Score
Can the NCAA please pass a by-law that says if you’re going to put a number in the name of your conference, you have to have that many members. At least the BIG followed the Ivy model and is distancing itself from the number 10.

Reaction Score
1. Like almost all football powers, "all of their sports besides football" in the aggregate don't even compare to the importance of football. I know that's not the case at UConn but that is the real world.

2. If football independence is important to the Trojans, they can move everything else to MWC, the WCAC or the Big West, any of which would take them in a nanosecond.
At USC, the other sports matter, I would say more than at UConn. Have you ever looked at the national championships at USC in other sports besides football? No way the alums would support leaving a major conference to compete in the MWC, WCAC, or Big West.

If you said USC wanted to form a new P5 conference with some PAC 12 and Big 12 schools, I would say that was more probable than football independence.

Reaction Score
At USC, the other sports matter, I would say more than at UConn. Have you ever looked at the national championships at USC in other sports besides football? No way the alums would support leaving a major conference to compete in the MWC, WCAC, or Big West.

If you said USC wanted to form a new P5 conference with some PAC 12 and Big 12 schools, I would say that was more probable than football independence.

How do you know the PAC wouldn't keep USC's Olympic sports? Unlike UConn Football, some of them are pretty decent.

Reaction Score
I’d guess something like Notre Dames deal with the ACC. Play x games per year including UCLA and keep all other sports there. Look since the P5 creation USC has become an afterthought. And playing at 10 pm doesn’t give them ANY national presence.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I wonder if USC wants a Texas type deal with the ability to sell their sports history and make more than the other schools in the PAC 12

Reaction Score
Off topic but in the same county and in the NFL, the Los Angeles Rams just pulled a Los Angeles Chargers move.

"Oh, that's not our logo! We'll unveil it on Monday!"

:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
We can play in East Hartford in even years and L.A. in odd years.

Let’s get this done!
If that does happen, this place would finally explode into euphoria.

USC has been considering independence for 10 years, at least.

I think it can actually happen, if we're able to do it.

Get USC on the schedule yearly for football and basketball!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If that does happen, this place would finally explode into euphoria.

USC has been considering independence for 10 years, at least.

I think it can actually happen, if we're able to do it.

Get USC on the schedule yearly for football and basketball!
It would be beneficial for both schools to schedule each other. USC gets to recruit more on the East Coast and UCONN gets more national exposure and California recruiting

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Instability of the status quo?

tumblr_inline_nauonmjyPs1snjmql.gif.cf.gif

Reaction Score
The PAC has really been the biggest loser of the P5 era which is why this is happening. It has been a combination of factors but the pressure is showing. First is that they rarely get seen outside the far west. That means even when they have good teams nobody knows it. In the playoff era they don’t get in either. And hence getvrelagated to afterthought status. Plus the loss of the Rose Bowl’s status as the January 1 bowl has actually hurt the PAC in a way I don’t think they foresaw. How many times did a very highly ranked Big 10 team go out there only to be upset by the PAC champ with a couple of losses? Often by more wide open offenses from the west coast but sometimes by great defense. That gave the PAC a certain cachet I think that it has lost in the playoff era. Playing a “ national” schedule might give USC a chance to reclaim a bit of its old glory. The 3rd problem has been that the best PAC teams of late have been teams nobody cares about. Utah? Washington State? Those aren’t even the most popular programs in their own states one could argue. USC and the men of Troy and the guy in armor on the white horse. That fight song. Does Washington State have a fight song?
Honestly I would have loved to see an unbeaten Ohio State team go into New Years Day against a 9-3 USC in the Grandaddy of them all and slink back to Columbus after losing. When that was lost USC lost more than they ever imagined

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom