USA Women May Not Qualify for Olympics in 3 x 3 Basketball | The Boneyard

USA Women May Not Qualify for Olympics in 3 x 3 Basketball

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score

Didn't realize this was a possibility. Until recently 3 x 3 Basketball seems to have been an after thought by USA Basketball. Is it now too late to get enough points to qualify for the Olympics?

I also don't understand why AAU Basketball hasn't gotten on board with 3 x 3 Basketball. IMO its easier to showcase Ball Skill talents in 3 x 3 Basketball, then it is on 5 x 5 Basketball. AAU Tournaments could easily have a bracket of approx 10 teams and have competitions featuring 3 x 3 Games. Some smaller AAU Teams could even benefit as they might have 3 talented players who would do better playing 3 x 3 games then they do with their 5 x 5 teams because of lack of team depth.

USA Basketball could probably field 3 x 3 Teams made up of Older Players that were the last cuts of WNBA teams. This would enable USA BB to have experienced teams at all the 3 x 3 Tournaments.

Reaction Score
I don't believe AAU is showcasing itself for 3x3 play, rather obtain a college scholarship to play on their 5x5 teams. They are an entirely different game. They do not necessarily translate well to each other. Unless college teams begin to start having actual 3x3 teams and handing out scholarships I don't see that happening. Now with it becoming an Olympic sport, we might see that happening over time. Good coaches do not just look for players with individual skills, but players who can integrate those skills into a team (5x5) concept. Most players,, due to personal trainers and the present year-round emphasis, already have those skills developed. This is why programs that excel in personal development are not in as great a demand anymore. What is developed more in college is the integration of those pesonal skills into a team concept.

Reaction Score

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Good for the Storm! Maybe women's 3X3 will become popular and end up as THE primary women's version of basketball...?? Will they play in basketball season? Summer? All year?

Is the WNBA really that bad so we need to look for a replacement in a 3 x 3 game which is basically a fun 10 minute interlude made interesting by the underlying stories of the college players.

How can that replace 5 x 5 full court professional basketball? :eek::eek::eek:

Reaction Score
Is the WNBA really that bad so we need to look for a replacement in a 3 x 3 game which is basically a fun 10 minute interlude made interesting by the underlying stories of the college players.

The WNBA just isn't working in most places. Especially this year with many of their biggest stars not playing - either hurt from the real basketball season, or using the WNBA season to get their surgeries taken care of, or missing the first half of the season earning a living in Europe. This means there are no really good teams, so you have a bunch of bad teams scrapping to see who can keep from being among the very worst 4 (the only way you can actually not make the playoffs). Just not very interesting to a lot of people.

I don't really think 3X3 would actually replace the WNBA. Probably a sideshow at best. But least the Storm's owners are trying stuff which could possibly create interest, create jobs for WBB players. Maybe it won't get any traction, but at least they're willing to commit some capital and take some risk to find out.

Reaction Score

Anything can happen but for my money/interest 3 x3 is much like pick up BB. IF a certain or 2 or 3 are playing a bit of interest but beyond than none. TEAM VS TEAM gets my viewing

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom