USA vs France - post game quotes | The Boneyard

USA vs France - post game quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

sTu

Reaction Score
Waiting breathlessly for the one game analysis aficionados. Sarcasm now off.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I'm curious how giddy LV fans would be if Geno gets some egg on face during the FIBA WC or the Olympics. It's a tough balancing act: understandable to root heavily against your bitterest rival's HC (not to mention with all of the uconn alumnae in tow) treasonous to root against your own country. Not trying to stir up a thing here. I'm genuinely curious.

Reaction Score
With this team, just my opinion, but Stewie would be better off back at UConn going to class. At this point nothing to be gained sitting on the bench, she can go back to classes, and training to get faster, and stronger. Getting ready for the season, and the run for Another Championship is a bigger deal. Being on the Olympic team is probably her ultimate goal.

Reaction Score
It should not be a surprise that a really good team that plays together all the time should beat a team of what is it 20 all-stars thrown together at the last minute.

Reaction Score
I'm curious how giddy LV fans would be if Geno gets some egg on face during the FIBA WC or the Olympics. It's a tough balancing act: understandable to root heavily against your bitterest rival's HC (not to mention with all of the uconn alumnae in tow) treasonous to root against your own country. Not trying to stir up a thing here. I'm genuinely curious.

I seem to recall that during the last Olympics (or was it the Worlds) when you could still read
the Summit for free, that several Tennessee fans were rooting against the USA team.

Such is the depth of their hatred.

Reaction Score
With this team, just my opinion, but Stewie would be better off back at UConn going to class. At this point nothing to be gained sitting on the bench, she can go back to classes, and training to get faster, and stronger. Getting ready for the season, and the run for Another Championship is a bigger deal. Being on the Olympic team is probably her ultimate goal.

Except that she wouldn't just be sitting on the bench. She would practice against some very experienced players.

Reaction Score
Waiting breathlessly for the one game analysis aficionados. Sarcasm now off.
France beat USA 76 72. Maya hit ONE shot with 2 minutes to go, DT had a terrible shooting night/day. Geno has always preached---when your Offense fail--they your DEFENSE digs in. To top it off---USA was up by 18 in the second quarter.
Who besides Sims shall be dumped to make room for Griner???

Reaction Score
I seem to recall that during the last Olympics (or was it the Worlds) when you could still read
the Summit for free, that several Tennessee fans were rooting against the USA team.

Such is the depth of their hatred.
When one loses a CIVIL WAR/War between the states, your memory is much much longer than had you won it. WW1 and 2 were bigger deals to the losers than to the winners---that's why we rebuilt Germany and Japan.
Point is the Vols not only lost the War between the States but to UConn too often. However some of the greatest fighters for the USA in both world wars, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq/Afghanistan were from Tenn and the South--It's like : I can say anything about my sister--but don't you try it..

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
France beat USA 76 72. Maya hit ONE shot with 2 minutes to go, DT had a terrible shooting night/day. Geno has always preached---when your Offense fail--they your DEFENSE digs in. To top it off---USA was up by 18 in the second quarter.
Who besides Sims shall be dumped to make room for Griner???
News flash.....lol.

Dumped? I'm pretty sure it's called cut, not dumped. And Sims ain't going nowhere. Probably Lavender.

Reaction Score
That's the best QUOTE I've read on this site-----LINK!! Not sure what it means--USA should LINK arms, there was a LINK missing in the nets? Geno has a LINK to home in Europe?? Or Link ah Dink ah Do???

Reaction Score
News flash.....lol.

Dumped? I'm pretty sure it's called cut, not dumped. And Sims ain't going nowhere. Probably Lavender.
If
News flash.....lol.

If you are cut from the team---you feel like you've been dumped!! Cut implies they need suturing, or you are bleeding, or have an open wound--much better to visualize a person sitting in a trash can rather than the open oozing, bleeding wound (cut)?? OK Coach, glad you have your squad set---but remember he needs to dump 2.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
That's the best QUOTE I've read on this site-----LINK!! Not sure what it means--USA should LINK arms, there was a LINK missing in the nets? Geno has a LINK to home in Europe?? Or Link ah Dink ah Do???

Hello Newbie. Welcome to the Boneyard...I think. The LINK in my post is actually a link to the article containing the post game quotes. give it a click and see if it works for you. If not, please let me know.

Thanks.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If you are cut from the team---you feel like you've been dumped!! Cut implies they need suturing, or you are bleeding, or have an open wound--much better to visualize a person sitting in a trash can rather than the open oozing, bleeding wound (cut)?? OK Coach, glad you have your squad set---but remember he needs to dump 2.
Nope, they only need to "dump" cut 1. They have 12 + Griner.
Augustus, Bird, Charles, Dupree, Lavender, McCoughtry, Moore, Ogwumike, Sims, Stewart, Taurasi, Whalen (+ Griner). Bold are on the team. The cut, if made for Griner, will be Lavender, Dupree or Stewart. Most likely Lavender.

Augustus - 2/3
Bird - 1/2
Charles - 4/5
Dupree - 4
McCoughtry - 2/3
Moore - 3/4
Ogwumike - 4
Sims - 1/2
Stewart - 3/4
Taurasi - 1/2/3
Whalen - 1/2
Griner - 5

Pretty much covered.

Reaction Score
It should not be a surprise that a really good team that plays together all the time should beat a team of what is it 20 all-stars thrown together at the last minute.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There is a big difference between not making a WNBA team and not making the USA national team - when you are beaten out for a position by DT or Maya or Nneka, or Tina, etc. it is not the same as being beaten out by Griffen or Montgomery say on the Sun. So being 'cut' or 'dumped' especially as a rookie or second year pro is not that big a deal. To have made it to Paris in the first place is quite an accomplishment, a great experience, and motivation to make it to Rio in two years.

Reaction Score
Sonny44 - WOW! You are the first and only NOT to blame the loss to France on weak post-play, lousy Maya/DT shooting, poor overall shot selection, crappy coaching, crummy defense or no Griner. YOU are exactly right- when you put a bunch of very good players who have practiced/played together for months and even years against a "team" of stars that only days before a tournament has yet to determined its final roster, its starting five, and which players best complement which of their teammates on the floor, what happened to the USA WBB is going to happen more and more. That's because the beauty of basketball is that it is a true team game and solid team-play beats all-star-playground-play more often than not. Until and unless USA Basketball makes their roster selections MUCH MUCH EARLIER and allows the women and coaches to sufficiently work together and get a feel for playing with each other, we'd better get accustomed to scores like France 76 USA 72.

An Aside* Why do Geno's UConn teams win NCs so damn often? Year after year, Notre Dame, Duke, and Tennessee recruit talent to match UConn, but no other team plays TOGETHER, AS ONE, on offense AND defense, like the Huskies, to a woman, sacrificing individual glory for team success. But that can only happen with month(s) of brutally demanding practices and playing TOGETHER, something the national team does not have.

Reaction Score
. . . Until and unless USA Basketball makes their roster selections MUCH MUCH EARLIER and allows the women and coaches to sufficiently work together and get a feel for playing with each other, we'd better get accustomed to scores like France 76 USA 72. . . .

I think you are perhaps overstating your case here. The fact is, USA Basketball has been doing it this
way for years, and the US women almost always win the gold.

Could the USA team be better if they practiced together for three months or more? Sure.
But the reality is that the US has such an advantage in the depth of talent that they possess,
that they're good enough to win nearly all the time without working together for months.

Reactions: sTu
Reaction Score
Sonny44 - WOW! You are the first and only NOT to blame the loss to France on weak post-play, lousy Maya/DT shooting, poor overall shot selection, crappy coaching, crummy defense or no Griner. YOU are exactly right- when you put a bunch of very good players who have practiced/played together for months and even years against a "team" of stars that only days before a tournament has yet to determined its final roster, its starting five, and which players best complement which of their teammates on the floor, what happened to the USA WBB is going to happen more and more. That's because the beauty of basketball is that it is a true team game and solid team-play beats all-star-playground-play more often than not. Until and unless USA Basketball makes their roster selections MUCH MUCH EARLIER and allows the women and coaches to sufficiently work together and get a feel for playing with each other, we'd better get accustomed to scores like France 76 USA 72.

An Aside* Why do Geno's UConn teams win NCs so damn often? Year after year, Notre Dame, Duke, and Tennessee recruit talent to match UConn, but no other team plays TOGETHER, AS ONE, on offense AND defense, like the Huskies, to a woman, sacrificing individual glory for team success. But that can only happen with month(s) of brutally demanding practices and playing TOGETHER, something the national team does not have.

Reaction Score
I think the USA's overwhelming "depth of talent" cannot continue to lead to the endless run of wins as in the past and slowly but surely USA dominance will inevitably be whittled away by nations who play together extensively and have increasingly better talent pools of their own. I do believe a legitimate month of practice for the 12 final USA roster players would end my warm milk, sleepless nights.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the USA's overwhelming "depth of talent" cannot continue to lead to the endless run of wins as in the past and slowly but surely USA dominance will inevitably be whittled away by nations who play together extensively and have increasingly better talent pools of their own. I do believe a legitimate month of practice for the 12 final USA roster players would end my warm milk, sleepless nights.
The problem is that ends up being the death knell for the WNBA because of the conflicts with both the Olympics and the Worlds. Either you end up with seriously inferior talent because the stars stay with their W teams, or you have teams winning the WNBA championship that are clearly inferior - Pheonix does not win the is year with DT, Dupree, and Griner on USA duty, what is MN without their three, etc.

Reaction Score
The problem is that ends up being the death knell for the WNBA because of the conflicts with both the Olympics and the Worlds. Either you end up with seriously inferior talent because the stars stay with their W teams, or you have teams winning the WNBA championship that are clearly inferior - Pheonix does not win the is year with DT, Dupree, and Griner on USA duty, what is MN without their three, etc.

True dat

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
A question unasked is:

Is Maya ok?
A bunch of (seemingly) sub-par games for her, at least offensively
Are her knees acting up?
No wheels, no offense, surely at this level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom