USA vs Canada U17 Live Now 1 PM | The Boneyard

USA vs Canada U17 Live Now 1 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
22-16 USA after Q1.. Like most USA teams, this one likes to run, half court offense is really unimpressive, except for Greenwell shooting 3's.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I would watch a whole game just to see Diamond with the ball on the break.....

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Start of second Q is really unimpressive for USA

Reaction Score
Harper looked great on defense with 5 steals, and her rebounding at her size wow.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
USA leads at the half 41-32. IMHO Poorly played half by team USA both on offense and defense. Offensive Rebounding and I guess USA's athleticism got them the lead and most likely will win the game. I know I'm being to critical and should remember these are only 16 and 17 year old players. However Canada is the same age and they are playing better team ball. They don't have the players to beat Team USA.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
41-32 USA at the half.

Harper is for real, best USA player by far in this game. She reminds me of a former LV player a little bit.

Only USA post that impressed me was McCall. Davis looked good in spurts, as did Washington. Diamond seems to have injured her left hand again, hope that is not becoming a chronic problem for her because it definitely affects her play.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Harper looked great on defense with 5 steals, and her rebounding at her size wow.

Harper is all over, McCall looking good also with lots of hustle plays.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I can understand the tweets coming from over there now, USA no chemistry makes sense, no ball movement, agree on Harper and McCall but not Washington. Shocked at how bad defense is, Russell never leaves the ground and doesn't like contact.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I can understand the tweets coming from over there now, USA no chemistry makes sense, no ball movement, agree on Harper and McCall but not Washington. Shocked at how bad defense is, Russell never leaves the ground and doesn't like contact.
What tweets are you talking about?

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I saw no sign of any good chemistry in team USA for this game. Very difficult to understand how these players could be so joyless.. And Mercedes Russell either had a very bad game, or is nowhere close to #1 in 2013. Hate to say anything bad about a kid but she really was one of USA's least effective posts in this game.

Reaction Score
I saw no sign of any good chemistry in team USA for this game. Very difficult to understand how these players could be so joyless.. And Mercedes Russell either had a very bad game, or is nowhere close to #1 in 2013. Hate to say anything bad about a kid but she really was one of USA's least effective posts in this game.
Have to agree about Russell. Harper played an all around great game including rebounding. Diamond better hope I never see her play again. Of the 4 games I've seen her play, she has not looked good. Perhaps it's the wrist in this one, but it wasn't preventing her from taking bad shots. Overall, the team is so superior to the others criticism is really nit-picky.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The bits I saw were certainly not very impressive, but it was just one game. They have been blowing everyone away, and they ended up doing that in this game as well, but not very pretty ball.
Canada had some nice looking players - one guard and a couple of their bigs were playing really nice ball. Are they headed to US colleges - anyone know?

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I wasn't too impressed with Canada, I thought they looked very unsteady with the ball and very close to turning it over with every pass, our defense made them look better than they were, the caliber of players clearly is not at worlds but in the US, better games to be seen in club basketball IMO.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Have to agree about Russell. Harper played an all around great game including rebounding. Diamond better hope I never see her play again. Of the 4 games I've seen her play, she has not looked good. Perhaps it's the wrist in this one, but it wasn't preventing her from taking bad shots. Overall, the team is so superior to the others criticism is really nit-picky.
Superior talent certainly.. But if they happened to run into a team with any kind of comparable talent they would be in serious trouble.

I watched the entire game, and never saw any player even talk to another player or even crack a smile. I was really shocked at the lack of chemistry.. Call it nit picking if you like but chemistry is very important to a basketball team.

Reaction Score
IMO part of the disjointed look of team USA was because Harper was playing pg for most of the game. She is dynamic, an amazing defensive player and incredible rebounder for her size, but she is Simmons-esque when she runs a team. Takes a ton of shots and often is shoot first, pass second. Which is a shame because when she looks to pass she has amazing ability. She's better as the off guard. Understandably they needed her defense but should have paired her with a different combination of guards.The team actually ran better with Allen and Washington in previous games because they want to pass first. There was a general lack of rhythm to this game and uncharacteristic poor shooting from Greenwell and co.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Have to wonder if Jill Rankin HS Coach out of Texas is able to handle the personalities and the talent that is on this USA team. They'll probably easily win the Gold Medal because of the superior talent. I thought Team USA's half court trapping defense was good and their rebounding was exceptional. What they lack is playing team basketball and relied on their individual talents to score. At times they quickly launched shots without making an extra pass to get a wide open look. Team USA has the depth to wear out teams and applies defensive pressure to get turn overs resulting in easy baskets.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
IMO part of the disjointed look of team USA was because Harper was playing pg for most of the game. She is dynamic, an amazing defensive player and incredible rebounder for her size, but she is Simmons-esque when she runs a team. Takes a ton of shots and often is shoot first, pass second. Which is a shame because when she looks to pass she has amazing ability. She's better as the off guard. Understandably they needed her defense but should have paired her with a different combination of guards.The team actually ran better with Allen and Washington in previous games because they want to pass first. There was a general lack of rhythm to this game and uncharacteristic poor shooting from Greenwell and co.
I can't agree with you re. Harper.. She did not take "a ton of shots" in today's game, considering how many offensive rebounds she got. She looked pretty much "pass first" to me today.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I think its unfair to single out any player and say she is the cause of the disjointed look of Team USA. Paraphrasing Mike Flynn's tweets during this tournament, team USA is winning Ugly and winning because of superior talent, not superior play. Some players on this team had one thought in mind on the offensive end, how can I get a shot off to score and it didn't matter if the player was covered or there were other players that had wide open shots.

Reaction Score
I don't agree on Harper at all. She did nothing today, but improve my opinion of how well she would do if she decides to go to UConn. I thought she overall made good decisions.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I don't agree on Harper at all. She did nothing today, but improve my opinion of how well she would do if she decides to go to UConn. I thought she overall made good decisions.

This is the same thought I had while watching a good portion of the game. I didn't see all of it, but relative to the other player on the floor Harper looked like an U19 or college player playing with U17s as far as decision-making and staying under control--while still making plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom