USA Today High School sports section ceases to exist | The Boneyard

USA Today High School sports section ceases to exist

Reaction Score
After the acquisition of USA today by GateHouse media, the USA Today high school sports section is no longer active. After the acquisition, staff layoffs occurred and they (GateHouse) have ended the section. It's a shame as USA Today was the first national media that gave high school sports it's own platform and rankings. Just another sign of the time with print media.

Reaction Score
So true Cornell Lt. Print media is changing all over the country I am sure. My local newspaper was acquired by a syndicate that took it out of bankruptcy. Daily paper is down to 24 pages. Supplements are still published at half the content. The Parade magazine is about 1/3 the size from yesteryear. I guess a lot of advertising has disappeared from the paper. Of course, my monthly subscription increased 24%. I know, get your news online. I just like the feel of a crisp Wall Street Journal
Reading Eagle
in my hands with my breakfast.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I thought Street & Smith's was the first to publish a high school section. How long has USA Today been around? I bought S&S during the late 60's and early 70's I believe. I had a copy that included Lew Alcindor.

Reaction Score
So true Cornell Lt. Print media is changing all over the country I am sure. My local newspaper was acquired by a syndicate that took it out of bankruptcy. Daily paper is down to 24 pages. Supplements are still published at half the content. The Parade magazine is about 1/3 the size from yesteryear. I guess a lot of advertising has disappeared from the paper. Of course, my monthly subscription increased 24%. I know, get your news online. I just like the feel of a crisp Wall Street Journal
Reading Eagle
in my hands with my breakfast.
Ours is down from about 10, normal, to 2 sometimes up to 4. Sold after 100 years. The good news is now the front page is about Women's Basketball High School or (college). Some days more ad's than news. Uconn was even on page 1 when they became number 1. Go figure after years of nothing Uconn or limited women's BB they make the front page daily..

Reaction Score
I thought Street & Smith's was the first to publish a high school section. How long has USA Today been around? I bought S&S during the late 60's and early 70's I believe. I had a copy that included Lew Alcindor.
One hundred per cent right DDW. I started collecting the Street & Smith Basketball and Football magazines in the 60's and have saved them until the last year published. I now get the Alathon. I sometimes look at the old high school listing to see who made the pros in both. I think the highest one ever listed from Ct. was Corny Thompson.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
When Thompson committed to UConn I wondered why he would commit to a team I rarely heard about. UConn was not a household name back then. He was really good. I would also watch to see how they did in college and the NBA. I did not follow women's basketball back then.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom