OT - USA Soccer - Landon Donovan - greatest call ever? | The Boneyard

OT - USA Soccer - Landon Donovan - greatest call ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ok so I'm not the biggest soccer fan but when I saw that Landon Donovan did not make the US World Cup squad I was really disappointed. The all time leading scorer for the US may be a little past his prime but he was the face of our soccer program and gave us many exciting moments. None more so than this:

In the 2010 World Cup in South Africa the US was playing Algeria in their last game of group play. The US needed a win to advance to the next round. It was a back and forth contest. There were near misses by both squads and with only a few minutes of injury time left the score was still 0-0.

Here's what happened. The call is by Univision announcer Andres Cantor. Still gives me chills to watch and I don't know a word of Spanish!!

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Not to pick nits, but it's my speciality.

He's the all time leading scorer for US MEN's soccer with 57.

Abby is that all-time leading scorer for US soccer, having surpassed Mia's 158. She's at 167 and counting...

If he was added to the women's US soccer all-time scoring record list, he'd be in 7th place, four ahead of Carin Jennings-Gabarra.

And ya, Donovan rescued the men's bacon.... but, in terms of pressure and expectations, you can't beat Abby-from-Megan in the 122nd minute....

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Not to pick nits, but it's my speciality.

He's the all time leading scorer for US MEN's soccer with 57.

Abby is that all-time leading scorer for US soccer, having surpassed Mia's 158. She's at 167 and counting...

If he was added to the women's US soccer all-time scoring record list, he'd be in 7th place, four ahead of Carin Jennings-Gabarra.

And ya, Donovan rescued the men's bacon.... but, in terms of pressure and expectations, you can't beat Abby-from-Megan in the 122nd minute....

While I like Mia, Abby, and Megan, you can't compare goals scored for USA Women vs USA Men. Two completely different games.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Sure, if you'd like. Still makes Donovan the all-time leading scorer for the MEN's us soccer team and Abby the all-time leading scorer for the women's... and US Soccer.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I have no issues with Landon being left off. He apparently came to camp out of shape, and hadn't had a good year in MLS. He also took a four month sabbatical to clear his head. Nothing wrong with that, but I think Klinnsman was right to leave him off. He has a contract until 2018 so he is obviously looking to build a team for the future.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ok so I'm not the biggest soccer fan but when I saw that Landon Donovan did not make the US World Cup squad I was really disappointed. The all time leading scorer for the US may be a little past his prime but he was the face of our soccer program and gave us many exciting moments. None more so than this:

In the 2010 World Cup in South Africa the US was playing Algeria in their last game of group play. The US needed a win to advance to the next round. It was a back and forth contest. There were near misses by both squads and with only a few minutes of injury time left the score was still 0-0.

Here's what happened. The call is by Univision announcer Andres Cantor. Still gives me chills to watch and I don't know a word of Spanish!!

That was a great goal and a good call (so was Ian Darke's). However I don't really have a problem with Donovan being left off. He's lost a lot the last year or so. AND Donovan did let down the team during qualification. He took a sabbatical in the middle of qualification. Then he told Klinsmann that he couldn't go 100% everyday. Not sure about the guys that replaced him though, particularly Davis.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Sure, if you'd like. Still makes Donovan the all-time leading scorer for the MEN's us soccer team and Abby the all-time leading scorer for the women's... and US Soccer.

Which is like doing the whole UCLA MBB vs UCONN WBB thing. Fruitless.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It's not so much like, it's you can't compare the two. I mean intelligently.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Rapinoe-to-Wambach is probably my favorite goal ever. Either that or Drogba's header in the 2012 Champions League final. Or Ramires's chip in the 2012 CL semi at Barca.

As regards Donovan, it's hard to believe he's not one of our best 23. I assume he's been left off for chemistry/commitment reasons. I'm not surprised, though.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Either that or Drogba's header in the 2012 Champions League final. Or Ramires's chip in the 2012 CL semi at Barca.
Ugh Chelski. Go buy some more trophies.

As regards Donovan, it's hard to believe he's not one of our best 23. I assume he's been left off for chemistry/commitment reasons. I'm not surprised, though.
If you add in that the US has one of the toughest travel schedules in Brazil, along with the heat/humidity they are going to encounter and Donovan has stated at his age he can't go 100% all the time, makes it tough on a coach to take him along.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Ugh Chelski. Go buy some more trophies.
I'm sure Roman's working on it. It's not as if Arsenal doesn't have a lot of money. They just don't spend it. And compared to PSG and Man City, Chelsea are the poor kids in school now.

Look, I grew up a Buffalo Bills fan. I'm entitled to glory-hunt in one sport!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm sure Roman's working on it. It's not as if Arsenal doesn't have a lot of money.
We earned ours though. :cool:

They just don't spend it. And compared to PSG and Man City, Chelsea are the poor kids in school now.
True dat! They got their hands slapped (ever so slightly) though.

Look, I grew up a Buffalo Bills fan. I'm entitled to glory-hunt in one sport!
Well you have a point there. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger