USA Nat'l Team Training Camp Sept 30-Oct 2 | The Boneyard

USA Nat'l Team Training Camp Sept 30-Oct 2

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
First training camp under Dawn Staley will be held out in Santa Barbara. Approximately 30 players expected to participate. The players will be announced at later date and will not include those playing in the WNBA finals.

Court coaches have been named and include Jennifer Rizzotti, Sue Semrau, Jeff Walz and Michelle Clark-Heard.

2017 USA National Team Training Camp Court Coaches Announced

Reaction Score
First training camp under Dawn Staley will be held out in Santa Barbara. Approximately 30 players expected to participate. The players will be announced at later date and will not include those playing in the WNBA finals.

Court coaches have been named and include Jennifer Rizzotti, Sue Semrau, Jeff Walz and Michelle Clark-Heard.

2017 USA National Team Training Camp Court Coaches Announced

It's not going to be easy following in Geno's footsteps...........any losses will be a viewed as a great disappointment

Reaction Score
Won't the WNBA Finals still potentially be ongoing? And it's not a FIBA window so I wonder how many invitees will have to decline because their overseas teams want them.

Reaction Score
Doesnt Geno help pick the roster now as part of the committee?

Reaction Score
it's new for Dawn Staley as the head coach though

Yes, but the implication "it will be hard to follow Geno" is misleading. All US wbb coaches have the same pressure -- don't screw things up. Geno had the same pressure. Did Geno do anything particularly remarkable (vs previous) during his time that pushed the standard even higher? I dont believe so.

As far as I can tell, the US national team has not lost in international competition since 2006 and before that 1994. That's the standard that every coach has to maintain, and that's the pressure.

Reaction Score
Yes, but the implication "it will be hard to follow Geno" is misleading. All US wbb coaches have the same pressure -- don't screw things up. Geno had the same pressure. Did Geno do anything particularly remarkable (vs previous) during his time that pushed the standard even higher? I dont believe so.

As far as I can tell, the US national team has not lost in international competition since 2006 and before that 1994. That's the standard that every coach has to maintain, and that's the pressure.

I guess I'm viewing it not only from a national team perspective but from a recruiting standpoint too.............Geno hands over the reigns as an undefeated coach and the entire WBB universe is watching to see if Staley is truly legit as a top tier head coach too....should she "fail" it may very well take away from her cachet as the leading figure of the next generation of championship level coaches............

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Won't the WNBA Finals still potentially be ongoing? And it's not a FIBA window so I wonder how many invitees will have to decline because their overseas teams want them.

USA BB has held camps during the WNBA finals before and the turnout has been good. I'm not aware of any player who declined because of an overseas commitment. The only players who have missed are those playing in the finals.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Oooh I know the coach at Westmont, wonder if he can get me in the backdoor!

Reaction Score
I guess I'm viewing it not only from a national team perspective but from a recruiting standpoint too...Geno hands over the reigns as an undefeated coach and the entire WBB universe is watching to see if Staley is truly legit as a top tier head coach too....should she "fail" it may very well take away from her cachet as the leading figure of the next generation of championship level coaches..

Not only is Geno being replaced, how many players from the last Olympic team will actually be involved from here on out? Bird? Taurasi? Whalen? Augustus? I suspect there will be a lot of new faces. It will take time for newer players to gel. That can't be blamed on Dawn if they aren't undefeated.

Reaction Score
Also every year the standard of International play rises so the gulf between US and the Word narrows. Future coaches will have a much harder time maintaining the former level of dominance.

Reaction Score
Question, can Dawn handle the pressure of both jobs or will one slip?.....I am a Dawn fan and I hope she does well and Geno will assist.

Reaction Score
Question, can Dawn handle the pressure of both jobs or will one slip?.....I am a Dawn fan and I hope she does well and Geno will assist.
I like Dawn, but a problem to me is her offensive philosophy, is pound it into the post, and negates the biggest US advantage. Players like EDD, and Stewie, will have no room to do the things they do best, hit the 3, mid-range jumper, and take people to the hoop.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

As long as she has enough gum on hand she'll be fine. ;)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I like Dawn, but a problem to me is her offensive philosophy, is pound it into the post, and negates the biggest US advantage. Players like EDD, and Stewie, will have no room to do the things they do best, hit the 3, mid-range jumper, and take people to the hoop.

Hope you are wrong. Couple or maybe 3 years ago Dawn was playing 2 seniors as starters with very low offensive output while the twin towers sat until Dawn felt the time was right. Loyalty is admirable, but coaching acumen is what we are looking for, isn't it.

Reaction Score
Also the ability to think outside off and discard any self created boxes.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It's a good question. Geno obviously did well, but he had the best assistants in the nation. Tara took a year off from Stanford to focus on Team USA, and Dawn is not the coach that Tara is. Particularly if Team USA goes through a major transition, Gold may not be guaranteed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Cam

Top Bottom