USA BB training camp news? | The Boneyard

USA BB training camp news?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So ... with WNBA playoffs starting and overseas seasons just around the corner we should be hearing some news about the '3 day' USBB camp, shouldn't we?
I am very curious about where and who will be invited. Maya, DT, Sylvia, EDD, Griner, Angel, Catch, Whalen, Parker, and probably a few I have missed may not be available from the pre-Olympic pool. Add in Bird being in rehab and it should be quite an interesting gathering.

Reaction Score
So ... with WNBA playoffs starting and overseas seasons just around the corner we should be hearing some news about the '3 day' USBB camp, shouldn't we?
I am very curious about where and who will be invited. Maya, DT, Sylvia, EDD, Griner, Angel, Catch, Whalen, Parker, and probably a few I have missed may not be available from the pre-Olympic pool. Add in Bird being in rehab and it should be quite an interesting gathering.

Tina should also be added to your list.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Tina should also be added to your list.
She might be able to participate - I know she shut it down for the season, but am not sure how bad it is and if the couple weeks of rest has solved the issue or not, but there would certainly be a question mark. With Sue I am pretty sure she is not yet fully recovered.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
There will be a mini-camp during the WNBA finals so some key players will be missing.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Mini Camp Press Release by USA Basketball
http://www.usab.com/womens/national/13_wnt_mini_camp_schedule.html

Quote from Geno
"I’m really looking forward to kicking off the next four years with this training camp in Las Vegas,” said 2013-16 USA National Team and University of Connecticut head coach Geno Auriemma. “It’s going to give me a great opportunity to see some of the younger guys and how they fit into my system, as well as working with our veterans again. It’s been just over a year, but I can’t wait to start the process of trying to figure out how we can mesh all of our talent together and get ready for next year’s World Championship.”

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
What about Neka Ogumwike? Not sure if she would but I think she deserves it.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
John A says in his blog that Bria, Breanna, Kaleena and Stef are among collegiate players who will be invited to the camp.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Thanks for the link. Was hoping it might be in Hartford again. I am sure Nneka would be invited if she isn't playing still. My original list was of actual Olympic team members that might not be available.
If they are really inviting the four Uconn undergrads, that suggests that they will have quite a large pool - and looking at the USA University team is a good place to start. I expect that Breanna would be the only sophomore invited if she is in fact invited.
And - if four Uconn undergrads are invited as well as the number of Uconn alums from the WNBA ... it can't be a bad thing for recruiting!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
And - if four Uconn undergrads are invited as well as the number of Uconn alums from the WNBA ... it can't be a bad thing for recruiting!

Funny. Some fans of other schools believe Geno changed his mind and accepted the position again to help him recruit elite players. Some fans of UConn think Geno's position with USA BB will hurt recruiting.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Realistically its unlikely that any current UConn player will make the 2016 Senior Team. However, its great they are getting involved in the training camp as it gives them exposure and playing time against WNBA players. That experience has to help them.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Realistically its unlikely that any current UConn player will make the 2016 Senior Team. However, its great they are getting involved in the training camp as it gives them exposure and playing time against WNBA players. That experience has to help them.
I disagree with your definition of "realistic". It is very easy to imagine at least one current UConn player has a "realistic" chance at making the 2016 team.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
stewie 3.JPG

Here's a hint.....:cool:

Reaction Score
This is what Geno was holding out for more say into how his team is formed and have his own players make hime feel better and makes some players uneasy.......Stay tuned......

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
In addition to Bria, Breanna, Stef and KML, what other collegiate players do you think will be invited?

Definites: Chiney, Odyssey Sims, Alyssa Thomas, Elizabeth Williams, Chelsea Gray, Kayla McBride others?

Maybes: Bashaara Graves, Alexis Jones, others?

Reaction Score
This is what Geno was holding out for more say into how his team is formed and have his own players make hime feel better and makes some players uneasy.......Stay tuned......
And you know this how?
Although I have zero first hand knowledge of the process to get Geno to commit again, I would have suspected player selection was not even on Geno's "issue radar".

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
And you know this how?
Although I have zero first hand knowledge of the process to get Geno to commit again, I would have suspected player selection was not even on Geno's "issue radar".

jsloanjr got it directly from the Checkerboard Square, so, you know it must be true!:rolleyes:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
In addition to Bria, Breanna, Stef and KML, what other collegiate players do you think will be invited?

Definites: Chiney, Odyssey Sims, Alyssa Thomas, Elizabeth Williams, Chelsea Gray, Kayla McBride others?

Maybes: Bashaara Graves, Alexis Jones, others?
Pretty good starting list right there - I would think the college players would mostly be seniors with a few juniors and maybe one or two sophomores. Not that there are not some talented younger players, just that their development physically as well as skills would be hard to mix with the older pros I think. The Uconn college players have the advantage of knowing Geno's system at least.

Reaction Score
I may be getting ahead of myself here, but Stewart has so much potential, it'd be a shock if she wasn't at least a candidate for the Olympics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom