USA BB Announces Roster for Training Camp | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USA BB Announces Roster for Training Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I think there are some of the old guard that will not be on the Olympic team and the change over may happen between WC and Olympics. Injuries and age are catching up with some of these players so of your 'locks' I would say Catch and Bird, and even Augustus Fowles, DT and Whalen might not be solid locks. in 2016: Catch will be 37, Bird 36, DT and Lindsey 35, Augustus 32 and Sylvia 31 - while the last two would not be considered 'old' they have both had some problems with their wheels and with body type probably put more stress on them than do the guards.
With USA basketball needing to start the transition by 'blooding' some younger players I sort of expect Catch to retire from the team after the WC in 2014 and suspect only one of Whalen or Bird to make the team and with Sue's age and recent injury history wouldn't be surprised if she didn't do the same. The schedules that these women maintain ages them more quickly in terms of their athletic careers than it did for the older generations who didn't have as much/any chance to play 12 months a year. That is somewhat offset by the improved focus on nutrition and training, but ...

According to Mechelle Voepel (in response to Q in one of her chats) the reason USABB was so determined to bring Geno back was that it viewed the next few years as transition years for players (younger players replace some of the veterans) and it thought it was important to have coaching stability during this time. Thus, I do expect USABB to incorporate some younger players while keeping certain vets for experience/leadership.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Chiney was invited but declined to concentrate on academics and training for her senior year. Maybe can understand the academics, but not the training. Would get more out of attendance at the Sr. Camp.

Reaction Score
According to the original poster, these players (Griner included) accepted. Although she is one of the WNBA folks still playing, of course.

Griner not accepting refers I think to the last Olympic team.
My mistake, I missed her name. Thanks. I hope she gets a chance to try out.

Reaction Score
I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I think there are too many UConn players on the roster. The ones currently in college will face the challenge of playing for Team USA while also playing for their collegiate team. I think it might be problematic for these players.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I think there are too many UConn players on the roster. The ones currently in college will face the challenge of playing for Team USA while also playing for their collegiate team. I think it might be problematic for these players.
I assume you are not saying any of the WNBA Uconn alum shouldn't be included - as for the college players - the extent of the current commitment is three days this fall over a weekend for a training camp. By the time any USA national team practices again two of the four students will have already graduated next May (or be done with course work.) Given the current returning national team roster it is unlikely that any of current students will actually be selected for the team that will compete in the WC next fall but they will have had a little exposure to the team. By the first training camp for the national team pool for the 2016 summer Olympics the only player that will not have graduated is Stewart and by the actual games she will have graduated (as long as nothing unforeseen happens.) I don't see any problem with them or any other college students being included in the team pool process. It will be interesting to see how the team evolves for 2014 WC and 2016 Olympics. Given the quality of the WNBA players in the pool I suspect the WC will not have any of the current college kids included on it. By the 2016 Olympics I suspect that Sims and KML might make it and an outside chance that Stewart might if she continues her development. Without significant injuries/retirements from the current national team there just aren't that many openings.
So ... being included in the 30+ player pool is an honor and it gives them a chance to integrate with the more senior members of that pool at the cost of maybe a few missed classes before practice begins for the Uconn team. I don't see it as a serious distraction from school or team and certainly less of a one than trials and playing for the U19 and WUG teams this past summer. And the benefits of practicing for three days with and against the best players in the world should be great. And the exposure to the USA administrators is a positive for their careers and USA aspirations.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I assume you are not saying any of the WNBA Uconn alum shouldn't be included - as for the college players - the extent of the current commitment is three days this fall over a weekend for a training camp. By the time any USA national team practices again two of the four students will have already graduated next May (or be done with course work.) Given the current returning national team roster it is unlikely that any of current students will actually be selected for the team that will compete in the WC next fall but they will have had a little exposure to the team. By the first training camp for the national team pool for the 2016 summer Olympics the only player that will not have graduated is Stewart and by the actual games she will have graduated (as long as nothing unforeseen happens.) I don't see any problem with them or any other college students being included in the team pool process. It will be interesting to see how the team evolves for 2014 WC and 2016 Olympics. Given the quality of the WNBA players in the pool I suspect the WC will not have any of the current college kids included on it. By the 2016 Olympics I suspect that Sims and KML might make it and an outside chance that Stewart might if she continues her development. Without significant injuries/retirements from the current national team there just aren't that many openings.
So ... being included in the 30+ player pool is an honor and it gives them a chance to integrate with the more senior members of that pool at the cost of maybe a few missed classes before practice begins for the Uconn team. I don't see it as a serious distraction from school or team and certainly less of a one than trials and playing for the U19 and WUG teams this past summer. And the benefits of practicing for three days with and against the best players in the world should be great. And the exposure to the USA administrators is a positive for their careers and USA aspirations.

This....

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Well, Sims is the best collegiate point guard right now but there are some great WNBA guards on the roster. I don't care if BG didn't accept, that's her business. She might think she doesn't have a chance to make the team.

There has been no report of Griner declining AT ALL.

Bet your bottom dollar that Geno would love to have BG on his team. He may be the only coach in women's basketball that would know how to use her properly. Plus, by the time the final team is selected she we have two years of professional experience under her belt she is only going to get better and better.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
BTW since Moore and Catch are such similar players, I think it's clear that Maya has surpassed Catch as the better player. Maya this season averaged better numbers across the board than Tamika did. While I could never see the committee dropping Catch for a youngster like Stewie, it's great to see Maya becoming one of the best in the world.

I think it's quite a stretch to draw this conclusion based on stats, when it's clear that one player is surrounded by great talent and others that can carry the load, while the other player has no such surroundings and is tasked with carrying the load on each and every night. I can only imagine what Catchings numbers would look like if she were on the team with 2 other Olympians plus another that can make a case for having the talent to be an Olympian. It's also inaccurate that Maya's stats across the board are better than Catchings.

Maya leads in points by .8
Catchings leads in rebounds by .9
Maya leads in assist by .6
Catchings leads in steals by 1.1

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Well, Sims is the best collegiate point guard right now but there are some great WNBA guards on the roster. I don't care if BG didn't accept, that's her business. She might think she doesn't have a chance to make the team.

Sims would be my pick as the point guard in waiting behind Sue and Whelan. She's a much better player than both VanderSloot and Diggins.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I think it's quite a stretch to draw this conclusion based on stats, when it's clear that one player is surrounded by great talent and others that can carry the load, while the other player has no such surroundings and is tasked with carrying the load on each and every night. I can only imagine what Catchings numbers would look like if she were on the team with 2 other Olympians plus another that can make a case for having the talent to be an Olympian. It's also inaccurate that Maya's stats across the board are better than Catchings.

Maya leads in points by .8
Catchings leads in rebounds by .9
Maya leads in assist by .6
Catchings leads in steals by 1.1

Really? Would she shoot better?

Catchings - 39.6% and 32.1%
Moore - 50.9% and 45.3%

It's a bogus argument.

U

UCONNfan1

You also could go back to the Olympics to get a better comparison. Tamika started all 8 games and averaged about the same MPG as Maya, but Maya's stats were better in every category except steals (Tamika had 1 more than Maya).

Maya's stats are listed first in each category

Games started 5 vs 8
MPG - 19.8 vs. 19.3
FG% - 46.45 vs. 44.4%
FT% - 67% vs. 50%
Rebounds - 5.6 vs. 4.9
Assists - 21 vs. 17
Steals - 12 vs. 13
PPG - 9 vs. 6.1 (but I guess Tennessee fans would argue the large disparity is due to Tamika playing against foreign teams starters more and Maya playing against their bench players more since Maya actually came off the bench for 3 games).

I think it's partly a factor of age, and partly a factor of Maya just being that good. Also, in the MVP voting, Maya was 2nd while Tamika was 7th. I don't think anyone is saying Tamika's done for, but the statistics (WNBA and Olympics) show Maya is now the better player. One could also argue that given Maya plays on a team with 2 other Olympians, there is much more shot hogging from them, whereas Tamika is the best player on her team and has many more opportunities to score. Hence the Tennessee argument that Maya plays on a team with 2 Olympians actually should favor Tamika with regards to scoring statistics.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Coming off the bench does not mean that you are playing against the other teams bench.

U

UCONNfan1

Coming off the bench does not mean that you are playing against the other teams bench.
I totally agree, but I was anticipating the Tennessee fans' potential argument as to why Maya's PPG numbers were so much higher than Tamika's PPG numbers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom