USA Basketball: Post-game Quotes | The Boneyard

USA Basketball: Post-game Quotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
....and it was a matter of Sue Bird yelling at us in the locker room, which is unheard of. When Sue has to yell at a player it’s a problem, so we wanted to come out and bring the energy.

Sue Bird yelling at her teammates?? OMG.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
....and it was a matter of Sue Bird yelling at us in the locker room, which is unheard of. When Sue has to yell at a player it’s a problem, so we wanted to come out and bring the energy.

Sue Bird yelling at her teammates?? OMG.
Leadership!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I love this:

"When you watch Maya play you have to admire how hard she competes on every possession and that is probably why everywhere she goes there are championships that follow her around because there is just something about her that leads to winning. Hopefully she has one more win in her on Saturday."

Think DePaul 2008. The game appears lost, but no, Maya doesn't quit. A steal. An end-to-end layup by Ketia. And an amazing win.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sounds like Dee went off at halftime and then Sue followed. Also, it was Dee who urged Geno to play Asjha in the 2nd half.

Great stuff from Jackie MacMullan's piece at espn.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/summer/...iana-taurasi-brings-winning-attitude-us-women

So, even though Bird was fairly confident Australia wouldn't shoot 61 percent again in the second half, and even though Taurasi was convinced her teammates could do a better job of negating the Aussies' bigs, the duo strode into the locker room at halftime and unloaded on their star-studded roster.

"I went off for about eight minutes, and then Sue went at it for a good four,'' Taurasi said. "It was basketball stuff, you know? Australia's a big team. If you think you can just come down and play them one-on-one, then you're out of your mind.''

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So, 11 years later, Dee's elders no longer need to reign her in. :)

And Dee gives Geno the nod to bring Asjha in.

She is one of a kind.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Saying what needs to be said is an absolutely critical quality for players like Sue and D to inherit from some of players that have hung it up from the past couple of Olympic teams. It'll be Maya and Tina before we know it.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Seimone definitely heard what they had to say about keeping Cambage from getting low post position. Once, she took Cambage on at the top of the key as the Opals went on offense and banged with her for about 5 seconds before turning Cambage over the Tina or Asjha. Loved it!

Reaction Score
Thanks to UConnCat for posting this. Enjoyed reading about the halftime pep talk. Sue Bird NEVER screamed at half time!!!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Here are some video interviews at the wnba site. Geno, Tamika and Lindsay.http://www.wnba.com/video/wnba/2012/08/09/20120809genodesktopmov-2182671/
http://www.wnba.com/video/wnba/2012/08/09/20120809genodesktopmov-2182671/

Geno has always talked about players doing what they do best and bringing that to the team. Sounds like he's repeated that mantra to Team USA as well. He drew up come catch and shoot plays for Siemone and she did was she does best which is to knock the shots down. Good stuff.

The more I watch and listen to Catchings the more I like her ... and I liked her a lot before the Olympics.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I have not been the biggest Seimone fan - she has a silky smooth shot, but tends to be a black hole when she gets the ball, and has not always given 100% on the defensive end. BUT wow - her defensive intensity in that second half was very impressive! She was everywhere banging the bigs, and locked down on the perimeter. Add in the silky smooth shot and she was very very good!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Saying what needs to be said is an absolutely critical quality for players like Sue and D to inherit from some of players that have hung it up from the past couple of Olympic teams. It'll be Maya and Tina before we know it.

Could be awhile...........they will speak up more as they log more years with Team USA but I don't see either of them taking the locker room by the throat like DT and Sue. It's not in their makeup

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I have not been the biggest Seimone fan - she has a silky smooth shot, but tends to be a black hole when she gets the ball, and has not always given 100% on the defensive end. BUT wow - her defensive intensity in that second half was very impressive! She was everywhere banging the bigs, and locked down on the perimeter. Add in the silky smooth shot and she was very very good!
Like Angel, Seimone has thought she needed to do everything to carry her team. She played good defense in the second half. You could see it in her stance and facial expression.

I can name some prominent head coaches who would have been unable to draw up plays for Seimone. Nice work by Geno!

Reaction Score

That's the metamorphosis she seemed to undergo when Maya joined the team last year. Suddenly she was on board with taking on the other team's best player on defense. You can see how effective she can be...it's a decision not everyone wants to make.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Could be awhile...........they will speak up more as they log more years with Team USA but I don't see either of them taking the locker room by the throat like DT and Sue. It's not in their makeup
Well, they have a while. They only do these things every four years. :)

After watching them rattle off 78 straight wins together, I think they'll find their voices if that's what's necessary. They're just too competitive not to.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
That's the metamorphosis she seemed to undergo when Maya joined the team last year. Suddenly she was on board with taking on the other team's best player on defense. You can see how effective she can be...it's a decision not everyone wants to make.

That's certainly part of it and she's on record having said so, but in the two years prior she was nowhere near 100% physically, with various issues. In the offseason prior to last season, she was healthy, she got really fit and lean (dropped 15 pounds or something like that) and Cheryl Reeve directly challenged her to play D at the same level she played O. With Maya bringing new energy and commitment to the team, it all came together.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That's certainly part of it and she's on record having said so, but in the two years prior she was nowhere near 100% physically, with various issues. In the offseason prior to last season, she was healthy, she got really fit and lean (dropped 15 pounds or something like that) and Cheryl Reeve directly challenged her to play D at the same level she played O. With Maya bringing new energy and commitment to the team, it all came together.
Good point re the physical issues she was having - but her second half defense was fierce/brutal in a way I had not seen with this team up until that point. I think she and Tina both took it 'personal' after the first half. Loved her quote about when Sue raises her voice you have to take it personal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom