USA Basketball officials explain leaving Parker off Olympic team | The Boneyard

USA Basketball officials explain leaving Parker off Olympic team

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I've not had a chance to read the entire article BUT... I wanted to post it here in a separate thread on its own so that people can see what USA BB is saying and also point out it's a committee of 5 people that makes the call. Not a decision of Geno or UCONN homers...

In fact, COACH GENO AURIEMMA IS NOT ON THE SELECTION COMMITTEE. I purposely put that sentence all in CAPS for anyone who thinks UCONN or Geno has any undue influence on the team. People who want to complain and BLAME anyone can keep Geno out of it. Go talk to Carol Callan...

USA Basketball article

We don’t get into specifics speaking about each player publicly,” said Callan, part of a five-person team selection committee. “Needless to say there are a lot of deliberations. We have a committee for a reason. … What it does speak to is that we have incredible depth on this team. … We’re looking at depth and talent at each position, and there are just a lot of numbers games that are played at that three-four position that is the strength of our team. We appreciate Candace. It’s not an easy call to make.”
http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2016/04/27/candace-parker-olympic-team-roster/

Last edited:

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Anyone who doesn't think Geno has influence on the roster is kidding themselves. I'm not going to get into who's right or wrong in terms of leaving Candace off, but Geno definitely has a say and he and the committee didn't choose her. Such is life. Could happen to any one of the UConn players next cycle.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Geno has influence on the roster is kidding themselves

Of course he has 'influence.' But anyone who's read "Venus to the Hoop" and "Shooting from the Outside" understands how much/little influence they have BECAUSE USOC doesn't want to create the impression of bias/favoritism.

'sides, if Geno didn't want Parker on the team, how on earth did she get on USA teams in previous years.

Reaction Score
Why would they have a committee if the coach decides who is on/off the team? Does he have veto power? Does he count as much as 1/2 of the 5 members? Do they vote on each player? Can he select players?

We will never know the extend of his influence.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Anyone who doesn't think Geno has influence on the roster is kidding themselves. I'm not going to get into who's right or wrong in terms of leaving Candace off, but Geno definitely has a say and he and the committee didn't choose her. Such is life. Could happen to any one of the UConn players next cycle.

You don't know whether he agreed or disagreed with the decision not to include Candace. This is pure speculation.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Parker was on the 2012 Olympic team that Geno coached. Anyone who really thinks Geno had a say in Candace NOT making the team is kidding themselves. I don't know how to put it any more clearly. He wasn't even on the 5 member selection committee. But I suspect trying to convince you of the reality would be like trying to convince an atheist in the existence of God... Maybe if Carol came out and said "Geno had no say in keeping Parker off the team" that would be enough for you... but I'm not holding my breath for that to happen.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Why would they have a committee if the coach decides who is on/off the team?

Does he have veto power? NO
Does he count as much as 1/2 of the 5 members? NO
Do they vote on each player? YES
Can he select players? NO

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Geno selects the team and the committee can either veto his decision or accept it. He already stated he would not have come back to coach unless DT and Sue were on the team. He gave the committee an ultimatum and they accepted his demands. How could he make those demands, if he had no say?

Reaction Score
Honestly, Geno may not have a direct say, but he has an influence in the form of being coach. The committee is not going to pick players who don't fit into his system.

My opinion is that Parker got the boot because EDD needed a spot and they are grooming Stewart to take the reins for the forseeable future. Not to mention, Stewart has a relationship equal or even superior to any olympian to play for USA basketball. To me, there was no way they are leaving their poster child off the roster. Unfortunately, it came at the expense of a fantastic player. Parker is definitely more skilled than players on the current roster, but other players can be utilized in different spots on the floor. I believe that Stewart and EDD can do most all of what parker can also do.

If it were me, I would have found room for Parker, but the committe has to realistically think that Bird, Catchings, Whalen, Augustus, and maybe Fowles and Taurasi are all in their final olympics. Need some youth to gain experience before they get the keys to the car.

Reaction Score
I asked Geno after one of his radio shows "how much say do you have in choosing the olympic team?"

His answer was that he would have more input this time rather than 2012 because USA Basketball trusts him more. He said there is a selection committee and he does not have a vote. However, he is the coach and will advocate. He's in the room during the decision process.

I'm not saying he's the one who said don't have Candace come back. I'm just pointing out that Geno does have a weighed opinion.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
We will probably never know why the committee chose to keep Parker off the team, but I am 100% certain that Auriemma had an input and I am even more certain that it had something to do with Parker and 2012. One of the top players in the country would not be left off the team for no reason other than the "there are just a lot of numbers games that are played at that three-four position that is the strength of our team. " pap that Callan was spewing.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
The article does kinda imply that Stewart took Parker's slot. Let's see, nine returning players, so three not returning. A. Jones is retired, CP, who is the third? (Dupree, I think). Three added are Britney Griner, EDD, and Stewart, all tall. Do the math.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I have a hard time believing the transcript provided by USA basketball is the full transcript. Just one question on Parker? And no reporter had any follow-ups on Callan's obviously prepared answer?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The article does kinda imply that Stewart took Parker's slot. Let's see, nine returning players, so three not returning. A. Jones is retired, CP, who is the third? (Dupree, I think). Three added are Britney Griner, EDD, and Stewart, all tall. Do the math.
Um - Swin Cash is the third player not making the team from the last Olympics - see they dropped two Uconn players and on TN player and replaced them with a Baylor, a Delaware, and a Uconn player.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Um - Swin Cash is the third player not making the team from the last Olympics - see they dropped two Uconn players and on TN player and replaced them with a Baylor, a Delaware, and a Uconn player.
Thanks. Cash wasn't one of the final 25, was she? I think Griner and EDD make the 2012 team, if healthy. Am I right?

ETA: After winning the championship on 3 April 2012, Griner decided to withdraw her candidacy for a roster spot on the 2012 U.S. Olympic women's basketball team. A month later Griner broke her wrist after jumping off her skateboard when she was going down a ramp.[23]

During the 2012–13 season, Delle Donne again fought Lyme disease, missing four games due to the illness.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I don't know how much things have changed over the years regarding coach's input. I remember for the 1996 Olympics Vanderveer did NOT want Lobo on the team and she sure didn't play much. Obviously coming off the massive uptick in interest of the "95" undefeated UCONN team the powers that be really wanted her on that team. Maybe someday we'll hear the real reason why Parker wasn't selected. Sure wasn't talent.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
STORRS, Conn. — Geno Auriemma doesn’t think he would have returned to coach the U.S. women’s basketball team at a second straight Olympics unless Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi came back, too.

Geno Auriemma wouldn’t have returned without Sue Bird, Diana Taurasi

Uh, uh... Kaizen I do like the article, just don't think you're helping the argument that Geno is not the Basketball God! ;) The arguments that he had a beef with Candace are so pathetic I can make this little joke among friends! :) It simply is not his fault that some of the greatest talents in HS ball come to Connecticut and get so much better that they become great professionals and Olympians. It is his fault that they all say the best years of their lives were at UConn with HIM and theyjust keep going back and "snuggling" with friends and the next generation. FOR SHAME GENO, FOR SHAME! :cool:

Reaction Score
Uh, uh... Kaizen I do like the article, just don't think you're helping the argument that Geno is not the Basketball God! ;) The arguments that he had a beef with Candace are so pathetic I can make this little joke among friends! :) It simply is not his fault that some of the greatest talents in HS ball come to Connecticut and get so much better that they become great professionals and Olympians. It is his fault that they all say the best years of their lives were at UConn with HIM and theyjust keep going back and "snuggling" with friends and the next generation. FOR SHAME GENO, FOR SHAME! :cool:
Yes, you are right Geno is a human not God. He has felling and humanity. That is the reason we love him. Sue and DT like her daughters and they are the two best players in the US Team, actually I will add Maya too. I am very proud that Geno made that statement about Sue and DT.
We are all humans, right?

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

How do you know this? Do you specific inside info? Please provide specifics to support confidence. As for me, I have no idea.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The Title for the post should have been;

USA Basketball officials do not explain leaving Parker off Olympic team

Out of kindness and dignity I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors