USA Basketball Invitees | The Boneyard

USA Basketball Invitees

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Congratulations for Stewart and Dolson. Is there any other Husky who should have been invited? This was posted on Facebook.

1660678689081.png

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If Napheesa were 100%, I am sure she would be invited. Happy for Steph. She is playing some of her best basketball over the past month.

I imagine if Paige were healthy, she would have been invited and I am a bit surprised Caitlin was not since Aaliyah was

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
No Tina??

They have finally gone young. Angel is the oldest, but I don’t think she’s realistic. EDD is next, but can she play every day?

3 rookies and a college player.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Last time that it was like this was 2006 and they ended with a bronze. Good players, but ... lack of experience and lack of international experience is worrying. Diggins-Smith and DT might be injury related. Surprised about Charles as she is still playing well and would be a good mentor I would think.

Not surprised they didn't call Clark and wouldn't have expected Paige either - unless it was just to give them exposure to the team. They have enough young'uns to work into the team.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Here are the invitees:

The training camp invitee list features 11 athletes who have claimed a combined 21 Olympic (five-on-five, 3x3) and FIBA World Cup (five-on-five) gold medals.

Participating athletes include Ariel Atkins, Shakira Austin, Aliyah Boston, Kahleah Copper, Elena Delle Donne, Diamond DeShields, Stefanie Dolson, Allisha Gray, Chelsea Gray, Dearica Hamby, Myisha Hines-Allen, Natasha Howard, Rhyne Howard, Sabrina Ionescu, Brionna Jones, Betnijah Laney, Jewell Loyd, Kayla McBride, Angel McCoughtry, Arike Ogunbowale, Kelsey Plum, Aerial Powers, NaLyssa Smith, Breanna Stewart, Alyssa Thomas, Courtney Williams, A’ja Wilson and Jackie Young.

Dillon druthers:
  • All four of the gold-medal winning 3x3 members are invited: Plum, Dolson, Gray and Young.
  • Can't help but note solid representation from teams that have their WNBA head coaches as USA assistant coaches: Thibault and Miller.
  • That said, good to see the three top rookies (Howard, Austin, Smith) get an invite.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
In 2006, USA had
Swoopes who had played in 5 competitions 2 WC and 3 Olympic with 4 gold and a bronze (1994 WC)
Smith 4 golds
Milton-Jones 3 golds
Bird and Catchings each had 2 gold
DT and Thompson each with 1 gold

Total players with experience 7, total of 18 medals.

Dillon77 - not buying Olympic 3X3 as equivalent to NT experience - different game played in a different competitive format on a different court and a different ball with actual in game coaching - I think the backboard rim and net are the same but that is it.

Current pool has eight players with NT experience and 17 medals (all gold, duh.)
Stewart and McCoughtry each have 4
Wilson, Loyd, and EDD have 2 each
Plum, Atkins, and Gray each have 1

If McCoughtry doesn't make the team (as a few suspect) that would remove a lot of experience. She has been in the pool since her first Olympics in 2012. I'll mention again Charles with the team since 2010 with 6 medals is an interesting drop, especially with Fowles and Griner out.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Arike is presumably a no-go; had surgery a week or so ago for what sounds like an awful pelvic-muscular injury. Hamby I would think is unlikely (knee contusion?), out something like 2-4 weeks.

I'm borderline shocked that Angel was invited since she played two games this year before the Lynx cut her, and she didn't look great in those.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom