USA 16U Team Trials - General | Page 2 | The Boneyard

USA 16U Team Trials - General

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Dillon77 - Yes I saw Chris D in Holmdel watching Celeste Taylor earlier this year...if she can be more consistent with her outside shooting she could be a top 25 player....like you said Lola Mullaney came off the bench but she is extremely talented...maybe not UConn level but she will start for a good DI team...l.Tori Hyduke has actually surpassed Mullaney with her play last year and she will also make an impact at the DI level.....the big question is where the third Mabrey sister will matriculate.....have Muffet's mavens been clamoring for her at ND? She is is the quickest and best ball handler of the three and her outside shot is almost their equal..

McGraw's Bench would love to have a Mabrey trifecta. In fact, I'm probably the one leading/inciting the "Dara, Come West to South Bend" movement. (Unfortunately, we all know how much sway we carry :rolleyes: ;)). I think her combination of skills sets you've mentioned would be a perfect complement to what Coaches Muffet and Niele have recruited thus far: She is a good ball handler and will only get more experience next year when she (probably) takes over lead ball-handling responsibilities at Manasquan HS. This experience would help her spell Jenna Brown, the 2018 PG commit. She also plays some tough man-on-man defense and that could help her take the spot of Mychal Johnson, who has one more year left. Plus, she scores well like Marina and is getting her long-range bombing up to her sister's range (although neither shoots from another continent like Michaela).

Unfortunately, MM and NI have filled their 2018 class with multiple guards -- the PG Brown, shooting guard Katlyn Gilbert and wing Abby Prohaska, who is something of a jack of all trades in her own right (kind of reminds me of Brittany Mallory). MM says she wants one more post/forward in this 2018 class to join Danielle Cosgrove and possibly one more player, probably a guard. Pure speculation but me thinks she's aiming high for Christyn Williams. While the Irish are finalists, that scenario looks like a crap shoot, with Texas now getting back in the mix. I'm guessing we're got to hang in there (at least) until we get CW to campus for an official visit. If CW says "no," is DM next? Who knows? It's been quiet, but NI has been east a lot and I'm sure she's gone down to the shore.

Interestingly, I thought an option for Dara would've been Michigan where former Mabrey HS running mate Katelynn Flaherty has been having a fine run. And Dara actually has a lot of Flaherty's game. However, Katelynn's position coach, one Megan Duffy, is now coach at Miami of Ohio. Even though Mike Mabrey is Duffy's guard coach, I can't see Dara slipping away from a P5 school. But Dara herself has been quiet on what she's after.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
140+ is a big number, the reason it is that large is because U16 is the last year you can “self-nominate” after this tryouts are by invitation only. From the people trying out I’m sure I’ll miss a few UConn connections:

Myra Gordon
visited with her sister Lexi.

Te-Hina Paopao has been mentioned on BY also. She is from same HS as Candice Wiggins (ah…. (f)orget her! Same HS as Kelsey Plum and is also making noise in Cali as a PG
You are such a cheeky gent! Also chatter from fans in Texas-- Baylor and Horns fans both, I hear that Myra is coming along nicely.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
She has gotten a head start on things, estimating she has taken somewhere between 10 and 20 unofficial visits. One of those trips was to Storrs and the University of Connecticut last October.

"I wanted to see UConn practice for a long time and it was great to experience it for myself," said Brunelle, who received a scholarship offer from coach Geno Auriemma during her visit. "I'm really glad I got to see how hard they really work. It was amazing for me to see the different things they do. It showed me why they're constantly a national championship contender."

For those awaiting a final decision, they'll be waiting awhile longer. Brunelle said she has yet to put together a college list but will put one together in August or September.

"I'm still taking it nice and slow," Brunelle said. "But it would be nice to have a decision made before my senior year so I can have that year to relax and prepare for college."

https://www.sny.tv/uconn/news/sam-brunelle-hoping-to-set-gold-standard/232600656

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
BTW: a report from Bret McCormick says that Boston is probably the best post in her class [2019].
Mike Flynn calls her the best post in high school.

Aliyah and Samantha have very different skill sets....they would flourish together in Storrs.

Reaction Score
They could run that high-low with a high that can actually shoot to draw the defense. Like KLS does for Collier.

Reaction Score
BTW: a report from Bret McCormick says that Boston is probably the best post in her class [2019].
Mike Flynn calls her the best post in high school.

Aliyah and Samantha have very different skill sets....they would flourish together in Storrs.

Sam can shoot from anywhere on the floor.
She has no conscience.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
"Myra Gordon will miss her sister's high school graduation Saturday and miss the chance to say goodbye Sunday when Lexi Gordon heads to Storrs for the start of summer classes at UConn."

Myra is welcome to Storrs any time she wants. :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom