US World Cup Qualifying | The Boneyard

US World Cup Qualifying

Reaction Score
With Copa in the rear-view mirror and the Olympics soon to be there, too, its time to change focus to 2018 WC Qualifying.

So, starting out with this from ESPN on possible roster additions for the next two matches. Try to get past the fist entry without throwing-up (I did a little myself). I especially like the prop given to Lynden Gooch, whose first match in EPL play was against Man City and he held his own by all accounts.

U.S. Hot List: Competition brews as Howard heats up and Guzan sits out

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
With Copa in the rear-view mirror and the Olympics soon to be there, too, its time to change focus to 2018 WC Qualifying.

So, starting out with this from ESPN on possible roster additions for the next two matches. Try to get past the fist entry without throwing-up (I did a little myself). I especially like the prop given to Lynden Gooch, whose first match in EPL play was against Man City and he held his own by all accounts.

U.S. Hot List: Competition brews as Howard heats up and Guzan sits out

You know what? I'd rather have Jozy as a reserve than Wondo. He's got speed at least and this report says he's lost weight.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You know what? I'd rather have Jozy as a reserve than Wondo. He's got speed at least and this report says he's lost weight.
Damn straight.
biglebowskytumb.jpg

Reaction Score
Damn straight.

At this point, I would rather have JK himself lace up some old cleats and come on as an offensive sub over Wondo. JK would be goof for at least one Emmy Award winning dive to earn the US a PK in injury time.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
At this point, I would rather have JK himself lace up some old cleats and come on as an offensive sub over Wondo. JK would be goof for at least one Emmy Award winning dive to earn the US a PK in injury time.
Bornstein must have given those photos of Bob Bradley he had to Wondo. Wondo must have photoshopped Klinsmann in place of Bob. :D

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
I can see Jozy back in the line-up, especially as Dempsey, who I hopes is OK, is out for the foreseeable future; but, I have one word to ponder - WONDO?!

Jozy Altidore returns to United States squad for World Cup qualifiers

Maybe go with a 4-4-2 with Jozy off the bench as a immediate goal scorer?

GK - Howard
D - Yeldin, Brook, Cameron, Johnson
M - Bedoya, Nagbe, Bradley, Pulisic
F - Wood, Morris

A lot of speed and some decent offensive punch. SV&G is likely going to sit back. Will need to speed to extend them and opportunistic players to take advantage of opportunities as they arise, especially as I bet the pitch at SV&G will likely not be up to MLS (or high school) standards. Only concern is fitness with the European leagues just starting.

Accidentally forget to give him a plane ticket - Wondo.

Reaction Score
Man, I watched the end of the Gladbach game. We HAVE to find someone who can stick at leftback so that Fabian Johnson can play on the wing. He's the most experienced and technical player that we have outside of Dempsey, who is just not going to be as available.

I have no problem with Gooch and Green being left out. They are at critical junctures with their clubs. All that wing depth leads me to believe that we'll be playing a 4-3-3, but if we go two up top, then it will Jozy and Wood.

Reaction Score
Didn't get to watch today's USMNT game (not sure if it was even in TV), but everything I read seems to say Wood looked natural and paired nicely with Altidore. Altidore was a match up problem for SVG back line, physically, which led to a lot of free kicks, Pulisic looked like a natural an controlled the game in his 20+ minutes - netting 2 and a ssisting a 3rd, and we got out healthy. Yedlin picked up a yellow (not sure if that's his 2nd or not). SVG is a weak team, bus the US handled their business as expected. Here's hoping for a T&T draw of win v Honduras so we can play most of the young guns mid-week.

Reaction Score
Didn't get to watch today's USMNT game (not sure if it was even in TV), but everything I read seems to say Wood looked natural and paired nicely with Altidore. Altidore was a match up problem for SVG back line, physically, which led to a lot of free kicks, Pulisic looked like a natural an controlled the game in his 20+ minutes - netting 2 and a ssisting a 3rd, and we got out healthy. Yedlin picked up a yellow (not sure if that's his 2nd or not). SVG is a weak team, bus the US handled their business as expected. Here's hoping for a T&T draw of win v Honduras so we can play most of the young guns mid-week.

Yedlin is out for the next one. It was on Bein sports.

It was a good outing. I want to see Pulisic on the right and Fabian on left in the Hex.

Hopefully we start the kids against T&T.

Reaction Score
Yedlin is out for the next one. It was on Bein sports.

It was a good outing. I want to see Pulisic on the right and Fabian on left in the Hex.

Hopefully we start the kids against T&T.

Rooting for T&T to win their next match that puts the US through automatically and would allow the youngsters to play in the next match. I even want to see Horvath in net.

Overall it was a godo game. The vets were clinical early on; but, got lazy in the second half. Actually like how Wood and Altidore work together. Very lucky not to concede a goal or two (1 was clearly offsides and or keeper interference, second was just offside). St. Vincent is a very fast team and a team with that speed and more ability would have caused problems for the backline. Really liked the spark that Pulisic added in the second half.

Did not matter in the end; but, really want to ask the Referee what it would take for St. Vincent to earn a red card. The 'tackle' on Wood that gave Jozy his PK (why do shooters fire straight down the middle, lucky) was a straight red based on the tackle alone never mind that it was a goal scoring opportunity - late, reckless challenge from behind with a foot so high it hit wood straight in the chest. The flying WWE move on the sidelines later on was also, late, reckless and high with no intent of a 'soccer' play. That's a straight red to me, also. Wasn't even called a foul. Should led to an indirect US kick, not a throw-in.

Reaction Score
So barring an absolute meltdown of the US losing and Guatemala winning and the goal differentials of the combine games is 12 or more, the US is thru. So what does the Hex look like? Mexico, T&T, Panama, and CR are all thru. Honduras is sitting nicely, but Canada could realistically catch them (they'd need to beat El Salvador, Honduras lost @ Mexico, and make up a 5 goal differential. Unlikely, but not out of the question). The only remaining question is who finishes 1/2 between CR & Panam (they play each other), and US & T&T.

If US beats T&T and wins the group their Hex schedule will be:
11/11/16 Mexico - a Friday night in Columbus. UConn is off that week.
11/15/16 @ Costa Rica (maybe Panama)
3/24/17 v Honduras (slim chance Canada)
3/28/17 @ Panama (maybe CR)
6/9/17 v T&T
6/13/17 @ Mexico
9/1/17 Costa Rica (maybe Panama)
9/5/17 @ Honduras (slim chance Canada)
10/6/17 Panama (maybe CR)
10/10/17 @ T&T

If the US draws or loses to T&T and finishes 2nd their Hex schedule will be:
11/11/16 Costa Rica (maybe Panama)
11/15/16 @ Honduras
3/24/17 Panama (maybe CR)
3/28/17 Mexico
6/9/17 @ T&T
6/13/17 @ Costa Rica (maybe Panama)
9/1/17 Honduras
9/5/17 @ Panama (maybe CR)
10/6/17 @ Mexico
10/10/17 T&T

Reaction Score
Rooting for T&T to win their next match that puts the US through automatically and would allow the youngsters to play in the next match. I even want to see Horvath in net.

Overall it was a godo game. The vets were clinical early on; but, got lazy in the second half. Actually like how Wood and Altidore work together. Very lucky not to concede a goal or two (1 was clearly offsides and or keeper interference, second was just offside). St. Vincent is a very fast team and a team with that speed and more ability would have caused problems for the backline. Really liked the spark that Pulisic added in the second half.

Did not matter in the end; but, really want to ask the Referee what it would take for St. Vincent to earn a red card. The 'tackle' on Wood that gave Jozy his PK (why do shooters fire straight down the middle, lucky) was a straight red based on the tackle alone never mind that it was a goal scoring opportunity - late, reckless challenge from behind with a foot so high it hit wood straight in the chest. The flying WWE move on the sidelines later on was also, late, reckless and high with no intent of a 'soccer' play. That's a straight red to me, also. Wasn't even called a foul. Should led to an indirect US kick, not a throw-in.

It was 95 degrees. Sascha and CP came on with fresh legs and just controlled things. Either our team sucks and those two guys are amazing or the guys on the field were cooked.

Reaction Score
Any ideas for a lineup tonight?

Jurgen says they are going in with a best possible lineup to get the W. Earlier he said that he wanted to play the kids in this game if the Hex was locked up, but since it technically isn't then I guess he has to go for it.

Michael Bradley and Orozco are back from their suspensions. Deandre Yedlin is out for suspension. Matt Besler went back to KC to be with his newborn.

I still don't see Jurgen starting either Christian Pulisic or Darlington Nagbe. I think he actually wants something potent coming off the bench. So if you sub in Graham Zusi for Pulisic then that only makes sense if you are defending a lead, although I'm not certain that CP is a worse defender.

So this is my predicted lineup:

Howard
Orozco Cameron Gonzales Acosta
Johnson Bradley Beckerman Zusi
Wood Altidore

And here would be Zoocougar's lineup:

Guzan
Zusi Cameron Gonzales Acosta
Johnson Sascha Bradley Pulisic
Wood Altidore

I wouldn't change goalkeepers. I understand why he is doing this, but I think the shifting has a negative effect on the back four and in set piece defending. Howard took a sabbatical and wanted to commentate on NBC. I'd stick with Guzan.

Zusi has played right back a bunch this season and hasn't looked bad. He's more likely to contribute offensively than Orozco. And I will sacrifice the position to keep Fabian Johnson in the midfield.

Kyle Beckerman can only make a forward pass if we're playing a minnow team like the Vincy Heat. I'd change it up entirely, with Michael Bradley behind him and Sascha in front. Sascha is just so damn smooth, he's not super physical but he has an uncommon touch and creativity.

I would have our best two attacking wingers on the field at the start, with Jozy, Wood, Johnson and Pulisic as the four attackers, and hopefully with Bradley and Sascha feeding them balls we'll get some early goals and close up shop.

That leaves us with Bedoya, Nagbe and Morris to contribute of the bench in the attack, and Beckerman, Orozco and Birnbaum if needed to solidify in defense.

c29328

On Smoko
Reaction Score
Is the game on the tube? Looking for coverage. Like to hoist a couple and see some soccer.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
USA looking pretty good. The young guys showing some poise.

Reaction Score
Nothing more thrilling than watching the young ones come out and play with so much flare (Pulisic) and pace, for team USA. This is fun (USA up 4-0, so far)

Reaction Score
Great night for the young talent and Sascha.

Bad night for the Jurgen haters.

Reaction Score
It was one ga angainst "decent" competition (you can't draw much from SVG), and they looked very good. That group up top was pretty dynamic last night. Sill some lapses across the back line that they ended up getting away with (but the likes of Mexico or CR may have capitalized on those types of opportunities).
Pulisic was very impressive. He was a leader on the field who made the guys around him better too... got them involved, created his own space well, and used other players to create space (i.e. his assist to Jozy off the give and go with I forget who).
Sascha has played his way into a significant role in the Hex and beyond.
Jozy, when healthy and surrounded by guys who can free him up (Wood, Pulisic, etc...) is a good finisher. He just struggles creating his own shot. I've been a critic of his, but he seems to be in good form, and in this type of system he could be effective - if he stays healthy).

Reaction Score
It was one ga angainst "decent" competition (you can't draw much from SVG), and they looked very good. That group up top was pretty dynamic last night. Sill some lapses across the back line that they ended up getting away with (but the likes of Mexico or CR may have capitalized on those types of opportunities).
Pulisic was very impressive. He was a leader on the field who made the guys around him better too... got them involved, created his own space well, and used other players to create space (i.e. his assist to Jozy off the give and go with I forget who).
Sascha has played his way into a significant role in the Hex and beyond.
Jozy, when healthy and surrounded by guys who can free him up (Wood, Pulisic, etc...) is a good finisher. He just struggles creating his own shot. I've been a critic of his, but he seems to be in good form, and in this type of system he could be effective - if he stays healthy).

I was going to say the same things about Pulisic. I'll tell you, I was worried he might actually get sold to Stoke or even Liverpool and be surrounded by less talented players which would bring him down, but after he made some of our guys look better than they actually are I think he would shine in any setup.

He sort of reminds me of when CR7 showed up on the scene. He gets the ball on the flanks and the other team just kind of watches and hopes that he doesn't do anything too dangerous, almost like a cornerback giving too much cushion to a WR. He was easily the best player on the field and while not perfect, the mistakes he made were due to a lack of familiarity or because he tried to do too much.

Cameron is pretty much locked down a spot on the back four. I thought Howard actually looked really good, I just feel more comfortable when he is between the sticks. I really dig Sascha's poise and presence with the ball. We've missed that type of player for at least two years now and his time with the Red Bulls has made him better.

Downside... Bedoya had a great summer for us, but he's looked utterly ordinary as of late. I suspect he'll linger around for the whole cycle because Klinsmann likes his defensive work rate, but he's looked sub par in the past two games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom