ot: US Women's Soccer | The Boneyard

ot: US Women's Soccer

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Watched some of it. They were using some new formation and they looked good. Could easily have been 4-0 instead of 2-0.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Watched some of it. They were using some new formation and they looked good. Could easily have been 4-0 instead of 2-0.

"Could have been" or "should have been" 4-0?

I watched the whole game, and the US front line just did not finish well on scoring opportunities. Two shots off the cross-bar and many other examples of incompetency regarding putting the damn ball in the damn net. I am getting really tired of watching our National Team go spastic inside of 18 yards. And, yes, I blame the coaching staff. If the forwards can't shoot the ball into the net, then they should be spending four hours per day learning/practicing shooting skills.

What is the point of practicing other skills if when you get into scoring range you can't score? Players have to score if they want to win soccer games.

Sorry for the rant, but I have been studying the art of putting the ball in the net for 60+ years -- and the current (and recent) US Soccer Teams have not been competent at the ultimate skill (scoring) that is required to be successful in the sport of soccer.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Finishing was a problem at the World Cup, too.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Finishing was a problem at the World Cup, too.

Amen, Icebear. The US Team SHOULD have won the final game against the Japanese. They wasted many scoring opportunities.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Yea they, along with the MNT are trying out the German's 4-2-3-1 system. Not sure if they really have the personnel for it or not?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I watched the whole game, and the US front line just did not finish well on scoring opportunities. Two shots off the cross-bar and many other examples of incompetency regarding putting the damn ball in the damn net. I am getting really tired of watching our National Team go spastic inside of 18 yards. And, yes, I blame the coaching staff. If the forwards can't shoot the ball into the net, then they should be spending four hours per day learning/practicing shooting skills.

I'm pretty sure they spend quite a bit of time on finishing drills.

What is the point of practicing other skills if when you get into scoring range you can't score?

You're not seriously asking this are you?

Reaction Score
Did anyone notice how great the short possession was in this game? You can tell that they have been working on keeping the ball, after being taught a clinic in it by Japan.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Yes, I am serious.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. The US Team has been awful at "finishing" or scoring for
many years. In last year's World Cup games, the US had a number of close games against teams that
had far less talent -- because the US had many scoring opportunities that they did not finish.

I think this fault in the US system has its roots in a failure to focus on developing good scorers at every age level of the ODP (Olympic Development Program). And it is not just the last player who takes (mostly misses) the shots on goal.

It is JMHO that there are offensive strategies available that can lead to many more "dangerous scoring opportunities" than what we see at all levels of US Soccer. The truth is that this element of the game (creating scoring opportunities) is not well taught throughout the soccer world.

This is a big topic for another day.

Peace.

OC

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Did anyone notice how great the short possession was in this game? You can tell that they have been working on keeping the ball, after being taught a clinic in it by Japan.

Yes, I noticed it, and good for the US Team if they are, indeed, improving their ball possession skills. The problem is that mid-field and defensive half possessions don't necessarily lead to goals. Time of possession is less important than number of times per game a team creates a "dangerous scoring opportunity."

If anyone is really interested in pursuing this idea, please feel free to email me at: wwitherell2@gmail.com.

OC

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
One thing I never understood about the US tactics was their apparent neglect of hard shots on the goalie and efforts to score on the cleanup. Instead they missed shots high and wide of goal while shooting for corners which provides zero opportunity for rebounds. Bury in hard into the goalie and make them make a save and attack on the rebound.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes, I am serious.

Ok then. The point of working on other aspects of the game is to create possession. Without possession you can't score. Can't score without the ball. Also to create scoring opportunities. You can't score if you have no opportunities to score.

Also, coming into the last WC, our defense was not very good. I still don't think it is that good, but is being covered up somewhat by our possession (which is a good thing). We need to find another CB for Buehler and really a second another beyond that for Rampone (as she is getting older). And we still need a proper LB. So keeping the other team from scoring is also a reason to work on other aspects of the game.

So there are lots and lots of things to work on besides finishing (which I am sure they do anyway).

We can't win on just athleticism anymore. We actually have to play football - all aspects.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
One thing I never understood about the US tactics was their apparent neglect of hard shots on the goalie and efforts to score on the cleanup. Instead they missed shots high and wide of goal while shooting for corners which provides zero opportunity for rebounds. Bury in hard into the goalie and make them make a save and attack on the rebound.

Well shoot hard and hope something happens is more of a tactic for say recreation league. I'm hoping they would work on some more sophisticated tactics.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Well shoot hard and hope something happens is more of a tactic for say recreation league. I'm hoping they would work on some more sophisticated tactics.
I understand what you mean but there is a balance point between the two approaches, grade school and hope for the best and wasted shots off goal from shots cut too fine and not executed well, quality shots buried hard on goal and cleaned up are seen everyday in the Euro league.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I understand what you mean but there is a balance point between the two approaches, grade school and hope for the best and wasted shots off goal from shots cut too fine and not executed well, quality shots buried hard on goal and cleaned up are seen everyday in the Euro league.

I don't think the WNT is trying to be too fancy in front of goal, I think just the opposite.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I don't think the WNT is trying to be too fancy in front of goal, I think just the opposite.
I agree, I don't consider what they are doing to be fancy, just not effective.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I agree, I don't consider what they are doing to be fancy, just not effective.

But you want then to be less fancy/sophisticated?

The point is blasting the ball and hoping for a rebound isn't particularly effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom