US WNT | The Boneyard

US WNT

Reaction Score
This soccer forum is certainly focused on men, but I do enjoy the women's team. I saw there is a thread in the women's basketball board, but thought it might be nice to have one here. Mods can delete if inappropriate.

I haven't been too impressed with the women leading up to the Olympics. Not that they haven't looked good, but I didn't see the invincibility that has led everyone to pick them as a lock gold medal team. I think Alex Morgan, in particular, has looked terrible but she started. I didn't get up at 4:30am to watch today, but looks like they got destroyed by Sweden. It looks like Andonovski made a lot of changes, but I guess nothing worked. Sweden is the strongest competition in the group, so they'll probably still move on, but a 3 goal deficit certainly isn't a good start.

Reaction Score
I think they are insufferable. They are very hard to root for nowadays.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
There is a lack of toughness and defensively the midfield allows too many gaps.
They don't look cohesive overall.
The mental attitude is huge and when you let noise (Victoria Secret crap and MR and her LeBron-like political BS) distract you - it shows
The world overall is getting better in the women's soccer scene - the US has to readjust
As far as Alex Morgan is concerned - she is a scorer and has a great nose for the net but is very limited if her teammates don't give her enough quality touches
Its always been the USA vs the world - they are destined to be fallible at times
I still see then bringing home the Gold but 3 goals down is huge

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The numbers before this gamer are staggering though. Say what you want, you need to appreciate what they've accomplished.

• 44 game unbeaten streak leading up to this loss
  • Haven't loss by this much since 4-0 loss in 2007
  • Have only loss by 3+ goals 4 times in their history

This is a big turn of events. However, they went with a veteran squad and started 5 players over 32. They subbed in two players in their upper 30's. You have to think that at some point they need to move on and bring in the next generation.

Reaction Score
The numbers before this gamer are staggering though. Say what you want, you need to appreciate what they've accomplished.

This is a big turn of events. However, they went with a veteran squad and started 5 players over 32. They subbed in two players in their upper 30's. You have to think that at some point they need to move on and bring in the next generation.
It happens quickly in sports. You go from the veteran that has lost a step but is still superior through savvy to a hot mess quickly. Also, they may have too many savvy vets that have lost a step. Rapinoe and Morgan only seem to make runs for themselves rather than high work rates to free others. It may be time for Lloyd to pursue football. You can't have a full team like that.

I wonder if the problem is that the next generation isn't that great or just not ready. If it's the latter, it will be time to make the shift after the olympics even if it means losing games for a while.

Reaction Score

no denying they were dominant. But they have taken a hit in the likeability factor since the last World Cup.

I may have missed where she said it, but Rapinoe didn’t even give credit to the Swedes after the match.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
no denying they were dominant. But they have taken a hit in the likeability factor since the last World Cup.

I may have missed where she said it, but Rapinoe didn’t even give credit to the Swedes after the match.
I'm not sure, all I've seen is her saying that they, "got their expletive kicked". I've seen it in the multiple articles I've read. I guess that's giving Sweden credit because she's not saying it's their fault they lost?

Reaction Score

The same can be said about most elite athletes, no? You (people in general, not you in particular) usually pick the loudest players and leaders to make a generalization about the team. The Nets are totally unlikeable with Durant (new Durant, not OKC Durant) and Irving. Ronaldo is an arrogant D. The Bucks are likable (because it's the first time they won and Giannis seems like a good guy). But who knows how the rest of the players on these teams are. I actually don't think the US WNT has been likeable for a long time (if ever). They rarely credit other teams (although Rapinoe sort-of did re Sweden saying "we got our ass kicked" and "it hurts more because it's Sweden" because they are a rival), they celebrate blow-out goals, get favorable calls, and generally seem nasty on the field. They probably should be the villain and we'd love to hate them if they weren't our country's team. Still makes them interesting.

Re their politics and push for what they consider equal pay, I separate that. They are a pretty diverse group and I wouldn't want to judge the whole team because of the loudest person/people. And re equal pay, they need to scratch and claw for all they can get considering how mediocre their pay opportunities are compared to the men. Some of their arguments don't seem to make common sense, but I wouldn't trust the establishment to play fair either.

Reaction Score
The same can be said about most elite athletes, no? You (people in general, not you in particular) usually pick the loudest players and leaders to make a generalization about the team. The Nets are totally unlikeable with Durant (new Durant, not OKC Durant) and Irving. Ronaldo is an arrogant D. The Bucks are likable (because it's the first time they won and Giannis seems like a good guy). But who knows how the rest of the players on these teams are. I actually don't think the US WNT has been likeable for a long time (if ever). They rarely credit other teams (although Rapinoe sort-of did re Sweden saying "we got our ass kicked" and "it hurts more because it's Sweden" because they are a rival), they celebrate blow-out goals, get favorable calls, and generally seem nasty on the field. They probably should be the villain and we'd love to hate them if they weren't our country's team. Still makes them interesting.

Re their politics and push for what they consider equal pay, I separate that. They are a pretty diverse group and I wouldn't want to judge the whole team because of the loudest person/people. And re equal pay, they need to scratch and claw for all they can get considering how mediocre their pay opportunities are compared to the men. Some of their arguments don't seem to make common sense, but I wouldn't trust the establishment to play fair either.
They play for the USA and knelt (to protest America being a bunch of racists) during our anthem at the Olympics. They the proceeded to get stomped by Sweden, who stood respectfully for their anthem. So sad that our country is represented by this team.

Reaction Score

Yeah the politics is part of being insufferable. Plus in their drive for equal pay they bashed the other team as if it were a fair comparison.

and oh, woe is me.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
They play for the USA and knelt (to protest America being a bunch of racists) during our anthem at the Olympics.
I don't know that they did that. My understanding is they stood for the NA. They took a knee prior to kick-off like we've seen in some other leagues (EPL, Bundesliga, etc.). Along with the Sweden team and the referee.

Reaction Score
I don't know that they did that. My understanding is they stood for the NA. They took a knee prior to kick-off like we've seen in some other leagues (EPL, Bundesliga, etc.). Along with the Sweden team and the referee.
Per an article in USA Today (I know, it's not exactly the best source), "Media accounts of the demonstration in Tokyo, though, said all players stood for the national anthem, and all players on the field for the start of the match knelt."

There is a Facebook post going around on Facebook showing all but three players kneeling and saying it was during the anthem to show the disrespect from the others, and a split team. It's fake news (for better or worse). It sounds like both teams stood for their anthems, and both teams knelt before the whistle.

Also, I'm not a fan of kneeling for the anthem when you are representing the country. I'm a pretty liberal guy, and all about free speech (even if I don't like the words), but I think you should either decline the invite or stand respectively when it comes to representing the country in competition.

They still may be insufferable, but the facts are important.

Yeah the politics is part of being insufferable. Plus in their drive for equal pay they bashed the other team as if it were a fair comparison.

and oh, woe is me.

Re the Crystal Dunn article, I didn't read it at first because I assumed it was about the kneeling. But I read the article and I think it makes total sense. I absolutely think that darker skin players are discriminated against from marketing opportunities. Just like attractive white/lighter skinned players get more marketing opportunities. And Crystal probably got pigeon holed as a certain type of athlete because of her skin color. I'm surprised anyone would think that doesn't exist. It works the other way also. Look at everyone that compares white basketball player to only other white players.

Reaction Score
Per an article in USA Today (I know, it's not exactly the best source), "Media accounts of the demonstration in Tokyo, though, said all players stood for the national anthem, and all players on the field for the start of the match knelt."

There is a Facebook post going around on Facebook showing all but three players kneeling and saying it was during the anthem to show the disrespect from the others, and a split team. It's fake news (for better or worse). It sounds like both teams stood for their anthems, and both teams knelt before the whistle.

Also, I'm not a fan of kneeling for the anthem when you are representing the country. I'm a pretty liberal guy, and all about free speech (even if I don't like the words), but I think you should either decline the invite or stand respectively when it comes to representing the country in competition.

Re the Crystal Dunn article, I didn't read it at first because I assumed it was about the kneeling. But I read the article and I think it makes total sense. I absolutely think that darker skin players are discriminated against from marketing opportunities. Just like attractive white/lighter skinned players get more marketing opportunities. And Crystal probably got pigeon holed as a certain type of athlete because of her skin color. I'm surprised anyone would think that doesn't exist. It works the other way also. Look at everyone that compares white basketball player to only other white players.

How much in endorsements does a dark skinned athlete from Kenya get?

How about a white person from Latvia?

Reaction Score

Endorsement $$$$$. Michael Jordan or Larry Bird?

Reaction Score
Comparing apples to oranges; two homogenous countries with little or no real influence on the international endorsement stage versus a multi-ethnic giant.
BTW, I imagine you are glad to see an administration is finally bringing out translators etc. on the SIVs. Long overdue.

o

Reaction Score
Comparing apples to oranges; two homogenous countries with little or no real influence on the international endorsement stage versus a multi-ethnic giant.
BTW, I imagine you are glad to see an administration is finally bringing out translators etc. on the SIVs. Long overdue.

o

Ahhh and you missed the point. Try again.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score

I agree with a lot of your posts but are you really trying to make a counter argument by using an obscure sport from a non-mainstream country and an athlete from another obscure country?

I'm not totally sure I get what you're trying to prove with this one.

Reaction Score
The US women's soccer team has put the entire US Olympic team under a cloud. This is why politics do NOT belong in sports.

Reaction Score
I agree with a lot of your posts but are you really trying to make a counter argument by using an obscure sport from a non-mainstream country and an athlete from another obscure country?

I'm not totally sure I get what you're trying to prove with this one.

The point is she’s getting more opportunities because she is an American. She lives a charmed existence. This is a spoiled individual.

Reaction Score
The US women's soccer team has put the entire US Olympic team under a cloud. This is why politics do NOT belong in sports.

And it doesn’t help that NBA players and and the league are a bunch of China lovers. Watching them lose has been fun too.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Be honest, politics you agree with are fine.

Reaction Score
Not during the games. Athletes can promote anything they want. I mean, who really cares about their opinions.

But I must admit hating on the country you're suppose to represent goes in a special category.

Reaction Score
So about the team/sport.... the US could win this game against the Netherlands, but they just aren't the same quality that they were. Not connecting passes, a step slow. But the lack of skill. Lloyd, Rapino, Press, all had opportunities that they just botched. And I still think Morgan just doesn't seem interested if the ball isn't in the penalty area.

EDIT (since I'm still the last post): All these offsides by the US are laziness. The Dutch aren't playing some aggressive trap. The US players are drifting and then not spending energy to get back onside.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They play for the USA and knelt (to protest America being a bunch of racists) during our anthem at the Olympics. They the proceeded to get stomped by Sweden, who stood respectfully for their anthem. So sad that our country is represented by this team.

That is NOT true. The entire team has stood respectfully during the Anthem at all three Olympic games. There was some kneeling much earlier this year, but not recently - including the games in Hartford.

Reaction Score

Yes, that is accurate. Not only did the players from both teams and the referees take a knee just prior to kickoff to show solidarity for racial equality, other Olympic officials did as well. And that was done by all other teams as well, and also by teams in some other sports.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom