US WNT in Soccer Schedule | The Boneyard

US WNT in Soccer Schedule

Reaction Score
The US WNT in soccer has 5 more friendlies before the Olympics at the end of July.

Here's the schedule:

June 10 @ 8:30 PM EDT v. Portugal on FS1

June 13 @10 PM EDT v. Jamaica on FS1

June 16 @ 9 PM EDT v. Nigeria FS1

July 1 @ 7 PM EDT v. Mexico FS1

July 5 @ 5 PM EDT v. Mexico ESPN

None of these opponents should trouble the US, which is far superior to all.

It is worth noting that, while these 5 games will be played, the Olympics itself may not be. Japan is a virus hot spot, there's a shortage of vax and a lag in distribution, and the Japanese do not want the games to go on.

Vote on this: chance of endangering the lives of people v. Big Money Interests. Who wins? Got it in one.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
July 1 and July 5 games are in east hartford at Rentschler Field!!
The US WNT in soccer has 5 more friendlies before the Olympics at the end of July.

Here's the schedule:

It is worth noting that, while these 5 games will be played, the Olympics itself may not be. Japan is a virus hot spot, there's a shortage of vax and a lag in distribution, and the Japanese do not want the games to go on.

Vote on this: chance of endangering the lives of people v. Big Money Interests. Who wins? Got it in one.
That may be your take on the upcoming Olympics but I would bet the athletes see it very differently. Many work for years if not decades preparing for what could be as little as 10 seconds of competition. I doubt they see it as lives vs big money, For them if they feel they are safe win or loose it's there time to shine. Many know it's now or never to realize their deepest dream, competing against the best of the best representing their country and themselves. If the games can be run in a responsible and safe manor who are any of us to take that away from them.
Yes money and a lot of it is on the line, but not from the athletes' perspective. Anyway that's my take for what it's worth.

Reaction Score
The athletes work and train years and years for an opportunity to compete in the Olympics. They have dedicated their lives to that end. They want to compete regardless of the risks in doing so. That’s exactly why their feelings are moot and shouldn’t matter in any decisions regarding the health and safety of the athletes and the thousands of people who work hard to make the event happen.

Reaction Score
That may be your take on the upcoming Olympics but I would bet the athletes see it very differently. Many work for years if not decades preparing for what could be as little as 10 seconds of competition. I doubt they see it as lives vs big money, For them if they feel they are safe win or loose it's there time to shine. Many know it's now or never to realize their deepest dream, competing against the best of the best representing their country and themselves. If the games can be run in a responsible and safe manor who are any of us to take that away from them.
Yes money and a lot of it is on the line, but not from the athletes' perspective. Anyway that's my take for what it's worth.
Not money for the athletes as you say; benefits for the sponsors. But maybe there is no money in the Olympics, just large costs. Anyway, I really don't think you can measure the worth of the Games in dollars or yen. It's great theater. I was just questioning whether it's worth the danger to the participants.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
What Olympics?

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Not money for the athletes as you say; benefits for the sponsors. But maybe there is no money in the Olympics, just large costs. Anyway, I really don't think you can measure the worth of the Games in dollars or yen. It's great theater. I was just questioning whether it's worth the danger to the participants.
It's understandable for those of us in the U.S.A to have a very different view of the Olympics then athletes and fans from most other countries. I stated my case for our athletes on a previous post, this is from the perspective of most other participants. Most participants, not from the power countries have one chance, just one to be on the world scene competing without a tinkers chance of winning a medal, no chance at all. They go into training for years knowing they have no chance to medal, yet they sacrifice almost everything to be on the Worlds biggest stage. Being at the games and competing is their medal, the one shot almost everyone of them may ever have to rub elbows talk to or hang with other Olympians, and be on the world stage.
If, there are proper safety measures, proper testing then who am I or any other bystander to tell the young athletes of the world to stay home.

Reaction Score
A bit off the thread but I enjoyed the games more before the pros were allowed in. I know it put the U.S. at a disadvantage since other countries compensated players (Russian hockey team i.e.) but it was more fun to root for the amateurs and the upsets were a joy to celebrate.

Reaction Score

Here's the schedule:

Thanks. Love this team. Can't the Japanese only allow participants, fans and support personnel who prove "complete vaccination?

Reaction Score
We’ve got our tickets for the 5th; can’t wait to see them play!
It is great to have them back. They are best in big matches. Soon to come. In the meantime, who makes the Olympic team? And I assume Tobin and
Julie ( both re-habbing from injury) have spaces reserved for them.

Reaction Score
It is great to have them back. They are best in big matches. Soon to come. In the meantime, who makes the Olympic team? And I assume Tobin and

I am almost nervous waiting to see who makes the cut. Heath has always been my favorite player to watch but those injuries....

I really hope Macario makes it. She is going to be the go to player for the next few world cups and I cannot wait. I'll be at the July 1 game, should be fun!

Reaction Score
I am almost nervous waiting to see who makes the cut. Heath has always been my favorite player to watch but those injuries....

I really hope Macario makes it. She is going to be the go to player for the next few world cups and I cannot wait. I'll be at the July 1 game, should be fun!
I like her as well. Hopefully, she gets a start against Jamaica. But I'm not sure she has yet been used ( or often enough ) at her best position. Effort of the team against Portugal was pretty meh...

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I hadn't heard Ertz was injured. I see a sprained MCL. It will take quite an injury to keep her out -- she's the toughest soccer player since Michelle Akers.

I love Heath and Press splitting time, love it even more with them both in at the same time; they're such opposites on the pitch. Both great offensive players, but Christen is pure speed and Tobin pure finesse.

Reaction Score
Rapino, Morgan, Heath, Press. Who sits? There’s a problem every coach wishes he/she had.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
I thought Heath was out of contention because of injuries? She hasn't played in months, so I doubt she's in the pool of players. The team is stacked and there are going to be quite a few broken hearts once the roster is announced.

Reaction Score
Heath is training with the team. Heard that she and Ertz will both be ready for the Olympics. If the coach thinks they will be, they make the roster. Purce looked good Sunday. Can play different positions. Versatility important with only 18 on the roster.

Reaction Score
I thought Heath was out of contention because of injuries? She hasn't played in months, so I doubt she's in the pool of players. The team is stacked and there are going to be quite a few broken hearts once the roster is announced.

as mentioned in the other post, Heath has definitely been training with the team for weeks and is a good bet to make the team.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

Here's the schedule:

Looks like the match tonight will be aired on ESPN2 rather than FS1.

Reaction Score
U S 2- Nigeria 0. Christen Press scored first goal with help from ageless Carli Lloyd. Lynn Williams scored very late on a killer ball from Press.

To me, 2-0 did not reflect the dominance of the USWNT but that's soccer. Waiting anxiously to see the release of the Olympic roster...going to be some interesting decisions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom