US U23 roster named for Olympic qualifying prep | Page 3 | The Boneyard

US U23 roster named for Olympic qualifying prep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You have to play big U23 matches during intl breaks because that's the only hope for getting the players you want. Even during intl breaks clubs don't have to honor U23 call ups.

I was not sure if their was any choice on the scheduling of the U23 games or if the only time that they could be played was during this specific international break. So basically, by losing to Honduras, the US U23 team basically shot itself in foot.

Historically, the US does schedule major games in the fall/winter/spring against Central and South American games in places line Columbus (were the Varsity team played) or Denver or any place that may make a warm weather team feel uncomfortable, similar to how Columbia made the US play them in a sauna in March. It did not help that the crowd in Frisco was maybe 50/50 Columbia fans. I hope that the reasoning to play the game in Frisco was because the US coaches were worried that a cold weather venue may throw them off because they had been training in warm weather for the first leg. If it was made for political or financial reasons, not going to be happy.

Reaction Score
ASN article: Tab Ramos Talks Pulisic, Player Pools, and Olympics

Really good interview with Tab Ramos.

I still don't see how national team managers get blasted over "development". Player form and development is largely driven by the club environment. At the end of the day, the long term trend for us has to arrow up. Before we have U-20 teams loaded with college players. Now we have players that are in the systems of some of the most recognizable clubs in the world. But really, it's a tough balance between letting guys compete for minutes with their clubs at a critical time in their careers and contributing to the junior teams.

"Qualifying will be in Costa Rica at the end of February/beginning of March. That's not ideal because we have a difficult enough time getting players from Europe. We’re not going to have Christian Pulisic, Gedion Zelalem, or Cameron Carter-Vickers. Now there’s the added situation that MLS teams start their season around then. One thing MLS teams usually tell me is, “He’s not playing, but since it’s an international break, we need him to stay because he may play.” I don’t know how that is going to work out with this qualifying being so late. We never go to qualifying with our best team because we just can’t, but we need a bigger pool this year more than any other year."

Also, Pulisic is probably not going to be in U-20 mix depending on whether or not he is playing for the senior team. But Paul Pogba played for the France U-20s so you never know.

Zelalem is in a low point at the moment, but not a big deal.

Carter Vickers probably won't play in next U-20 WC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32
Top Bottom