US Open Cup | The Boneyard

US Open Cup

Reaction Score
I did not catch any of the games, but there were a few upsets in the most recent round of the US Open Cup this week (this was the first round involving MLS teams).
FC Cincinnati (mid table in USL) beat Columbus 1-0
Miami FC (top of the NASL) beat Orlando City 3-1
Sacramento Republic FC (lower half of table in USL) beat Real Salt Lake 4-1
Those are the only 3 lower division teams remaining in the tournament.

In the 2 MLS "derby's" Red Bulls beat NYC FC and Seattle beat Portland,

In the round of 16 Cinci hosts Chicago Fire, Miami hosts Atlanta United, and Sacramento is at LA Galaxy

Reaction Score
Here is the best moment of the current round if you didn't see it - Liquor Store Soccer Team Scores First Against D.C. United

Years ago I was in San Francisco on business and read in the paper that a local semi-pro team, the Seals, would be playing the KC Wizards (old MLS name) in an Open Cup game at USF. Despite Preki and Chung playing for KC, the Seals won 2-1. However, the thing I remember best is watching the fog crawl up the hill and when it reached the campus the temperature immediately dropped by about 20 degrees. It was like a scene from a Hitchcock movie.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I was actually there when the Connecticut Wolves beat Tampa Bay in New Britain. We went to see Valderrama but he was feuding with the coach and didn't get in the game until late. The weather was brutal, dark and a constant heavy downpour. I felt bad for the guy. He didn't need that crap.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Earthquakes beat Galaxy 3-2
Sporting KC beats Dallas 3-0 (in a.e.t.)
Miami and Cincy postponed (I guess there were some pretty good storms in FL last night)
Revs vs Red Bulls tonight. (at Foxborough)

Reaction Score
I only learned about this tournament this spring because my son's trainer plays for an NJ team that has supposedly gone far in the past. This year they won their first game and then got beat handily by a team from Rochester.

Are there any club level underdogs still in the tournament?

Reaction Score
I only learned about this tournament this spring because my son's trainer plays for an NJ team that has supposedly gone far in the past. This year they won their first game and then got beat handily by a team from Rochester.

Are there any club level underdogs still in the tournament?

Miami and Cincy are both DII. The gaps get bigger every year so Cinderella stories are pretty infrequent.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Where you been? It's been around since 1913-1914. :eek:

3rd longest running Open Cup.....in the world.

:cool:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom