URI | The Boneyard

URI

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Does anyone know why there is not a yearly game against URI?

sun

Reaction Score
Does anyone know why there is not a yearly game against URI?
Playing URI might lower UConn's strength of schedule.
URI beat Providence by 2 points and lost to Princeton by 2 points.
URI is currently in 1st place in the Atlantic 10 Conference, one game ahead of UMass.
Maybe UConn will play them in the NCAAT if they qualify.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Since next year we are playing 2 fewer conference games, URI may be an option as one of the early games that will allow us to try out lineups without fearing of losing the game. Northeastern was a game this year to help us before we hit the top 25, so I would think that one more would help us, especially with all the options we will have next year. That is of course, if they want to play us.

Jim

Reaction Score
Geno schedules out of conference games with a purpose in mind. Sometimes it is to enable his seniors to play a game near their home town to reward the senior for all of the hard work. Sometimes it is to prepare his team for the NCAA tournament by playing a top ranked team that plays a certain style. And sometimes he schedules games for exposure in recruiting. By playing near a recruit's home he lets the target athlete know her family/friends will still get to see her play even if she travels across the country to play for him.

Unless there is some sort of neighborhood rivalry or he is good buddies with the other coach, the is little upside to play a local team that is not among the top 25 teams in the US.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Playing URI might lower UConn's strength of schedule.
URI beat Providence by 2 points and lost to Princeton by 2 points.
URI is currently in 1st place in the Atlantic 10 Conference, one game ahead of UMass.
Maybe UConn will play them in the NCAAT if they qualify.

Lower than most BE teams?

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Geno schedules out of conference games with a purpose in mind. Sometimes it is to enable his seniors to play a game near their home town to reward the senior for all of the hard work. Sometimes it is to prepare his team for the NCAA tournament by playing a top ranked team that plays a certain style. And sometimes he schedules games for exposure in recruiting. By playing near a recruit's home he lets the target athlete know her family/friends will still get to see her play even if she travels across the country to play for him.

Unless there is some sort of neighborhood rivalry or he is good buddies with the other coach, the is little upside to play a local team that is not among the top 25 teams in the US.
Actually their coach is part of the Debbie Ryan Virginia coaching tree. Wouldn't playing them help New England basketball? He had played recently teams like St Louis, Duquesne, Nevada, Chattanooga.

sun

Reaction Score
Lower than most BE teams?
The fact that we play Big East teams multiple times already lowers our SOS.
If URI is on par with Providence and we already play Providence twice, then maybe URI is not a desirable team for UConn to play out of conference games against on an annual basis.
URI could be a team to play once if there were a mutual desire.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
St louis Napheesa’s home coming game
Dusquene in the tournament
Chattanooga played 2 times in 15-16 I guess part of normal schedule

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Actually their coach is part of the Debbie Ryan Virginia coaching tree. Wouldn't playing them help New England basketball? He had played recently teams like St Louis, Duquesne, Nevada, Chattanooga.
St. Louis was for Pheesa's homecoming game
Duquesne was in Canada and was Kia's homecoming game
Nevada was Gabby's homecoming game
I believe that Chattanooga was for Crystal's homecoming game.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
If URI is on par with Providence and we already play Providence twice, then maybe URI is not a desirable team for UConn to play out of conference games against on an annual basis.
Very possible 2 A10 teams make the tournament, not counting UConn might be the same as the BE. URI and U Mass have higher Net rankings than even DePaul. The Ryan Center has even hosted a NCAA regional nice venue.

Reaction Score
What's the big deal. I found that Amoxicillan works very well.

uhm, that's URI Emily. Not UTI.

Oh well, . . .

1675801253924.png

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
While Tammi Reese has done great things at Rhody in her 4 years there, they are not UConn game material. She's trying to become the #3 ranked New England school behind UConn and BC, which I would argue she already has. She has also upped the attendance from 429 before she arrived to 1307 this year. She also just signed a 10 year contract for $4million last March. The good news for us Rhody fans is she has a great facility in the Ryan Center and the support of the AD. That said, she still has a long way to go to contend with any of the P5 schools but now that Shauna Green is at Illinois, URI seems to have supplanted Dayton as the pre-eminent A10 Team!

Reaction Score
Many decades ago, URI was a major rival in men's basketball.

A URI/UConn game was one of the first I attended at the old field house. I knew how much UConn fans disliked URI and was surprised when the fans started a loud chant with

"U...R...I,..U...R...I" but the mystery was solved with the end of the chant-

"URINE..SSSSSSS"

Reaction Score
Does the Big East need more teams in the conference so games are only scheduled once per year their peers like the SEC?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Does the Big East need more teams in the conference so games are only scheduled once per year their peers like the SEC?
Next year the Big East is going to 18 games so there will be two teams that will play UConn only once. That will give them a chance to schedule 2 non conference teams, I would like one of them to be USF.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom