URI vs UConn | The Boneyard

URI vs UConn

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Met the URI AD at dinner last night.

Asked him about ever playing UConn and if he has tried to set something up whether a home and home, neutral site at the Dunk,etc. He basically said he has tried and was willing to accept pretty much anything but that UConn wouldn't even talk to him. Found that to be really disappointing.

On a side note the guy is from East Lyme and a really nice guy (bought me and my family a round of drinks despite us all being decked out in UConn gear as we were on the way back from gampel yesterday).

Reaction Score
That's very surprising. Can't imagine why we wouldn't consider URI over a buy game with no regional importance like North Florida

Reaction Score
That's too bad I would love to see URI on the schedule, Hurley has them in a nice place right now. Would like to know why?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Lose lose game for us really. Even though URI is up and us down

Reaction Score
I hate this sentiment and always have, dating back to the UConn/Umass "rivalry". Any time some middling team within a couple hundred miles has a nice recruiting class or goes on a little run, it's "why hasn't UConn scheduled them?!"

I sorta follow URI dating back to the Kenny Green/Tom Garrick team and I don't know why we'd go out of our way to schedule something with them. And, speaking of UMass, look at what happened there? They couldn't sell a ticket on their end and the games were a bust. We schedule URI and you get a busload of drunk URI students tucked up into the top quarter of Section 219. Big whoop.

JonnyRI

Reaction Score
I hate this sentiment and always have, dating back to the UConn/Umass "rivalry". Any time some middling team within a couple hundred miles has a nice recruiting class or goes on a little run, it's "why hasn't UConn scheduled them?!"

I sorta follow URI dating back to the Kenny Green/Tom Garrick team and I don't know why we'd go out of our way to schedule something with them. And, speaking of UMass, look at what happened there? They couldn't sell a ticket on their end and the games were a bust. We schedule URI and you get a busload of drunk URI students tucked up into the top quarter of Section 219. Big whoop.
It wouldn't be nice to play them at the Dunk and fill it with 75 percent uconn fans? Beats playing Maine.

Reaction Score
They just don't work with the scheduling philosophy. UConn schedules 2 or 3 big name schools and then a bunch of cupcakes. URI falls somewhere in between.

Reaction Score
I wish we had a local D1 team we could pounce on or at least create some friction. Competition aside, our schedule has no drama.

UMass, URI, BC or Providence would be fine with me. After all we are a New England school and if we are the best and most popular then give other nearby schools a chance to get a beat down by the best New England has to offer.

Just saying our players could use a mental test (i.e. rivalry type) once a year. Be good for the students as well.

Reaction Score
It wouldn't be nice to play them at the Dunk and fill it with 75 percent uconn fans? Beats playing Maine.

First off, we wouldn't fill it with 75% UConn fans. We'd send a handful of bus trips there and there'd be a smattering of folks who'd get there on their own strewn about. And, in every section, there'd be some 50-something drunk that takes it upon himself to be "Big Red" for the day. After the 27th time he did the U-C-O-N-N, you'd be begging him to shut up and sit down. Trust me. Your vision of the day would be far less exciting than you imagine it would be.

Reaction Score
I think anytime you have an opportunity to schedule a likely RPI top 100-150 team while in this conference rather than 200+ teams you take it. Especially if it is nearby.

Reaction Score
Unless there is a long tradition of games, such as the Big 5 in Philly, the top team in a region usually tries to avoid playing the teams right behind them. Georgetown didn't play GW in the 90s, even though GW was pretty strong under Jarvis. Heck, they didn't even look to schedule Maryland, a fairly major power in their own back yard. Schools do see those games as lose-lose. A game vs a fairly strong team that sees it as their Super Bowl. Xavier used the Crosstown Shootout to build up their program in the eyes of people in Cincy. Now the programs are viewed as equals. Why would UConn want that to happen. URI being competitive with UConn helps URI more than it helps UConn. Same thing with PC. UConn is a better program than both, but UConn will take some losses if they play those games home and away.

Reaction Score
I think anytime you have an opportunity to schedule a likely RPI top 100-150 team while in this conference rather than 200+ teams you take it. Especially if it is nearby.
I agree. Also, If we played URI at Gampel, I guarantee there would be more people than the game vs North Florida.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
I wish we had a local D1 team we could pounce on or at least create some friction. Competition aside, our schedule has no drama.

UMass, URI, BC or Providence would be fine with me. After all we are a New England school and if we are the best and most popular then give other nearby schools a chance to get a beat down by the best New England has to offer.

Just saying our players could use a mental test (i.e. rivalry type) once a year. Be good for the students as well.

Didn't we get tested this season by Wagner, Northeastern and BU- three regional schools scheduled as tuneup games only to lose two of three (and only narrowly beat the third)?

You also have Fairfield, Quinnipiac, Hartford and Sacred Heart- four D1 teams right here in our state. Funny (or maybe no so funny) thing is this year none of those games would have been considered an automatic W.

A question would be which local/regional team(s) other than UConn have the largest fan base? I don't believe any others come close.

Last edited:

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
They just don't work with the scheduling philosophy. UConn schedules 2 or 3 big name schools and then a bunch of cupcakes. URI falls somewhere in between.

We didn't seem to have much of an appetite for cupcakes this year- hope we get our sweet tooth back next season. ;-)

Reaction Score
Unless there is a long tradition of games, such as the Big 5 in Philly, the top team in a region usually tries to avoid playing the teams right behind them. Georgetown didn't play GW in the 90s, even though GW was pretty strong under Jarvis. Heck, they didn't even look to schedule Maryland, a fairly major power in their own back yard. Schools do see those games as lose-lose. A game vs a fairly strong team that sees it as their Super Bowl. Xavier used the Crosstown Shootout to build up their program in the eyes of people in Cincy. Now the programs are viewed as equals. Why would UConn want that to happen. URI being competitive with UConn helps URI more than it helps UConn. Same thing with PC. UConn is a better program than both, but UConn will take some losses if they play those games home and away.
Or they can be Win Win...UNC-Duke etc.

JonnyRI

Reaction Score
You can't build a rivalry if you never play someone. I am just tired of so many terrible home games, the schedule at gampel the last few years has been painful to be a season ticket holder for.

Reaction Score
We don't play them because America is the worst. I'm enjoying Hockey East while I can.

This would have been worthwhile for the sole reason of making Providence fans crazy, and second, it would have been way better than Auburn in every way imaginable.

JonnyRI

Reaction Score
We don't play them because America is the worst. I'm enjoying Hockey East while I can.

This would have been worthwhile for the sole reason of making Providence fans crazy, and second, it would have been way better than Auburn in every way imaginable.
I can't imagine a single person excited to play auburn.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
This game would be exciting for the UConn student who can use it as an excuse to Facebook message the cute girl he went to high school with who goes to URI.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
If we ever play them, the game will be known as the Eaves-Hazelton Classic.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Actually it doesn't by a long shot.

Reaction Score
I believe UConn will be getting a home/home series with Providence very soon. Especially if the transition to the BE doesn't happen soon. I would welcome URI or any other BE schools.

Reaction Score
I'd love to see a URI-UConn series, and I've thought of a way that I think it could work for all parties. I think having it at Mohegan Sun every year with half and half seating is the optimal situation.

It's almost exactly half way between the two schools. Having it held there every year with half and half seating ensures a lively crowd every year and makes it instantly marketable to television outlets.

For URI: You're never getting UConn into the Ryan Center, so this is the next best thing. You get the rub from playing UConn, returning a regional rival to your schedule. Gives a game each year in southeastern Connecticut where we have a fan base, and hopefully the chance to add new fans who live relatively close to the Ryan Center. Makes it more likely people will donate and/or buy season tickets so they can have first crack at our allotment of tickets for the game.

For Mohegan: It gives you another event to market where you have around 10,000 people coming into your arena and looking to spend money before and after. Don't see where this game wouldn't sell out every year. $$$$$

For UConn: You return your most played, potential rival to your schedule. The game doesn't really hurt you. If URI is good enough to beat you then either you're having a down year like this year where your RPI doesn't matter or we're both having an up year and our RPI will help you. If we're bad, we're not going to be any worse then the other regional programs you're already playing. It's a neutral site game, which helps the resume. It gives UConn a game to market to their fans in southeastern Connecticut. Most important, Mohegan can kick in the difference between what UConn would make from their ticket allotment and what they'd make from a normal home game, so you don't lose any revenue and Mohegan still makes money even with the kickback to UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom