Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
oh what a rush.jpg

Please let's not forget the LEGION OF DOOM

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Great responses! Here are a few Blasts from the Past.............................................
0626_junkyard_dog_full.jpg

honky.jpg

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Gold Dust... Mr Perfect, Superstar Billy Graham

Reaction Score
They were mentioned on page 1, but I'll also go with the Von Erich brothers:

vonerichs.jpg

While they and WCCW had their heyday in the 80s, their story did not end well. Out of 5 brothers who went into pro wrestling, only 1 lived past 1993.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
kurt-angle-6562.jpg
I always loved the Undertaker, and I remember being horrified the first time I saw him. If I remember correctly, he debuted in Hartford at Survivor Series in the late 80s, so I guess I have some sort of strange hometown team bias for him. No one has mentioned Kurt Angle, but I was a big fan of his until I stopped watching around 2004. I think I liked him more than anyone else because he was successful at real wrestling beforehand (gold medals) and was able to translate that skill into real, visible entertainment so I felt like all of his matches had some legitimacy (as a sport) to them.

Met Kurt in Spokane airport
while we were waiting for our luggage. A real pleasant guy to talk with. Very polite and outgoing.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
beefcake.jpg

I was never into wrestling. I always knew there was no Santa Claus, if you will, and my dad got (forced) me into watching boxing (which I still enjoy). That said, I wasn't totally ignorant. As a young kid, Ricky Steamboat and Superfly Jimmy Snuka (both pictured in one post above -- the poster must be my age) were the popular wrestlers on the playground. Then, of course, Hulk Hogan took over. (I know nobody wants to be too "mainstream" but give me a break: nobody here was a Hulkster fan?) By the time the WCW rolled around, I had no interest in wrestling (not that I ever had that much to begin with). But when I was a kid, I'd "wrestle" (tackle) my younger sister and to annoy her, I'd tell her I was Hulk Hogan and she was Brutus "The Barber" Beefcake (pictured), who to me was the the poster boy for total ridiculousness. He's wearing a bowtie without a shirt, for chrissakes.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Thanks for the pic of Abdullah. I had almost forgotten his terrifying saggy man ...

I was never actually scared of wrestling....but I did have nightmares of suffocating in Abdullah's big fat sweaty armpits.

10.jpg

479027-abdullah_the_butcher.jpg

An amusing aside: in attempting to find an appropriate pic of said sweaty armpits, I googled Abdullah the Butcher and received a few links to Paula Abdul. Appropriate indeed.

Reaction Score
The Graham Brothers
The Bastein Brothers
Arnold " the originalgolden boy" Scoland
Haystacks Calhoun
Happy Humphrey
TheShiek

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Probably the two Best Showman/Talkers
72f2daa7c1323f46i3.jpg

machoman.jpg

Reaction Score

I still want to know whose idea it was to ask Chyna to pose in playboy. Look at her! She's got more muscle and could kick the crap out of 85% of men who ever existed! Hmmmm...Yes I'm very turned on by that, please have her remove her clothing.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I liked Backlund because he really could wrestle but hard not to like this guy:

thumbnail.aspx

But my favorites were the tag team of :

thumbnail.aspx

Tony Garea and Dean Ho

There's a great Biography or History Channel show on the life of Andre. It's pretty funny. They interview his brother and other people from France where he grew and many wrestlers.

Bottom line? Every story no matter how bizarre is pretty much true. He could literally drink a case a liquor a night in the bars. No one can verify some of the stories because he drank everyone under the table. His eating stories are equally urban legends.

His strength while he performed in the 70's and early 80's was legendary. Guys like Bruno, Gorilla and Sgt Slaughter said he could lift or move whatever object was in front of him. Wasn't much of a weightlifter, but he was so much stronger than anyone.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
There's a great Biography or History Channel show on the life of Andre. It's pretty funny. They interview his brother and other people from France where he grew and many wrestlers.

Bottom line? Every story no matter how bizarre is pretty much true. He could literally drink a case a liquor a night in the bars. No one can verify some of the stories because he drank everyone under the table. His eating stories are equally urban legends.

His strength while he performed in the 70's and early 80's was legendary. Guys like Bruno, Gorilla and Sgt Slaughter said he could lift or move whatever object was in front of him. Wasn't much of a weightlifter, but he was so much stronger than anyone.

Didn't ABC's Wide World of Sports televise Andre matches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom