intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
No Bam Bam fans here....

FLO_1_td17bam1_227751_1117.jpg

Reaction Score
I was always a fan of rey mysterio...loved watching all his acrobatic stuff

Reaction Score
I can see that most of these posters are younger than me based on their choices. I would say Jimmy Snuka (when I was little I used to put pillows on my living room floor and jump off the top of the coach like him until my Mom caught me and put an end to that) and Tito Santana were two of my favorites and my favorite bad guy was Kamala. That guy was terrifying. Anyone remember him? He was like 6' 10" and 400 lbs and he came out to drums and in the character of a headhunter. I still remember the first appearance he made.
I also liked any wrestler who used the sleeper hold or claw as their finishing move.

I lost interest in wrestling in my very early teens when I went to a couple of local shows and sat in the front and saw them assembling the stage with the shock absorbers underneath to make the sound when someone got slammed and hearing the guys whisper to to their opponents things like 'Ok, I'm going to whip you into the ropes and you drop kick me." Before that I pretty much thought it was real. I still respect the guys that do it because it is dangerous and they are great performers.

I have replaced fake wrestling and boxing with MMA for my combat sport enjoyment.

Who, Kamala, aka the Uganda Giant?? I have his figure:
12831185246732063785390.jpg

The guy who scared me the most was Abdullah the Butcher. I think he was NWA or AWA, but even though I mostly watched WWF, I saw him once covered in blood and I thought he was like some grotesque, bloodthirsty psycho!

Catch a load of this guy:

imagesCA2YGT7N.jpg

Reaction Score
I can see that most of these posters are younger than me based on their choices. I would say Jimmy Snuka (when I was little I used to put pillows on my living room floor and jump off the top of the coach like him until my Mom caught me and put an end to that) and Tito Santana were two of my favorites and my favorite bad guy was Kamala. That guy was terrifying. Anyone remember him? He was like 6' 10" and 400 lbs and he came out to drums and in the character of a headhunter. I still remember the first appearance he made.

I also liked any wrestler who used the sleeper hold or claw as their finishing move.

I lost interest in wrestling in my very early teens when I went to a couple of local shows and sat in the front and saw them assembling the stage with the shock absorbers underneath to make the sound when someone got slammed and hearing the guys whisper to to their opponents things like 'Ok, I'm going to whip you into the ropes and you drop kick me." Before that I pretty much thought it was real. I still respect the guys that do it because it is dangerous and they are great performers.

I have replaced fake wrestling and boxing with MMA for my combat sport enjoyment.
Seargent Slaughter and the Cobra Clutch. We used to try on each other and it did work.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Razor freaking Ramon!

images

The best heel from the late 80s/early 90s:

tumblr_lliz19C4Sa1qe8yls.jpg

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
And who posted a pic of the Four Horsemen from the 1990s??? For the love of God, it's Flair, Arn Anderson, Ole Anderson, and Tully Blanchard:

Four_Horsemen_04.jpg

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
And one contemporary guy who is legitimately badass:

2565985400096156479DgWOrb_ph.jpg

Reaction Score
Prince alberts brother lived in hilltop around 1998 or so........ Saw him on campus once

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Also was in the surprisingly awesome movie, They Live.

"I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum. And I'm all out of bubble gum."

Reaction Score
kurt-angle-6562.jpg
I always loved the Undertaker, and I remember being horrified the first time I saw him. If I remember correctly, he debuted in Hartford at Survivor Series in the late 80s, so I guess I have some sort of strange hometown team bias for him. No one has mentioned Kurt Angle, but I was a big fan of his until I stopped watching around 2004. I think I liked him more than anyone else because he was successful at real wrestling beforehand (gold medals) and was able to translate that skill into real, visible entertainment so I felt like all of his matches had some legitimacy (as a sport) to them.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Thanks for the pic of Abdullah. I had almost forgotten his terrifying saggy man ...
Who, Kamala, aka the Uganda Giant?? I have his figure:
View attachment 91

The guy who scared me the most was Abdullah the Butcher. I think he was NWA or AWA, but even though I mostly watched WWF, I saw him once covered in blood and I thought he was like some grotesque, bloodthirsty psycho!

Catch a load of this guy:

View attachment 92

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I worked in a sporting goods store in Ridgefield when I was in high school in the late '80's when Sergeant Slaughter came in with his young daughter looking for cleats for her for soccer or lacrosse. I think he lived in the area. He was at the top of his popularity at the time so I was a little star struck. All I remember saying was "Hey, I know you," and shaking his hand. He was very nice but nearly broke my hand when he shook it. The guy was like 6' 6" and 325 lbs. and his hands were as big as my head (seriously). The funniest part was he had just come from golfing and was wearing a beret and those half pants golfers wear. Picture Sergeant Slaughter in a green beret and plaid golfer pants instead of the Marine Corp. Drill instructor hat. Of course, our store sucked so we didn't have the right size cleats so we didn't make a sale.
Seargent Slaughter and the Cobra Clutch. We used to try on each other and it did work.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
who was the wrestler that laid the opponent against the turnbuckle... smacked each cheek of his ass and then smashed it against dude's face and rubbed it in.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Didn't Adrian Adonis do that at the really fat stage of his career? I know exactly what you're talking about but I can't say with certainty.
who was the wrestler that laid the opponent against the turnbuckle... smacked each cheek of his ass and then smashed it against dude's face and rubbed it in.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
This guy's act always made me laugh and I still enter rooms and go "Helloooooo, ladies!!"

val-venis.jpg

Val Venis

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Showing my age, but, loved Bob Backlund because I looked like him. Which is kind of embarrasssing now that I think of it.

I liked Backlund because he really could wrestle but hard not to like this guy:

thumbnail.aspx

But my favorites were the tag team of :

thumbnail.aspx

Tony Garea and Dean Ho

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
His wife was my High School Gym Teacher...
my son used to get his hair cut (and I did as well a few times) here:

thumbnail.aspx

You may recognize him more easily from this picture
thumbnail.aspx

I believe he's a high school math teacher now. If you are in
the area stop by. They are nice people and do an good job.

Tito Santana's

Reaction Score
I liked Backlund because he really could wrestle but hard not to like this guy:

thumbnail.aspx

But my favorites were the tag team of :

thumbnail.aspx

Tony Garea and Dean Ho

Isn't that Rick Martel with Garea? I ask because my first memory of pro wrestling on TV was a clip of a match where Garea and Martel beat the Moondogs (managed by Lou Albano) for the tag titles. That set off a couple decades worth of wrestling viewing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom