Reaction Score
Can't forget
Steele.jpg

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Really dating me but it was Antonino Rocca,
AntoninoRocca.jpg

His was the first autograph I ever got when he appeared in Ansonia back in the day

Reaction Score
Can't forget
Steele.jpg
Awesome thing about George is that he was a school principal during the day.
My buddy would work out at a gym in north NJ with Seargeant Slaughter and Pedro Morales and they would tell him what to expect from there matches coming up. Good stuff.

Reaction Score
gangrel1.jpg

gangrel had a sick entrance and a cool ddt.. to bad they didnt know wtf to do with him...

images

Al Snow was great in ECW.. I remember going to the STING in NB and watching this guy act nuts.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Seargeant Slaughter and Pedro Morales...would tell him what to expect from there matches coming up. Good stuff.

I went to see Ivan Putski and Jesse "The Body" wrestle on "Polish Night". I kinda knew what to expect.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i was actually a big fan of Sumo so... Konishiki, the American Sumo wrestler from Hawaii, went on to achieve great things, but was never made Yokozuna due to politics. if he had been a native born Japanese, he would have been given the grand champion honor IMHO.

000003f4_medium.jpeg

Reaction Score
Remember those hillbilly wrestlers? Macho Man ruled.

Hillbilly Jim, Uncle Elmer, Cousin Luke!

Konishiki is indeed the man- and I agree about his being snubbed for Yokozuna because of not being Japanese. Of course, the first non Japanese Yokozuna is none other than the Bono (under my name!)- my favorite rikishi of all time.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Hillbilly Jim, Uncle Elmer, Cousin Luke!

Konishiki is indeed the man- and I agree about his being snubbed for Yokozuna because of not being Japanese. Of course, the first non Japanese Yokozuna is none other than the Bono (under my name!)- my favorite rikishi of all time.
Akebono? he and Konishiki were the 2 americans from hawaii. liked them both a lot. good call on that and great picture in your avatar!!

Reaction Score
Remember George the Animal Steele? He had a green tongue and used to eat the stuffing from the corner padding.

george2_crop_340x234.jpg

Reaction Score
I used to HATE the iron sheik because of the issues we had with Iran and the hostages. I used to love seeing him get beat.

who-is-the-iron-sheik.jpg

Reaction Score
I used to HATE the iron sheik because of the issues we had with Iran and the hostages. I used to love seeing him get beat.

who-is-the-iron-sheik.jpg

When he tag teamed with Nikolai Volkoff and used to grab the mic and say "Iran #1. Russia #1. USA *pffft*". That was hilarious.

Reaction Score
Rocco and Haystack were great. I also liked Andre the Giant. I was in that hotel bar (Hilton?) on the west side of Greenwich, ST (on Rt 1) one day after work in the early 80s. Anfre was there. A fan was pestering him for an autograph. Andre turned to him with a very authoritative ' off', and that was the end of that. Pretty cool.

Reaction Score
Bret Hart, Ultimate Warrior, Rowdy Roddy Piper...all greats.

In NWA/WCW I really enjoyed the four horsemen, the Midnight Express, and Sting.

I used to love coming home from school when ESPN would air USWA or AWA matches at 4:00.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
adonis_1.jpg

I loved this guy. Adrian Adonis. A true bad ass.

Then WWF jumped the shark and turned him into a flaming named Adorable Adrian. :mad:

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I can see that most of these posters are younger than me based on their choices. I would say Jimmy Snuka (when I was little I used to put pillows on my living room floor and jump off the top of the coach like him until my Mom caught me and put an end to that) and Tito Santana were two of my favorites and my favorite bad guy was Kamala. That guy was terrifying. Anyone remember him? He was like 6' 10" and 400 lbs and he came out to drums and in the character of a headhunter. I still remember the first appearance he made.

I also liked any wrestler who used the sleeper hold or claw as their finishing move.

I lost interest in wrestling in my very early teens when I went to a couple of local shows and sat in the front and saw them assembling the stage with the shock absorbers underneath to make the sound when someone got slammed and hearing the guys whisper to to their opponents things like 'Ok, I'm going to whip you into the ropes and you drop kick me." Before that I pretty much thought it was real. I still respect the guys that do it because it is dangerous and they are great performers.

I have replaced fake wrestling and boxing with MMA for my combat sport enjoyment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom