Upset predictions: Which #5 seed will be upset in the 1st round? | The Boneyard

Upset predictions: Which #5 seed will be upset in the 1st round?

Which #5 seed(s) do you think will lose their 1st-round game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Multiple picks are allowed, but obviously, if you select "None" then that's your only answer :)

Reaction Score
I admit that I voted based on what I see as the best chances for 5s to be upset vs anything I'd call more likely to happen than not.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Voted UCF to advance our conference (Hoping Ekmark has a great game) and what I saw from Rice, I really liked.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I think there are >1/3rd odds that each of Marquette, ASU, and Gonzaga could be upset. Gonzaga's injuries are really going to hurt them, ASU is basically playing an away game against an even-more-physical defense, and Marquette seems to have lost its mojo at just the wrong time, have lost three games to sub-70 RPI teams in the last few weeks, and will be playing essentially an away game in College Station - it's less than two hours from Rice to College Station.

That said, I think the biggest first-round "upset" possibility is Tennessee over UCLA, because both teams are more talented than they are well coached, which means that the "hot" team of the day will win, and I think it's close to 50/50 which team that will be, and UCLA is in finals this week, so they're not going to be quite as mentally fresh as the Lady Vols will likely be.

Reaction Score
Arizona State is a tossup. I’ve seen them and thought “Wow! They look really good.” and other games thought “How is this a top 25 team?”

Reaction Score
I just don't see Tennessee beating UCLA. It could be close (no pun intended), but Tennessee just makes so many mental errors when the going gets tough, and, I haven't seen UCLA exhibit that behavior this season.

Reaction Score
I just don't see Tennessee beating UCLA. It could be close (no pun intended), but Tennessee just makes so many mental errors when the going gets tough, and, I haven't seen UCLA exhibit that behavior this season.
I agree. Even when Tennessee got off to a hot start shooting in the SEC Tourney vs. Mississippi State, they just made way too many mistakes to have a shot at winning. This may be the most talent in a 6-11 game in terms of high school rankings. Lots of 5-stars.

I personally don’t think the PG position is the best way to utilize Evina Westbrook’s skill set. I guess Holly really can’t do much there given she likely expected Anastasia Hayes to take over there this season.

UCLA is just so athletic down low with Onyenwere and Drummer. They do give up some size at just 6’0” and 6’1”, but make up for it with athleticism. Burke can be really tough to stop too. I think it should be a good matchup, but UCLA’s athleticism will prevail unless Tennessee can make shots and make better decisions, neither of which they have consistently done this season.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Tennessee is scary to me. Way more talented than an 11 seed should be. If they could ever get out of their own way and get somewhat close to playing up to their potential they could certainly pull an upset or two. I do like UCLA so I certainly hope they take care of business and mercifully bring the Vols season to and end.

Reaction Score
Does turmoil elsewhere in the same athletics dept affect a team? Wondering because UCLA women’s soccer is now part of the admissions scandal.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
It’s gonna be tough for Gonzaga without their PG and spark plug off the bench who was also a great scorer for them. Little Rock has post season experience and i think they can get it done.

UCF and ASU will be the 1st to 50. I think ASU wins simply because they have better offense. Both defenses are tough.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
That said, I think the biggest first-round "upset" possibility is Tennessee over UCLA, because both teams are more talented than they are well coached, which means that the "hot" team of the day will win, and I think it's close to 50/50 which team that will be, and UCLA is in finals this week, so they're not going to be quite as mentally fresh as the Lady Vols will likely be.
I guess I haven’t seen UCLA enough as you are like the 3 poster on the BY who has made the same comment about Close no being a strong coach. In the handful of games I have seen over the last 3 years, she seems more capable than Holly or Karen Aston or even Cori’s predecessor Nikki. I will get a first hand look on Sat as I a man going to College Station for those games but what are the glaring transgressions that she’s shown?

Reaction Score
I guess I haven’t seen UCLA enough as you are like the 3 poster on the BY who has made the same comment about Close no being a strong coach. In the handful of games I have seen over the last 3 years, she seems more capable than Holly or Karen Aston or even Cori’s predecessor Nikki. I will get a first hand look on Sat as I a man going to College Station for those games but what are the glaring transgressions that she’s shown?
Hope you’re going to College Park! And if you’re really coming here to College Station the games are Friday-Sunday :)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I've been critical of Coach Close before, but I was impressed with how they bounced back from a slow start to the season. Went 7-2 on the road in the Pac 12. While they still had talent on the roster this year they definitely lost the heart and soul of their teams from the previous 3 years in Canada and Billings.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Hope you’re going to College Park! And if you’re really coming here to College Station the games are Friday-Sunday :)

DefenseBB, and if you're going to College Station, you can make your way to Waco for the Saturday-Monday games. ;)

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
During the Louisville game Beth Mowins made an interesting comment. For the women's tournament more upsets happen with the 6/11 seeds than the 5/12.

Im sure that gives Tennessee some hope. I still think UCLA destroys them however.

Reaction Score
I think there are >1/3rd odds that each of Marquette, ASU, and Gonzaga could be upset. Gonzaga's injuries are really going to hurt them, ASU is basically playing an away game against an even-more-physical defense, and Marquette seems to have lost its mojo at just the wrong time, have lost three games to sub-70 RPI teams in the last few weeks, and will be playing essentially an away game in College Station - it's less than two hours from Rice to College Station.

Interesting. I see UCLA as a team that's going to make a deep run. It'll be interesting if they indeed face UConn. They have a tremendous point guard in Dean and this is a team that really can rebound the ball well. While they're not a great 3-point shooting team all other elements with their offense present challenges particularly for our Huskies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
During the Louisville game Beth Mowins made an interesting comment. For the women's tournament more upsets happen with the 6/11 seeds than the 5/12.

Im sure that gives Tennessee some hope. I still think UCLA destroys them however.

UCLA should win for sure but the wild card is that cross country travel and early start time. The committee did UCLA no favors with the location and scheduling.

UCLA finished the season 11-3 including two wins over Arizona State and wins over Oregon and Cal. Their last two losses were a 3-point loss at Oregon State and an OT loss to Oregon. Their level of play has clearly been above Tennessee’s for the past 8 weeks.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
well Rice and Bucknell put up good fights. We will see about Little Rock later

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member