Upset Alert! Buffalo leads Kentucky! | The Boneyard

Upset Alert! Buffalo leads Kentucky!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
21-20. Just figured I would be the first one to jinx one of these this year.

Just laughing at Buffalo's jerseys that say New York across the front with Buffalo real small underneath.

Reaction Score
I feel like Marcus Lee could be a monster if he was utilized more. His athleticism and the way he played in the semis last year. Towns looks like a David West type player but I'm not sure if he'll be a superstar as a freshman. Looks like UK has some shooters. Buffalo looks to be playing well but wouldn't expect them to amount to much.

Wow what a dunk by Buffalo! Moss!.

Reaction Score
There are HUGE plans for UBuffalo (and I use the HUGE purposely).

They have a document that states they want to double in size. They are aggressive ... in a region that is the post-war disheveled manufacturing. Ambitious. That's why, I think, the Jeff Quinn firing happened in football. That AD is just following the University's desire. And, frankly, it is a shot at SU ... in the longer run. A State U. that wants to grow up.

Reaction Score
uconnisgood said:
I feel like Marcus Lee could be a monster if he was utilized more. His athleticism and the way he played in the semis last year. Towns looks like a David West type player but I'm not sure if he'll be a superstar as a freshman. Looks like UK has some shooters. Buffalo looks to be playing well but wouldn't expect them to amount to much. Wow what a dunk by Buffalo! Moss!.

How the hell that wasn't a foul on Cauley-Stein on top of the dunk, I don't understand. He clobbered Moss. That's a huge disconnect in hoops officiating. You graze a three-point shooter on your landing and it's a foul, but you can cripple a guy after a layup or dunk and they swallow the whistles.

Either way, that was a nice facial you'll see later if there aren't 10 spectacular NFL plays today.

Reaction Score

They have a document that states they want to double in size. They are aggressive ... in a region that is the post-war disheveled manufacturing. Ambitious. That's why, I think, the Jeff Quinn firing happened in football. That AD is just following the University's desire. And, frankly, it is a shot at SU ... in the longer run. A State U. that wants to grow up.

Or, the Pres. is following the AD's desire.

Reaction Score
it would be nice if buffalo can hang around for a while longer, just to make the nba team team look bad

Reaction Score
it would be nice if buffalo can hang around for a while longer, just to make the nba team team look bad

I want to see Calipari break away from his "rotation" in a panic in the second half.

If it's close in the last 7 or 8 minutes, we are going to see Ulis v. Harrison.

Reaction Score
Buffalo by five at the half. I suspect eventually talent will win out, and expect UK to win by 15 or so. And this is by no means a sign that UK won't put it together as the year goes on.

However, there's a big flaw in their platoon system. The Harrisons are not good defenders. Ulis does a pretty good job with ball pressure, but then the Harrisons come in and just stay a step or two off their man, since they aren't athletic enough to harass smaller guards, so UK isn't really wearing anybody down. The whole point of using that type of system would be to force the other team to deal with intense pressure the whole way through, but instead, all they are doing is rotating their own hot hands off the floor and nobody can get in a rhythm.

Buffalo has hit a couple of tough shots, but it isn't like they had a miracle half of perfect basketball.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Buffalo by five at the half. I suspect eventually talent will win out, and expect UK to win by 15 or so. And this is by no means a sign that UK won't put it together as the year goes on.

However, there's a big flaw in their platoon system. The Harrisons are not good defenders. Ulis does a pretty good job with ball pressure, but then the Harrisons come in and just stay a step or two off their man, since they aren't athletic enough to harass smaller guards, so UK isn't really wearing anybody down. The whole point of using that type of system would be to force the other team to deal with intense pressure the whole way through, but instead, all they are doing is rotating their own hot hands off the floor and nobody can get in a rhythm.

Buffalo has hit a couple of tough shots, but it isn't like they had a miracle half of perfect basketball.
Don't take away my hope!!;)

Reaction Score
I want to see Calipari break away from his "rotation" in a panic in the second half.

If it's close in the last 7 or 8 minutes, we are going to see Ulis v. Harrison.
Any recruit who believed that, well I've got a bridge to sell them. When it comes to winning or keeping his recruiting word, we'll see if the best five aren't taking the majority of the minutes.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Perfect example of why people need to relax about recruiting stuff. Being able to get top talent is just one part of putting together a great team.
  • Cal is a GREAT recruiter - probably the best since Wooden.
  • Cal is a mediocre-to-poor in-game coach
  • Cal is an awful developer of talent - the Harrisons, WCS, Poythress, Johnson & Lee have all seen their stock fall since going to Lexington
Getting the type of talent UK lands gives a huge margin for error, and they'll almost always be a tournament factor because of it. But "talent" alone isn't enough (save for a once-in-a-generation player like Davis), as both Calhoun & KO have shown.

Reaction Score

I dunno ... 14 by Skeete (a 5 to 7ppg scorer in the past) in one half is a little miraculous.

Reaction Score
Biggest question I have is what Jeff Goodman thinks of Kentucky being down at the half to Buffalo. Does he change his national championship prediction?

Reaction Score
Two five-man units, eh???
Yeah, I was wondering how the line changes are working out for Kentucky. Anyone watching the game? Is Cal sticking to that plan?

Reaction Score
DogMania said:
Yeah, I was wondering how the line changes are working out for Kentucky. Anyone watching the game? Is Cal sticking to that plan?

Mostly stuck to it, other than one of the guys getting 3 fouls. Second unit started the second half (Ulis-Booker-Lyles-Lee-Johnson) and ratcheted up the press and knocked down a couple threes, so UK looks on their way to righting the ship, up 4 already with a 9-0 run.

Reaction Score
Pudge said:
I dunno ... 14 by Skeete (a 5 to 7ppg scorer in the past) in one half is a little miraculous.

Skeete, skeete, skeetin all over 'em

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

They are angling us out of a spot in the Big 10. I'm not kidding.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
They are angling us out of a spot in the Big 10. I'm not kidding.
Nah. They are our contiguous partner. And northeast foozball will be the cat, that sits on my furniture, the rest of the country wanted to keep in the bag!

Reaction Score
Great thread, I never would have though UK would pull away in this one. Can you start one next time any top 10 team trails 2-0 or 4-2 early.

Reaction Score
husky91 said:
Great thread, I never would have though UK would pull away in this one. Can you start one next time any top 10 team trails 2-0 or 4-2 early.

Are you just playing a deliberately dense character on these boards, or are you naturally dense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom