Updated Scholarship Grid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
lMML958.png

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
Ok dumb question but, wtf why do we have 2 slots still open when we are less then 2 months away??

Reaction Score
Ok dumb question but, wtf why do we have 2 slots still open when we are less then 2 months away??

Because we missed on a few recruiting targets in the spring and didn't want to fill those spots with scrubs?

Calhoun had a horrible habit of using every last scholarship, including on 4-year guys who obviously couldn't hack it on the court or in the classroom. The result was that he would push those guys out after 1-2 years, and they would transfer, usually not in great academic standing. This is mainly what killed our APR in the 2008-2010 timeframe, with guys like Jamaal Trice and Darius Smith.

Realistically, the 12th and 13th guys aren't going to play anyway, so why tie up the scholarships in ways that can only hurt the program?

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
We still have LOTS of work to do for 2017. 4 open 'ships with a potential for 6 (if Jalen and/or Larrier go pro).

Great start with MAL, but we need a 2017 big BADLY!

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Because we missed on a few recruiting targets in the spring and didn't want to fill those spots with scrubs?

Calhoun had a horrible habit of using every last scholarship, including on 4-year guys who obviously couldn't hack it on the court or in the classroom. The result was that he would push those guys out after 1-2 years, and they would transfer, usually not in great academic standing. This is mainly what killed our APR in the 2008-2010 timeframe, with guys like Jamaal Trice and Darius Smith.

Realistically, the 12th and 13th guys aren't going to play anyway, so why tie up the scholarships in ways that can only hurt the program?
I agree with most of that post and Jamaal Trice is a good example of wasting a late scholarship on a reach.

That said you are completely forgetting that Darius Smith was a top 100 recruit and runner-up Mr. Basketball in Illinois. He was definitely considered an impactful signing at the time. It just so happened it didn't work out for him on and off the court at UConn.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I agree with most of that post and Jamaal Trice is a good example of wasting a late scholarship on a reach.

That said you are completely forgetting that Darius Smith was a top 100 recruit and runner-up Mr. Basketball in Illinois. He was definitely considered an impactful signing at the time. It just so happened it didn't work out for him on and off the court at UConn.

Rob Garrison would have probably fit that description better.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score

Very good points but NO!

Calhoun used every one of his scholarships. Yes he had some guy's that didn't pan out but that's the game. Don't put this on the Calhoun.

You use the spots because say the 7and 6 guy's don't pan out but the 12 guy is a stud..... Like Hilton Armstrong who just happened to be a late bloomer

Reaction Score
Very good points but NO!

Calhoun used every one of his scholarships. Yes he had some guy's that didn't pan out but that's the game. Don't put this on the Calhoun.

You use the spots because say the 7and 6 guy's don't pan out but the 12 guy is a stud..... Like Hilton Armstrong who just happened to be a late bloomer
No, you don't use a spot just for the sake of using a spot, ever.

If there's a guy you think has a legitimate shot at being a contributor, even in year 3 or 4 that's a different conversation. But there's no reason to unnecessarily tie up a scholarship for 4 years because that can only backfire

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
No, you don't use a spot just for the sake of using a spot, ever.

If there's a guy you think has a legitimate shot at being a contributor, even in year 3 or 4 that's a different conversation. But there's no reason to unnecessarily tie up a scholarship for 4 years because that can only backfire
Well I'm not saying he should give the spot to some guy off the street.

You do make a good point, no need to tie up a scholarship for 4 years.

Reaction Score
Can we self-impose a ban on 2 scholarships for this year as insurance against some possible future NCAA penalties? You never know with Emmert still in power.

Reaction Score
Not getting more bigs in the class of 2016 may come back to hurt the team, wouldn't have minded someone like Samuel mathias on the bench going into next year

Reaction Score
Not getting more bigs in the class of 2016 may come back to hurt the team, wouldn't have minded someone like Samuel mathias on the bench going into next year
I actually don't think we are in all that bad shape except we do need another center in 2017 class. At power forward we should be ok with Durham and Diarra. We really need an impact 5 man though to go along with Enoch.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see Ollie give a scholarship to a senior walk on if we're not gonna add anyone else for this year

Reaction Score
Very good points but NO!

If they had the chance to bring in a 12th man who had any chance of being a stud, they would have done so.

If you settle and add a Rakim Lubin type guy just to have another warm body and a 5% chance that he ends up cracking the rotation, you end up with a transfer and a potential APR hit.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I'd like to see Ollie give a scholarship to a senior walk on if we're not gonna add anyone else for this year

This will almost certainly be the case. I think its a great way to pay back the walk ons and added benefit of helping the APR.

Reaction Score
We'll get someone better than Mathias in this upcoming class and end up with four guys (Enoch, Durham, Diarra, NewGuy) who can play some minutes at the 4&5, as well as Jackson & most likely Polley who can play as stretch 4s.

We're in really good shape scholarship wise and balance wise.

Reaction Score

Not so much a late bloomer as an early starter. Hilton was 17 when he came to Storrs. At that age, a lot of recruits are Juniors in HS and have 2 or 3 years before they begin college. You can say JC was lucky, but I think he anticipated HA's development.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Can we self-impose a ban on 2 scholarships for this year as insurance against some possible future NCAA penalties? You never know with Emmert still in power.

I'm normally tired of NCAA punishing UCONN jokes, but this is actually not a bad idea. haha. A form of insurance.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Though I don't like it, we can use Durham at the 5 in with the CBB game the way it is. Granted, you only want to do it in a pinch, given his slight frame, but it's something.

We need a few bigs stat.

C

Chief00

Yeah - Calhoun had all these horrible habits - gee how did he become a HOF coach and win 3 NC's?

C

Chief00

We'll get someone better than Mathias in this upcoming class and end up with four guys (Enoch, Durham, Diarra, NewGuy) who can play some minutes at the 4&5, as well as Jackson & most likely Polley who can play as stretch 4s.

We're in really good shape scholarship wise and balance wise.
We lost our two best rebounders - to me it remains to be seen if we are in good shape down low.
I did note when looking at the updated rooster - how many tall guys we have - however being tall and being a Big can be two different things.
I am hoping Enoch makes a significant contribution and I expect big things from Durham if healthy. Mamu - could be a high motor guy.

Reaction Score
Yeah - Calhoun had all these horrible habits - gee how did he become a HOF coach and win 3 NC's?

Easy there, coach, no need to get defensive.

I think we're all adults here and can point out JC's flaws as well as strengths. The latter obviously greatly outweighed the former, hence the HOF coaching career and 3 NCs.

But we can learn from his mistakes too, and it's obvious that KO is doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom