Updated ESPN Rankings | The Boneyard

Updated ESPN Rankings

Reaction Score
Why is that a joke?

Castle is way better than 30 of the players ranked ahead of him, including 3 of 4 of those we're recruiting that OP listed. It's tough to judge different positions, but I can easily say he's better than Bowen and Griffiths, and probably better than Miranda too (though his improvement has been rapid).

Reaction Score
Castle is way better than 30 of the players ranked ahead of him, including 3 of 4 of those we're recruiting that OP listed. It's tough to judge different positions, but I can easily say he's better than Bowen and Griffiths, and probably better than Miranda too (though his improvement has been rapid).

You have watched more film then me, but I thought he was ranked so highly based on potential that hasnt been realized yet. Has he had a really good high school season this year?

Reaction Score
You have watched more film then me, but I thought he was ranked so highly based on potential that hasnt been realized yet. Has he had a really good high school season this year?

Bowen and Miranda are highly ranked because of potential. Exceptional size and athletcism... very low offensive skillset currently.

Castle is highly ranked because he's super skilled. 6'5, great passer, rapidly improving (and still good shooter), decent driver. A year ago he was nowhere near as good as he is now. His ceiling at the professional level may be limited because he isn't a spectacular athlete.

Reaction Score
You realize that you're complaining about subjective opinions, even if I pretend that it's totally clear whether the ranking is supposed to indicate how good you will be as a freshman versus how good you might be as a senior versus how good you might be in the NBA, right? There is no right answer as to what the correct ranking is for someone. Many UConn fans doubt DC will have much of an impact as a freshman, and being bent out of shape because a player out of the entire country of basketball players is 20 slots higher or lower than you think they are is just bizarre.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He has! I believe his team only has 1 loss to Prolific Prep out of CA. Stephon had 27 points that game. He is coming into his own. His team has 3-4 other high major guys and he is the head of the snake.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
You realize that you're complaining about subjective opinions, even if I pretend that it's not clear whether the ranking is supposed to indicate how good you will be as a freshman versus how good you might be as a senior versus how good you might be in the NBA, right? There is no right answer as to what the correct ranking is for someone. Many UConn fans doubt DC will have much of an impact as a freshman, and being bent out of shape because a player out of the entire country of basketball players is 20 slots higher or lower than you think they are is just bizarre.
I’m at a point where as long as a clear top 75 guy is in the top 75, I just move along without it bothering me.

Reaction Score
Castle is obviously an elite prospect and the ranking doesn’t matter beyond raising the excitement level of the program. Was just surprised to see him that low.

Reaction Score
You realize that that’s like 80% of The Boneyard, right?

Of course it is. But arguing about whether Gaffney is helping us or hurting us is about subjective opinions that we are in as good a place as anyone to have. Thinking it's offensive that Castle is ranked in the 50s instead of the 30s -- none of our opinions on that is worth a rats' butt, even if we agreed on what the rankings represented.

Nor was the OP even a statement over the author's opinion, which if he's watched a bunch of game tape more power to him. It was just silly anger. At least in my subjective opinion. (If I knew how to make a smiley face ....).

Reaction Score
You realize that you're complaining about subjective opinions, even if I pretend that it's totally clear whether the ranking is supposed to indicate how good you will be as a freshman versus how good you might be as a senior versus how good you might be in the NBA, right? There is no right answer as to what the correct ranking is for someone. Many UConn fans doubt DC will have much of an impact as a freshman, and being bent out of shape because a player out of the entire country of basketball players is 20 slots higher or lower than you think they are is just bizarre.

Isn't that what the BY is for? Asking questions like why is Castle ranked 25 &27 on other sites but ESPN 56? I seen it on Twitter came here wondering and oh look a thread where someone with extensive knowledge like @husky429 gives his opinion.

Reaction Score
I’m at a point where as long as a clear top 75 guy is in the top 75, I just move along without it bothering me.
Totally agree. These ranking "services" were originally born out of selling magazines and now about getting clicks. They mean very little other than to feel good or bad about a player being on a list, a player not being on a list, and then arguing about being 29th vs 59th vs 89th.

There's some crazy stat about something like half of NFL first round draft picks being three stars or less coming out of high school. Basketball might not be as bad as that, but I'd imagine it's a similar statement.

Relax, people. :)

Reaction Score
Still boggles my mind that people obsess about recruiting rankings and polls. Only thing that matters is what happens on the court. ESPN perennially overrates all of Duke's and Kentucky's recruits and underrates ours. Gee, anyone wonder why?? What were the average rankings of Kentucky's players in 2014 vs ours? Who won the game? Did anybody care about those rankings after that game?

And please don't give me crap about respect. Respect is earned on the court, not in the polls or in the recruiting rankings. I'll take a team of Napiers and Boatrights (pretty sure neither made ESPN's top 100) over the Harrison twins any day of the week. Because those are the guys you win championships with. Proven fact.

Reaction Score
Still boggles my mind that people obsess about recruiting rankings and polls. Only thing that matters is what happens on the court. ESPN perennially overrates all of Duke's and Kentucky's recruits and underrates ours. Gee, anyone wonder why?? What were the average rankings of Kentucky's players in 2014 vs ours? Who won the game? Did anybody care about those rankings after that game?

And please don't give me crap about respect. Respect is earned on the court, not in the polls or in the recruiting rankings. I'll take a team of Napiers and Boatrights (pretty sure neither made ESPN's top 100) over the Harrison twins any day of the week. Because those are the guys you win championships with. Proven fact.

They actually were both top 100 players.

Regardless what anyone says here rankings matter. It matters to the players and it matters to the coaches. Tell me you weren't excited to see UConn ranked in the teens again and if you say no you're lying.

Also, saying someone is ranked 56th instead of being a borderline 5 star can get people wondering. I have't seen one person here flipping out or all upset. There are more people saying calm down and so forth then those actually sweating it.

Reaction Score

This couldn't be further from the truth, polls and recruit rankings matter a great deal for a program.

Reaction Score

napier and boatright were both top 75! you can see the rankings listed next to each player's name on the cbb-reference page:

obviously, star ratings are subjective and basically meaningless, but if uconn is perceived as a school that brings in 5-star kids consistently, it will only help with recruiting down the line. plus, it's fun to think and talk about!

Reaction Score
Clingan as our lone ‘22 remaining is listed at 51.
In ‘23 Castle is ranked at 56. An absolute joke.

Edwards: 18
Miranda: 26
Griffiths: 32
Bol Bowen: 36
Emeka Okafor was barely a top 100 player irc. Chill. If hes good his ranking wont matter.

Reaction Score
This couldn't be further from the truth, polls and recruit rankings matter a great deal for a program.

Yup. It's about program perception and becoming a destination for talented kids. Castle is no better or worse just because ESPN ranked him lower than the other services. But landing a high caliber recruit boosts fan excitement and builds our reputation.

Reaction Score
They actually were both top 100 players.

Regardless what anyone says here rankings matter. It matters to the players and it matters to the coaches. Tell me you weren't excited to see UConn ranked in the teens again and if you say no you're lying.

Also, saying someone is ranked 56th instead of being a borderline 5 star can get people wondering. I have't seen one person here flipping out or all upset. There are more people saying calm down and so forth then those actually sweating it.
rankings don't mean squat to me. win on the court, that's all i care about. half these writers totally mail it in, they rank based on history, prestige, or whatever side of the bed they wake up on.

As far as Napier and Boatright, i was specifically talking about ESPN ratings. I'm pretty sure neither were in their top 100. But I could be wrong. however, either way, they were most definitely ranked WELL below the Harrison twins, whom they clearly outplayed in the national championship game. So no, ratings/rankings don't mean squat to me. we've done just fine with the guys we've gotten over time.

Reaction Score
I stand corrected. Boatright was 74th in ESPN rankings. Napier was not in their top 100. The Harrison twins meanwhile were #5 and #9 in their class. I rest my case. And that's just one of a hundred examples I could give.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
This but also the narrative that “rankings mean nothing” in terms of projecting how good a player will be is ridiculous. There are always going to be plenty that are off and some services are better than others, but for the most part they are very strong predictors of performance.

Reaction Score
Nobody is saying the ratings mean somebody is good or
agree to disagree. it means something to certain fans and that's about it. This isn't college football. In hoops, the national champion is decided on the court, not by some idiotic polls.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom