Upcoming schedule: I am asking for a lot, but... | The Boneyard

Upcoming schedule: I am asking for a lot, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It is what it is.

Can we calm down and just ride through it?

Syracuse, Ohio State (currently undefeated, and leading #6 Virginia late in the 2nd half), North Florida, Auburn, Houston (currently undefeated).

I'd like to see improvement. Don't care about the wins at this point (because I'll go crazy if that's my concern).

Just improve. That's all.

And don't go mad.

Reaction Score
It is what it is.

Can we calm down and just ride through it?

Syracuse, Ohio State (currently undefeated, and leading #6 Virginia late in the 2nd half), North Florida, Auburn, Houston (currently undefeated).

I'd like to see improvement. Don't care about the wins at this point (because I'll go crazy if that's my concern).

Just improve. That's all.

And don't go mad.
Houston got spanked by lsu yesterday.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
When they showed that upcoming schedule on the screen tonight my first thought was "We may go 0-5."

By contrast, in his post-game interview tonight Vital said we have a National Championship team.

I can't say he made me believe it, but he made me want to watch him try.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
When they showed that upcoming schedule on the screen tonight my first thought was "We may go 0-5."

By contrast, in his post-game interview tonight Vital said we have a National Championship team.

I can't say he made me believe it, but he made me want to watch him try.

Vital has played like he can handle more responsibility. The moment doesn't seem bigger than his game. I'd keep adding to his work load until he can't handle it. He rebounded well tonight and competed.

Reaction Score
Vital has played like he can handle more responsibility. The moment doesn't seem bigger than his game. I'd keep adding to his work load until he can't handle it. He rebounded well tonight and competed.

He had the ball poked away by his man from behind when we were up 3 with less than a minute to go. He had 4 turnovers to 1 assist at home against BU. I'm... not sure I totally agree with you. At least about the moment.

Reaction Score
He made a couple of 3's late. In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.

We used to be a land of perfect 2-eyed sight, so I'm having trouble getting excited about the new regime.

Reaction Score
It's good to be rah rah but we have to be realistic about what we lost with Larrier, Gilbert, and Diarra. These kids including Jalen are going to get all of the PT they can handle and it's going to be very beneficial for learning and next season. We have to get some muscle and strength down low, that cannot be overstated but if we do we can be competitive again next season. It's going to be very hard to watch at times this year and could be downright embarrassing occasionally, and we're going to hear a lot of crap from KO saying we should win with what we have. Any of us who have watched even just decent teams this year understand what we are watching. Wish I was wrong but watching tonight's game all I'd be doing is lying to myself.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
It's good to be rah rah but we have to be realistic about what we lost with Larrier, Gilbert, and Diarra. These kids including Jalen are going to get all of the PT they can handle and it's going to be very beneficial for learning and next season. We have to get some muscle and strength down low, that cannot be overstated but if we do we can be competitive again next season. It's going to be very hard to watch at times this year and could be downright embarrassing occasionally, and we're going to hear a lot of crap from KO saying we should win with what we have. Any of us who have watched even just decent teams this year understand what we are watching. Wish I was wrong but watching tonight's game all I'd be doing is lying to myself.
Next season comes around we'll have too many mouths to feed, again. Expect a slow start out of the gate. Players won't get better. Coaching won't get better. Chaos.

Reaction Score
If the goal is for us to be "competitive" next season than we have really fallen on hard times and Ollie ain't the guy. We were supposed to be a sweet 16 type team this season with even a couple of analysts saying we could possibly have final 4 potential. Next year with all our important pieces back and a top 5 freshman class as sophomores and the goal is to just be "competitive." With a roster with at least 5 top 50 kids and junior year Adams if all we can achieve is being "competitive" than Ollie has failed them.

Reaction Score
If the goal is for us to be "competitive" next season than we have really fallen on hard times and Ollie ain't the guy. We were supposed to be a sweet 16 type team this season with even a couple of analysts saying we could possibly have final 4 potential. Next year with all our important pieces back and a top 5 freshman class as sophomores and the goal is to just be "competitive." With a roster with at least 5 top 50 kids and junior year Adams if all we can achieve is being "competitive" than Ollie has failed them.

Because of another poster, I went back a few years to see what we were saying in 2014. You'd be surprised. The same amount of disillusionment.

We came into this season without a point guard with any experience. Anyone who thought they would be alright--even though UConn hasn't had to do anything like this since Taliek's freshman year--was dreaming. And then to lose the only PG on the team? Too much.

If the injuries didn't happen, this would have eventually developed into a tourney team--at least as good as last year's team.

But here we are. The story of this year is the injuries.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
He had the ball poked away by his man from behind when we were up 3 with less than a minute to go. He had 4 turnovers to 1 assist at home against BU. I'm... not sure I totally agree with you. At least about the moment.

You mean his elbow was poked and they didn't call anything

Reaction Score
Expect the first losing season in 30 plus years this year and the bottom of the AAC. I wish I was exaggerating.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I actually think this team is somewhat typical of UConn teams. Not the results, but in playing down to the competition. The first two losses should have been ugly wins. If they were, we'd have lost competitive games to a strong OSU team and a very talented Oregon team.

I won't predict victory on Monday, but I will predict that Adams' shots will fall (if he shoots normally we win last night by 20), Purvis' shots will fall, and we will be in the game late. I'm looking at some positives from yesterday. They cut down on turnovers some. They rebounded well (Purvis was very aggressive rebounding). They did a good job guarding the 3 point shot most of the night. Does anybody really think Adams will shoot 3 for 15 again? Purvis 2 for 10? Jackson....our best shooter o for 5? They need to play better, and move the ball better, but I think they can. They really need to practice FTs too.

Reaction Score
I actually think this team is somewhat typical of UConn teams. Not the results, but in playing down to the competition. The first two losses should have been ugly wins. If they were, we'd have lost competitive games to a strong OSU team and a very talented Oregon team.

I won't predict victory on Monday, but I will predict that Adams' shots will fall (if he shoots normally we win last night by 20), Purvis' shots will fall, and we will be in the game late. I'm looking at some positives from yesterday. They cut down on turnovers some. They rebounded well (Purvis was very aggressive rebounding). They did a good job guarding the 3 point shot most of the night. Does anybody really think Adams will shoot 3 for 15 again? Purvis 2 for 10? Jackson....our best shooter o for 5? They need to play better, and move the ball better, but I think they can. They really need to practice FTs too.

If you watched the first 5 games you will know that Purvis has shot worse than 2-10 and will shoot like that again. Adams shot 4-15 against Wagner so its possible he will shoot it bad again. Also, Jackson is 7-23 for 30% shooting on threes so not like he's been on fire all year.

Syracuse will not let Jalen drive on them. They have very long shot blockers on their team so driving against their zone isn't an option. We need ball movement and more ball movement and make the game ugly.

Reaction Score
OPs like this are so cute. Really? Lets cheer for improvement. Thats all that matters. If true, that speaks volume of where this program is heading.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
OPs like this are so cute. Really? Lets cheer for improvement. Thats all that matters. If true, that speaks volume of where this program is heading.
What is your suggestion?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If you watched the first 5 games you will know that Purvis has shot worse than 2-10 and will shoot like that again. Adams shot 4-15 against Wagner so its possible he will shoot it bad again. Also, Jackson is 7-23 for 30% shooting on threes so not like he's been on fire all year.

The thing here is that Jackson has a nice stroke. He's still adapting to the speed of the game, his shooting will get better. Rodney can't shoot, he just gets hot once in awhile. So did I at night basketball. They used to call me World.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score

I was more pissed at Jalen on that play as he retreated away from the ball. He HAS to come get it from Vital. If he is going to be the man, he has to have that ball at the end.

Reaction Score
BU did their homework. Don't let Adams drive, Press them full court and play a tight 2-3 zone and you can easily beat this UConn team. Can't run when only one guy can dribble and not many athletes anymore with Larrier and Gilbert out.

My suggestion is play old school Cincy basketball, play great defense and make all games low scoring and ugly. Everyone who dribbles on a fast break including Adams always seem like they are about to lose the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom