Upcoming Coach Calhoun Speaking Appearance | The Boneyard

Upcoming Coach Calhoun Speaking Appearance

Reaction Score
Thought this might be of interest to those on the board. I've attended this event several times (both the breakfast and the games). It's apparently one of the longest running high school all-star games is the country.

JCC Classic.jpg

C

Chief00

Calhoun does his work - be it the JCC tournament in Bridgeport or honoring Bob Salisbury in New Haven. That gets around and builds his network of supporters , which helps give him that recruiting edge.

Last edited by a moderator:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Calhoun does his work - be it the JCC tournament in Bridgeport or honoring Bob Salisbury in New Haven. That gets around and builds his network of supporters , which helps gives him that recruiting edge.
So… Would JC ever consider coming back short term to stop the hemorrhaging? You know like a mini RE move. Right the ship and then sell off into the sunset.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
So… Would JC ever consider coming back short term to stop the hemorrhaging? You know like a mini RE move. Right the ship and then sell off into the sunset.

He’s turning 76 this spring. Age and health-related negative recruiting would make that ship very tough to right. This isn’t even considering whether or not his body can handle nationwide recruiting trips and the travel of our conference schedule.

All of his St. Joe’s work is local and not very strenuous. He seems happy there.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He’s turning 76 this spring. Age and health-related negative recruiting would make that ship very tough to right. This isn’t even considering whether or not his body can handle nationwide recruiting trips and the travel of our conference schedule.

All of his St. Joe’s work is local and not very strenuous. He seems happy there.
Agree 100% Stair. I guess it's wishful thinking more than anything else, yet if someone were to pick someone to pull us out of our current death spiral Jim Calhoun would seem to be that guy.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
JC annointed KO, maybe the person who builds a program from nothing gets that privilege. But it hasn't worked long term and Calhoun should not have a major role this time around.

Reaction Score
Billy Donovan mentioned today, followed by Calhoun, Geno right around the corner.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Thought this might be of interest to those on the board. I've attended this event several times (both the breakfast and the games). It's apparently one of the longest running high school all-star games is the country.

View attachment 28479

Played against Tate George in this game. My thought then, was that he is a very good distributor and tall for a pg.

Reaction Score
I’ve often thought this too. JC for a year to teach the team discipline and accountability and doesn’t play a major role in selecting the next coach. What he have now is an utter embarrassment.

Reaction Score
Jim has to be heartbroken by what has happened to the program he built. Ollie destroyed the program Jim created. Jim made few mistakes in his career, but the one that he has to regret the most must be tagging Ollie as the one to continue to move the program forward.

Reaction Score

View attachment 28479
JC is also the keynote speaker for the Archdiocese of Hartford's St. Patrick's Day breakfast on 3/16.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I like that idea. But sail off and give who the captains hate.

Reaction Score
Man that would be pretty cool to hear old coach again. I might have to make a road trip.

Reaction Score
He shoehorned KO into the job in the first place so his fractured relationship and subsequent silence is not good. they don’t talk. What can he do? Well number one, put his ego aside and get together with KO for a program saving strategy. KO does not have to listen but he should try anyway.

Reaction Score
He shoehorned KO into the job in the first place so his fractured relationship and subsequent silence is not good. they don’t talk. What can he do? Well number one, put his ego aside and get together with KO for a program saving strategy. KO does not have to listen but he should try anyway.
Put his ego aside? It’s never been about his ego. He’s been more than available from Day 1. If Kevin Ollie doesn’t want the help or he wants to cite Larry Brown as his mentor, etc. it’s 100% on him. There isn’t an ounce of blame that should be placed on JC for the strained (and disrespectful and unappreciative) relationship between the two.

Reaction Score
Billy Donovan mentioned today, followed by Calhoun, Geno right around the corner.
Billy and New England does sound very sexy.
I’m sure Jim wouldn’t mind the Irish part either. And the Durant link oddly maintains. Weird?

Reaction Score
Put his ego aside? It’s never been about his ego. He’s been more than available from Day 1. If Kevin Ollie doesn’t want the help or he wants to cite Larry Brown as his mentor, etc. it’s 100% on him. There isn’t an ounce of blame that should be placed on JC for the strained (and disrespectful and unappreciative) relationship between the two.
I like all the flies on the wall in the practice facility hearing these personal conversations. After seeing the 30 for 30 I really see this as parcels and belichek pardon the spelling for both. It’s almost like ko was told he was taking over like bill b was in a frantic move to get things put in a particular motion. One guy was set up for greatness at the time, the other, let’s be honest, sanctions , realignment, loss of scholarships , focusing more on grades all the stuff top recruits love. Ask chief.

Reaction Score
cool to hear old coach again.
I liked Calhoun but god bless those players, especally foreign born ones, if they understood everything because he doesn't annunciate all the time, especially when he has a lot on his mind.

Reaction Score
Larry Brown mentored both coaches in Monday's NCAA final

UConn coach Kevin Ollie played for Brown with the Philadelphia 76ers. It was Brown who pushed Ollie into coaching, and it was Brown who reached out to Ollie Saturday night after the Huskies beat Florida in the semifinals.

"The only text I got was from Coach Brown, just saying congratulations and have fun with it," Ollie said. "I love him to death. I had an opportunity to talk to him this morning and he just gave me some sound advice: Have fun, don’t make it complicated."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom