Unfortunately, CBB Conference Tournaments Mean Very Little | The Boneyard

Unfortunately, CBB Conference Tournaments Mean Very Little

Reaction Score
I would like to challenge all of the BY statisticians to tabulate how many of these conference tournament games actually mean anything. Men and Women. Especially in the power conferences. I posted a couple of weeks ago that I thought CBB in general has problems. I think this is one of them.
I watched the ND- UNC game the other night and one of my thoughts throughout the game was how meaningless it was, really for either team. I guess UNC is in the NCAA tournament as a lower seed no matter what and ND is a lock for a #1 or #2 no matter what.
Does it matter if you are a #1 or #2?
I would argue, it's the same scenario with UConn.
This could be a blasphemous comment, but I long for the old days when these tournaments meant everything. I remember the days of 32 teams and only the tournament champion got in. I played with Steve Castellan, who started as a freshman at UVA in 1976 (history buffs- team was coached by Terry Holland and had Wally Walker, Billy Langloh, and Gus Gerard), when they won the ACC tournament and got in the NCAA tournament as a result, over the likes of UNC and UMD. That is still one of the select few banners that hang in JPJ Arena. (maybe they'll add to it this year)
Even as a UConn diehard, I think it would be fun if the AAC Tournament this weekend meant something.
Tell me how wrong I am! Have at it!

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Any result that keeps MS ST and Notre Dame out of Albany is meaningful to me. Any result that also puts Baylor and MS ST and Notre Dame on the other side of the bracket is meaningful to me.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
For many in the region, it's their last chance to see their kids play, for this year, or ever. That being said, the venues sometimes look awfully empty.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
One might be able to argue the same about the regular season and any non-Power 5 conference. Sure, there are the random teams who pop up, but really, why should we care. Continuing the argument, college basketball should only be about the top tiers. Perhaps some "tier-based" thing a la soccer?

Thing is, it doesn't grow the game - fiscally or fanbase-wise....

Reaction Score
It matters for NCAA seeding. Sure even if we lose today we still make the tourney, but it comes down to how easy do we want the road to the final four to be?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
For the ACC it is huge for ND/Louisville as any loss by one team probably sends them to Portland while the other gets Chicago.

For MSST it could be a #1 seed that keeps them out of Greenville, Chicago, and Albany which means facing not facing the ACC, AAC, or the Big12 winner prior to the FF.

And for others it gets them a hosting site or loses them one, and it probably has an effect on some of the bubble teams both positive and negative.

Reaction Score
Perhaps, but they are a world of fun to attend :)
I hear you. I love live events. In this area we have the Men's Regionals. A little pricey. I'm more inclined to drive to Albany.
The Men's Big East looks fun at MSG. Everybody losing today.

Reaction Score
Great comments. Thanks!
I totally hear what you guys are saying!
I'm talking about do-or-die.
When Geno says that he doesn't care where he goes or what his seed is, I believe him.
You still have to play the games. Hoops is about matchups. You never know what the best matchup is. It's a crap shoot, if you think about it. I agree though, you don't want to face one of the big boys before Tampa.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom