Undersized no longer: UConn’s Beavers, Van Demark ready for an encore (Fuller) | The Boneyard

Undersized no longer: UConn’s Beavers, Van Demark ready for an encore (Fuller)

Reaction Score
Undersized no longer: UConn’s Beavers, Van Demark ready for an encore

>>When UConn plays host to No. 21 UCF on Thursday (7 p.m., ESPNU), Beavers and Van Demark will once again be playing significant roles but will be doing so with about an extra 30 pounds of muscle on their collective frames.

“I feel like I play faster, a lot more athletic than I did last year, even gaining 30-plus pounds,” Beavers said. “I can tell when I hit people.”<<

>>Things are also changing for Van Demark, now the starting left tackle who checks in around 290 pounds. “Seeing that 30 extra pounds of weight on you and see that he can still move at the same speed that he did at 260 is a testament to how much work he put in during the offseason,” said fellow starting offensive tackle Matt Peart. “You can definitely see that aspect, he’s always been a physical kid, that’s why he started as a freshman.”<<

Reaction Score
I usually don't get too excited when I see guys adding significant weight because I wonder what they might be sacrificing But VanDemark needed a few pounds of muscle that his frame can absorb. It's going to help his blocking this year. I expect UCF to be pretty aggressive coming at us on D but think we might have some answers with this line.

Reaction Score
Reading this in print this morning few other things jumped out:

>>The 295-pound Haynes is set to become the first true freshman offensive lineman to start in a season opener since UConn began playing at the Football Bowl Subdivision level. <<

>>Jones checks in somewhere between 350-360 pounds. He has seen time at every defensive line position in preseason camp but is projected to be the starting nose tackle against UCF. Jones will line up next to 280-pound redshirt freshman Caleb Thomas, the team leader in both the bench press and squat.<<

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom