Undefeated D-II Ashland to Face UConn in PreSeason | The Boneyard

Undefeated D-II Ashland to Face UConn in PreSeason

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Stepping up: D-II champ Ashland to face UConn in exhibition

Undefeated and Division II champion Ashland is getting a shot at the gold standard of women's college basketball — UConn.

The Eagles went 37-0 this season to capture their second Division II crown. They will face UConn in a preseason exhibition game Nov. 5 Ashland announced the matchup Thursday, presenting a "tale of the tape" between the programs on its website.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
I love how Geno consistently schedules games with teams and coaches that want to play him and are excited to play. The coach called this a "great oportunity." This is how you GROW THE GAME OF WOMENS BASKETBALL

Reaction Score
Eagle, huh? Hmmm....Lessee...Fried? Nonono...too KY. Pan-fried? Nooo...too SC. I know...sauteed in a white wine sauce with fresh dill and organic capers! No, to Northern California. AH...dredged in flour and fried up with some good sawmill gravy....no, too TN. Maybe pickled, boiled for hours, and then served up with cabbage, carrots, and potatoes? Nope, too Irish-American (eaten a lot of that, lately).

Maybe just beat the tar of out it, send it over to Frank and see if he'll put it in on a white pizza, maybe with some garlic and onion. THAT'S how we'll eat our Eagle.

All kidding aside, this is is a great move by their HC, and another display of Sportsmanship by Geno & Co. Can't wait to see the game!

Reaction Score
Eagle, huh? Hmmm....Lessee...Fried? Nonono...too KY. Pan-fried? Nooo...too SC. I know...sauteed in a white wine sauce with fresh dill and organic capers! No, to Northern California. AH...dredged in flour and fried up with some good sawmill gravy....no, too TN. Maybe pickled, boiled for hours, and then served up with cabbage, carrots, and potatoes? Nope, too Irish-American (eaten a lot of that, lately).

Maybe just beat the tar of out it, send it over to Frank and see if he'll put it in on a white pizza, maybe with some garlic and onion. THAT'S how we'll eat our Eagle.

All kidding aside, this is is a great move by their HC, and another display of Sportsmanship by Geno & Co. Can't wait to see the game!

I thought Eagles were a protected species? ;)

Reaction Score
Stepping up: D-II champ Ashland to face UConn in exhibition

Undefeated and Division II champion Ashland is getting a shot at the gold standard of women's college basketball — UConn.

The Eagles went 37-0 this season to capture their second Division II crown. They will face UConn in a preseason exhibition game Nov. 5 Ashland announced the matchup Thursday, presenting a "tale of the tape" between the programs on its website.
Great, let's get Quinny now.

Reaction Score
I don't pretend that I know what the level of DII ball actually is, but I don't see how this does anyone any good, except possibly the Ashland coach. Right now those girls are the queens of the world they live in. But how will they feel after 40 minutes with UCONN? Why burst their bubble? It seems to me this has more chance to mess them up for their season than to improve it or make them feel good about themselves.
And for UCONN? Maybe Geno will play the 4 recruits and the 2 transfers all 40 minutes x 5. Or who knows what. But I can't see that it will really prepare our team for the season. What's the point?

Reaction Score
Doesn't Coach Mulkey schedule these kinds of games too? I mean, they may play them in December instead of early November, but she plays them nonetheless!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There is a separate thread on this, but the other preseason game is Fort Hayes State ranked 24 in D2 by Massey and a quarter finalist in the D2 tournament.
As a preseason slate - this is actually harder than about half of the MD OOC and 5 of the Baylor OOC from this past year! :rolleyes::cool:

I do not pretend to know exactly how Massey puts together their Power Rating, but it carries through all three divisions of WCBB and is the same. Because of this, when you look at a team's opponents and get down to the bottom rung of them - the ranking in Massey for say MD has rankings that go beyond the 349 that is the total D1 programs so that ranking must include the D2 and D3 teams - Maryland played teams with Massey rankings of: 742, 547, 458, and 446 suggesting there were 400 teams in D2 and D3 better than MA Lowell which I don't find hard to believe. Baylor played teams rated 1059, 716, 629, and 532 - to put that in context Tx Southern which was their blow out first round opponent is rated 230, and Albany our 1st round opponent is rated 167. Withrop who they beat 140 to 32 has a rating of 1059 and ranks as #349 or 349 D1 schools. Their power ranking number is 0.00 which ties them with #246 D2 school Barry (power rankings actually can be negative) and #146 Clarkson in D3, and NAIA St. Mary NE #140 and I won't go into the other smaller college divisions but you get the idea.

Our two opponents this year in preseason have power ratings as follows:
Ashland 1.96, the same as D1 Drake and barely ahead of Georgia Tech at 1.95 - they would rank #37 if they were a D1 school
Fort Hayes State 1.08, the same as Dartmouth, Wayne St NE, and just behind College of Charleston with a value of 1.09 - they would rank 270 if they were a D1 school.
The top end of D2 and D3 schools are good basketball teams, well coached, with good athletes. The bottom of D1 schools are bad basketball teams, generally poorly coached with bad basketball players. They play in HS gyms with no fans and some of the schools are tiny - why they play D1 basketball is anyone's guess.
The top end of D1 is way better than any D2 or D3 team Uconn's power rating is 3.17, #10 UCLA is 2.45, but #25 Tennessee is down to 2.12 and #33 Temple is at 2.02, so the slide towards the top end of D2 is pretty precipitous.

The top end of D2 is #1 Ashland which would be just four spots behind Temple, but #10 C. Missouri has dropped to 1.22 which is the same as East Carolina at D1#195 and #25 Augustana SD is at 1.08 which is the same as Fort Hayes D1 #270 in range

The top end of D3 is Amherst at 1.61, (comp is Ball St at D1 103) and #10 has dropped to 0.86 (Presbyterian at D1 286)

The top of NAIA is OK City at 1.38 (Yale at 159) and #10 has dropped to 1.04 (Indiana St 242)

Now. I am sure that Massey's numbers across divisions are suspect based on completely different competition, just like making sense of D1 rankings is difficult because of wildly different competition. How does any system truly make sense of stats from a Baylor vs. Winthrop match-up with a 108 MOV? But the idea that a team is bad because the school has not chosen to pump crazy money into competing in D1 without actually looking at the team is equally crazy. The D3 team that won the championships the last two or three years had a transfer player from FSU or FL who had been on scholarship there.

Long, but I think pretty interesting!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't pretend that I know what the level of DII ball actually is, but I don't see how this does anyone any good, except possibly the Ashland coach. Right now those girls are the queens of the world they live in. But how will they feel after 40 minutes with UCONN? Why burst their bubble? It seems to me this has more chance to mess them up for their season than to improve it or make them feel good about themselves.
And for UCONN? Maybe Geno will play the 4 recruits and the 2 transfers all 40 minutes x 5. Or who knows what. But I can't see that it will really prepare our team for the season. What's the point?
The idea of preseason for D1 schools is to work out kinks in live action without it counting, and for D2 and D3 schools they make a little money and they give there kids a chance to see the other world and if they are good the coaches get teaching moments on tape - there have actually been some games that turned out much more competitive for D1 schools than they expected or probably wanted. And with a good coach it can be constructive and instructive and fun - last year Lubbock Christian came to the northeast with a plane full of fans, played in Boston and then came to Gampel - they had a great time, played hard smart basketball, got obliterated by Uconn, went home, used the film and the lessons learned (copyright:JPM) and went undefeated in D2 winning the championship in Indianapolis with the Uconn contingent including coaches cheering them on!
So yeah, it can help, just like Jen scheduling a thrashing from Geno made sense to her, or Holy Cross doing the same for 20 years.

Reaction Score
Ashland graduated three seniors who accounted for only 19 of Ashland's 93 points per game,
so they'll probably be pretty good next year too.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Ashland graduated three seniors who accounted for only 19 of Ashland's 93 points per game,
so they'll probably be pretty good next year too.
If you read their announcement in the news links Nan posted - they were having trouble finding a game for preseason. I suspect based on the above Masses numbers there were a LOT of D1 teams that did not want to play them! Not exactly something you want next to your school resume - lost a preseason game to a D2 school!
Yes, UConn: AU women to face iconic team

Reaction Score
:cool:

I do not pretend to know exactly how Massey puts together their Power Rating, but it carries through all three divisions of WCBB and is the same.

A small number of teams play opponents from a different division. Sometimes it's a program that is transitioning to D1, who will play a mix of D1 & D2 teams, or maybe a bottom of the rung D1 team that wants to win a game. (I also recall 1 year that Rutgers played D3 Kean - perhaps bc of a schedule opening.) Those games allow all the teams to be "connected," and thus Massey can get a single ranking of them all. But since the inter-divisional games are few, it's a weak connection and the rankings are likely off.

Reaction Score
The idea of preseason for D1 schools is to work out kinks in live action without it counting,
'Course UConn will be working out some of those kinks while touring Italy over the summer. But the time November exhibition season comes around, they will be ready to take on the world.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
A small number of teams play opponents from a different division. Sometimes it's a program that is transitioning to D1, who will play a mix of D1 & D2 teams, or maybe a bottom of the rung D1 team that wants to win a game. (I also recall 1 year that Rutgers played D3 Kean - perhaps bc of a schedule opening.) Those games allow all the teams to be "connected," and thus Massey can get a single ranking of them all. But since the inter-divisional games are few, it's a weak connection and the rankings are likely off.
True, but there is some significant correlation in play given the very rapid divergence of scores by division where the #25 team in D2 has fallen to an equivalency of 170 places in D1 rank compared to the #1 team. You actually see a similar divergence in D1 rating raw numbers between #1 Uconn and #33 Temple.
I do think there is some value in looking at the correlation Massey identifies between the divisions and whether it is exact likely falls into the margin of error for head to head competition. Maybe Ashland looses 4 of 5 to Drake in a five game series, but then #2 South Carolina lost 1 of 1 to #28 Missouri. It does strongly suggest that Ashland is as good as 75% of the D1 schools even if not quite the 90% that Massey identifies. And it also suggests as D1 play seems to prove that when you get to the bottom 49 schools in D1 they really are dreadful.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom