UNCW Scouting Report | The Boneyard

UNCW Scouting Report

Reaction Score
UNCW: 0-2
Kenpom Rating: 212
College Insider Preseason Mid-Major Ranking: 59th

Last season’s record: 27-9 (CAA regular season champs)

Previous games:

• 11/7 @ North Carolina - loss 56-69
    • Trazarien White w/ 19 points, 7 boards, 2 steals
  • 11/11 v Allen (D2) W 104-55
  • 11/15 @ Oklahoma - loss 53-74
    • Trazarien White w/ 19 points, 3 boards

Notable national rankings via KenPom:
  • 34.8 fg% (353rd in nation)
  • 14.4 offensive turnover rate (40th best in nation)
  • 32.5 offensive rebound rate (106th best in nation)
  • None of their defensive metrics are better than 162nd in nation

In his second season leading the UNCW Seahawks, 36-year-old head coach Takayo Siddle improved from a 7-10 rookie season to a 27-9 season that finished with a CAA regular season championship and a CBI tournament championship that featured wins over top-100 teams Drake and Middle Tennessee.

Last season’s offense was predicated on secure guard play (12th lowest turnover rate) while the defense worked the shot clock (18.5 second average possession length was 19th longest in the nation), forced iso (10th lowest defensive assist rate), prevented perimeter offense (40th lowest opponent 3pa ratio) and generated turnovers (88th best turnover rate).

A Look at the Roster

1668632462361.png

Right now, Trazarien White is the clear alpha of the Seahawks. His athleticism and ability to attack the rim at his size makes him a good early season challenge to prep for the Big East’s high generating wings like Colby Jones, David Jones and Bryce Hopkins.

The veteran big duo of Enoh and Kelly provide a steady 1-2 punch for our bigs and are easily the best group of bigs we've played against so far this year. I'm also looking forward to see how our 4s plays against a very capable 6'9 stretch van der Deijden, a former Ole Miss recruit.

Reading their season preview on the Almanac, Siddle wants the Seahawks to be known for a frenetic defense that uses its length to generate turnovers and make it tough for opponents to score. Considering that Siddle, so far, has played 10-deep rotations with nine averaging between 14-28 mpg, you get a sense of that VCU

Obviously, playing good teams like UNC and Oklahoma has messed with their metrics, but it’ll be a fun warm up to play a team known for its defense.

Reaction Score
UNCW: 0-2
Kenpom Rating: 212
College Insider Preseason Mid-Major Ranking: 59th

Last season’s record: 27-9 (CAA regular season champs)

Previous games:

• 11/7 @ North Carolina - loss 56-69
    • Trazarien White w/ 19 points, 7 boards, 2 steals
  • 11/11 v Allen (D2) W 104-55
  • 11/15 @ Oklahoma - loss 53-74
    • Trazarien White w/ 19 points, 3 boards

Notable national rankings via KenPom:
  • 34.8 fg% (353rd in nation)
  • 14.4 offensive turnover rate (40th best in nation)
  • 32.5 offensive rebound rate (106th best in nation)
  • None of their defensive metrics are better than 162nd in nation

In his second season leading the UNCW Seahawks, 36-year-old head coach Takayo Siddle improved from a 7-10 rookie season to a 27-9 season that finished with a CAA regular season championship and a CBI tournament championship that featured wins over top-100 teams Drake and Middle Tennessee.

Last season’s offense was predicated on secure guard play (12th lowest turnover rate) while the defense worked the shot clock (18.5 second average possession length was 19th longest in the nation), forced iso (10th lowest defensive assist rate), prevented perimeter offense (40th lowest opponent 3pa ratio) and generated turnovers (88th best turnover rate).

A Look at the Roster

View attachment 80758

Right now, Trazarien White is the clear alpha of the Seahawks. His athleticism and ability to attack the rim at his size makes him a good early season challenge to prep for the Big East’s high generating wings like Colby Jones, David Jones and Bryce Hopkins.

The veteran big duo of Enoh and Kelly provide a steady 1-2 punch for our bigs and are easily the best group of bigs we've played against so far this year. I'm also looking forward to see how our 4s plays against a very capable 6'9 stretch van der Deijden, a former Ole Miss recruit.

Reading their season preview on the Almanac, Siddle wants the Seahawks to be known for a frenetic defense that uses its length to generate turnovers and make it tough for opponents to score. Considering that Siddle, so far, has played 10-deep rotations with nine averaging between 14-28 mpg, you get a sense of that VCU

Obviously, playing good teams like UNC and Oklahoma has messed with their metrics, but it’ll be a fun warm up to play a team known for its defense.
I always like these scouting reports. Apologies, because I know I have asked you this before, but I don't remember your answer.

What websites and sources do you use to create these scouting reports?

Reaction Score
Trazarien White and Shykeim Phillips are basically the entire team. Barely anyone else shoots. Trazarien using the 10th most possessions in D1 so far. Shykeim likes the midrange (38% of his shots 2pt Js/floaters).

Outside of those 2, Eric Van Der Heijden is the designated stretch big shooter, only guy on the team that has made more than one 3 so far through 2 games.

Enoh big on the offensive glass. Newby has some hands defensively. But Whaley-esque offensive invisibility (not not Whaley-esque defensive prominence).

Reaction Score
I always like these scouting reports. Apologies, because I know I have asked you this before, but I don't remember your answer.

What websites and sources do you use to create these scouting reports?
Muchas gracias.

Kenpom.com and EvanMiya.com for metrics, Basketball Reference for stats, the Almanac and my eyeballs whenever I get a chance to watch the teams.

I also keep a year-to-year google doc w/ a bunch of teams, there projected lineups and their recruiting/transfer info. What's great is I can be on it whenever at work and it looks like I'm being super organized and productive :cool:.

Reaction Score
didn't even realize there were 353 d1 teams this year lol. 34.8% team fg is truly awful.

Reaction Score
Their tallest players are both 6'9 and their website has them at 220 - 225 pounds. Sanogo is ready for his bounce back game.

Alleyne can show his defensive progress again against White. If they really are a 1 man show on offense, Alleyne can take him out of the game

It seems like it'll be a repeat of Buffalo. Make your shots that are generated from Sanogo's presence and we'll win by 30+. Hope Sanogo eats them alive

Reaction Score
UConn by 19.

My draftkings has UConn --18.5

That's a tough line for me. They looked pretty good so far this season. Tarzanian is going to be a fun test for our wings. Bigs will be tested on their nall screen defense and rebounding. Definitely a step up from our other comp

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom