OT: Unconsumer friendly pub... | The Boneyard

OT: Unconsumer friendly pub...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Last night my wife & I went to a Christmas party. It got over at 9 P.M., so we went with 3 other couples to a pub that recently changed hands to watch the 2nd half of the UConn hoop game against Duke. The pub had signs & a chalkboard that said that domestic draft beers were $ 2.50 during NFL games. One of the TV's had the Thursday night game on. I ordered a Two Roads & was charged $ 7.00. When I asked about the signage, I was informed that:
Each sign had a picture of Bud light which was behind the promotion so only AB products qualified per the manager. When I countered that one doesn't get more domestic than brews from Stratford, the cutiepie behind the bar says "I know-right?"
So, because the management decided to be the Grinch, the establishment is now checked off of my bucket list. Been there-not going back. Too bad because they have live bands nightly.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Last night my wife & I went to a Christmas party. It got over at 9 P.M., so we went with 3 other couples to a pub that recently changed hands to watch the 2nd half of the UConn hoop game against Duke. The pub had signs & a chalkboard that said that domestic draft beers were $ 2.50 during NFL games. One of the TV's had the Thursday night game on. I ordered a Two Roads & was charged $ 7.00. When I asked about the signage, I was informed that:
Each sign had a picture of Bud light which was behind the promotion so only AB products qualified per the manager. When I countered that one doesn't get more domestic than brews from Stratford, the cutiepie behind the bar says "I know-right?"
So, because the management decided to be the Grinch, the establishment is now checked off of my bucket list. Been there-not going back. Too bad because they have live bands nightly.
They usually try to finesse that by using some "craft" beers are exempt terminology. Instead of domestic they should just call say all crap beers are $2.50. I'm surprised they agreed that was an NFL game considering the teams involved.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score

Those deals are almost always only for the big Domestic beers. That is not on the Pub, especially if they had pictures of Bud Light on the sign. Come on.

Reaction Score
Those deals are almost always only for the big Domestic beers. That is not on the Pub, especially if they had pictures of Bud Light on the sign. Come on.

Did the sign say "domestic draft beers are $2.50 during NFL games"? Did the OP order a domestic draft beer? I don't see where the confusion is. The sign should be changed to "Bud Lights are $2.50 during NFL games" or something the represents what they are selling for $2.50.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Did the sign say "domestic draft beers are $2.50 during NFL games"? Did the OP order a domestic draft beer? I don't see where the confusion is. The sign should be changed to "Bud Lights are $2.50 during NFL games" or something the represents what they are selling for $2.50.

Sounds like it was a Bud Light sign. Just typical marketing. If the consumer wants to play dumb, then that is their prerogative, but I feel like almost everyone knows that expensive micro-brews don't count in those deals.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Sounds like it was a Bud Light sign. Just typical marketing. If the consumer wants to play dumb, then that is their prerogative, but I feel like almost everyone knows that expensive micro-brews don't count in those deals.
"I know what it says but you should have known what we meant" defense is a bad business policy. It sounds like it has come up before. When a promotion is turning off customers you've got a problem. Sounds like bad managment to me.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
"I know what it says but you should have known what we meant" defense is a bad business policy. It sounds like it has come up before. When a promotion is turning off customers you've got a problem. Sounds like bad managment to me.

I agree...the proper remedy is to honor the beer, explain the policy, and consider changing your sign; however, I'd have to see the sign to be sure of my opinion. "Domestic" tends to be a term referring to the major breweries (de facto); while "micro", "local", or "craft" tend to be a different category alltogether.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Only a 21 year old should be upset over this. The experienced beer connoisseur should know that "Domestic" is usually code for American Macro-brew (even though Bud is now technically a foreign product).

You tried to win on a technicality and by being somewhat brusque, the manager may have felt borderline insulted. Sorry Coach, but you should have made sure before you ordered. I think the spirit of the law rightfully trumps the letter.

On the other hand, the manager could have honored a conciliatory one time purchase (due to the confusion) for $2.50.

The right way to handle it was probably somewhere in between.

Reaction Score
Only a 21 year old should be upset over this. The experienced beer connoisseur should know that "Domestic" is usually code for American Macro-brew (even though Bud is now technically a foreign product).

You tried to win on a technicality and by being somewhat brusque, the manager may have felt borderline insulted. Sorry Coach, but you should have made sure before you ordered. I think the spirit of the law rightfully trumps the letter.

On the other hand, the manager could have honored a conciliatory one time purchase (due to the confusion) for $2.50.

I'm the rare breed that doesn't drink beer, so I didn't realize that "domestic beer" wasn't a literal term. I'll take your word for it :)

Reaction Score
I'm the rare breed that doesn't drink beer, so I didn't realize that "domestic beer" wasn't a literal term. I'll take your word for it :)

it's fancy snob beer versus regular guy beer.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

Actually the letter of law usually trumps the spirit of it. This isn't really a legal issue given the cash value involved. It's a marketing one. Make your signs clear and if you don't give the customer the benefit of the doubt. They had an opportunity to turn the negative of an unclear sign into customer loyalty at a nominal cost. They didn't. Bad call.

As an aside, why do people always assume that the "right" answer is in the middle? Isn't that contingent on the reasonableness of the two starting positions?

Reaction Score
I can picture coach running around like that kid in Better Off Dead... "I want my $2...."

Reaction Score
I can picture coach running around like that kid in Better Off Dead... "I want my $2...."
Um, no. I asked a question & didn't get a satisfactory answer as far as I was concerned. There are plenty of other establishments in town to patronize. I'm choosing that option. It's my prerogative.

Reaction Score
Um, no. I asked a question & didn't get a satisfactory answer as far as I was concerned. There are plenty of other establishments in town to patronize. I'm choosing that option. It's my prerogative.

So what bar was this?

Reaction Score
Don't fall for the ones with this sign...
51DgAMAs5yL.jpg

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Would this pub be in the Plantsville section of town?

Reaction Score
I won't give its name: Let's just say it's in Rochambeau Mall & leave it at that.

Reaction Score
"Domestic" beer applied to local microbrews is a forgivable mistake, but the stickler editor in my head wants to change "unconsumer friendly" to "consumer unfriendly".

I'd keep it the way he is. If he were a consumer, he would have known. This place is friendly to unconsumers, until they give you the bill.

By the way, I'm astonished you can buy beers for $2.50 anywhere these days, esp. in Connecticut. I was out in New Haven a few weeks ago, and places were charging $10+ for beer.

Reaction Score
The next time you walk into a pub, ignore anything you read about specials. They never pertain to good beer. Just ask for 4 of these black beauties and pay whatever the barkeep asks for, it will be worth it.
Just looking at this makes me want to go back to Ireland asap

upload_2014-12-20_1-8-29.jpeg

Reaction Score
By the way, I'm astonished you can buy beers for $2.50 anywhere these days, esp. in Connecticut.
Unless referencing Budějovický Budvar, the real, authentic stuff, it's astonishing anyone views AB Inbev's Budweiser as beer regardless of price. With great alternatives available at reasonable prices (not $10), even $2.50's a lot for the Belgian-Brazilian owned piss-water.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
I won't give its name: Let's just say it's in Rochambeau Mall & leave it at that.
Funny sh/t just went there recently now I gotta scratch it off my list

Reaction Score
Isn't the whole point about telling people of bad experiences to give the business name to spread the word?

That would be my thought. He is mad enough to write a long post about it but not mad enough to tell anyone else not to go there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom