UNC vs. Stanford [merged thread] | The Boneyard

UNC vs. Stanford [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
UNC up 15-8 about 12 minutes in to the game (8 min left in the half...)

Reaction Score
UNC 24-18 at halftime. Thompson and Orrange are a combined 1 for 15 in the 1st half.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Lets go Stanford.... your football team thumped a team wearing the sissy blue today ....... so lets make it a daily double

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
11-pt lead now.

How'd the Huskies not beat Stanford again?

Reaction Score
we lost by 2 in OT. I am thinking that we just had a bad game and Stanford played out of their minds.

My thought as well. Hello everyone! I've been a lurker here for a while and finally decided to sign up. If a newcomer may add a couple cents to the topic, the thing that has kept up my optimism regarding the loss to Stanford is the fact that it took an absolute perfect 'A' game from them to beat UConn on a bad night.
I also watched a little bit of UNC's game against Oregon on TV a few days back and was quite impressed with their post players. They were pounding it into the paint and rebounding the ball like crazy. I knew this match-up would be a tough one for Stanford and seems to be holding true.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Stanford getting destroyed. Down 2o with 5 minutes left in the game. Our loss to them is looking pretty sad at the moment.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
sure enough..... I get a text from a UNC fan talking about them killing Stanford by 20 :mad:

Reaction Score
70-54
Heels took a double-digit lead with 12 min to go and it never got any closer, getting to 22 at one point.

Stanford's close game against a bad New Mexico team had already led me to think that the Cardinal might not be that great a team. Today's loss enhances that view.

Not quite sure what happened in the UConn game - Huskies unprepared? Stanford had element of surprise with new system?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
by 2 points in OT
I understand, but UNC won by 16. It was never really close in the 2nd half... I get that Stanford played a great game against us, but subsequent losses to Texas and now UNC make UCONN's look kinda bad. It's not like we lost to ND. Stanford may not even be a top 10 team.

I'm not saying it was a disastrous loss, just that it's beginning to look like a "bad" loss. But I'm certainly not trying to be dramatical about it... Just disappointed that Stanford does not appear to be "that good"... ;)

Reaction Score
Holy snap!! Stanford losing. The Lady Vols lost. And South Carolina is in a battle with the Cuse. Mrs. Dunn should be happy now. There is parity in women's basketball.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I figured UNC might be a better team this year (minus their FOY). It's one of those addition by subtraction if you will.
Oh my - I have no idea to what you are referring! ;)

Reaction Score
we lost by 2 in OT. I am thinking that we just had a bad game and Stanford played out of their minds.
Truth is, Stanford expended so much energy beating UConn, they may not win another game the entire year.:)

Reaction Score
I figured UNC might be a better team this year (minus their FOY). It's one of those addition by subtraction if you will.

Since many people considered them the #2 team with DeShields, I'm not sure they're a better team. But they also clearly havent fallen off the map, which some others predicted following the transfer.

Reaction Score
The first 5 games in a season are poor indicators of any team's season's outcome. Including the men.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Since many people considered them the #2 team with DeShields, I'm not sure they're a better team. But they also clearly havent fallen off the map, which some others predicted following the transfer.

In the Boneyard preseason poll...... They were #6...

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Not quite sure what happened in the UConn game - Huskies unprepared? Stanford had element of surprise with new system?

I think this was one of those games where the coaches kept telling players that they wouldn't get away with things they were doing. And although they beat UCD, it was still overlooked. Some of Geno's quotes in the Bounce back video on ESPN were very telling.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I understand, but UNC won by 16. It was never really close in the 2nd half... I get that Stanford played a great game against us, but subsequent losses to Texas and now UNC make UCONN's look kinda bad.
Yes, giving up 88 points is not an effective way to win games. And, IMO, it was a team loss. Even though an individual may have a spectacularly good or spectacularly bad game, if the team plays poorly then the team - not the player - will lose.

I don't think it's a bad loss, though. Upsets tend to happen early in the season for a reason. Both UConn and Stanford are adjusting after the loss of key players and both will be better by tournament time. I'll bet you that there are other teams dreading the thought of either UConn or Stanford in their brackets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom