UNC has BIG trouble with NCAA... | The Boneyard

UNC has BIG trouble with NCAA...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
ESPN just broke the story that the latest investigation uncovered 5 level 1 violations and the dreaded "lack of institutional control" violations. More to come...

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
l-379.jpg

Reaction Score
This NBC article has a little more detail on the charges. One of the five charges pertains to women's basketball:

"From 2007-2010, Boxill provided the women’s basketball team with a myriad of impermissible academic assistance, ranging from adding a conclusion or quotation into an athlete’s paper to turning the paper in for the player and requesting a specific grade."

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspo...ed-their-notice-of-allegations-from-the-ncaa/

Reaction Score
NCAA should whack them but good..... and Roy WIlliams not being part of this I am sad to see, if only because he is so non chalant about the whole thing..... referring to it as "this junk" or "this stuff" or something like that.....

he is not treating it with any degree of credence..... though he has acknowledged that it happened

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So all of this information was missed in the first NCAA investigation? They should allow the UNC athletes to transfer immediately without having to sit out a year of eligibility, with UNC paying for the full scholarship at the new school.

Reaction Score
Doesn't look good, especially for the women's basketball program.

Reaction Score
I'll reserve comment/judgement until I see what kind of punishment UNC receives from the NCAA. If indeed it receives any punishment.
Me too. Charges seem a little light to me, plus UNC's party line now is basically, "It was a long time ago, nothing has happened since 2011, and we have put corrective actions and new procedures in place to ensure nothing like this can ever happen again." Also ESPN didn't "break" the story today. They were 2 hours later than NBC, and their couple paragraphs with no detail at all were about as minimal as they could possibly get without just totally ignoring the news. Will be interesting to see the NCAA treatment.

Reaction Score
This whole thing is a friggin joke...... Gross violations in terms of amount and severity..... and UNC is supposedly a "public ivy" this is not Oxford or Starkville..... it is Chapel Hill

And they still play it off and do not take full ownership

Reaction Score
This whole thing is a friggin joke. Gross violations in terms of amount and severity..... and UNC is supposedly a "public ivy" this is not Oxford or Starkville..... it is Chapel Hill
Yeah, but their Athletic Director IS named Bubba, so that has to count for something....?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I’m hoping the boneyard rule about NOT speculating about player transfer only applies to UCONN players. With UNC current situation, would there be any interest in any of the current UNC players? Personally I like Mavunga, Gray, and the incoming freshmen Watts the most.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
"Lack of instituional control" is not a slap on the wrist. For lesser violations, one might reason that some mistake might have occurred in administration. But in "control" violations, the administration IS the problem, specifically that they knew or should have known that violation(s) were taking place. I know that the popular view among BY'ers is that UNC will skate. I am betting the opposite, even if it takes a while longer for the NCAA to deliver their final verdict.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
One of the five charges pertains to women's basketball:

"From 2007-2010, Boxill provided the women’s basketball team with a myriad of impermissible academic assistance, ranging from adding a conclusion or quotation into an athlete’s paper to turning the paper in for the player and requesting a specific grade."

If you look at this time frame, the better question is *why* UNC was cheating. Was it really that important to keep players eligible so UNC would be able to lose to UConn by 25 points instead of 30-35 points? :D

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Many involved with UNC have thought of themselves as "untouchable". Hopefully those days are numbered.

Reaction Score
I’m hoping the boneyard rule about NOT speculating about player transfer only applies to UCONN players. With UNC current situation, would there be any interest in any of the current UNC players? Personally I like Mavunga, Gray, and the incoming freshmen Watts the most.

Is some of the players can't make it academically there what makes one think they could make it at UConn?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is some of the players can't make it academically there what makes one think they could make it at UConn?
The institution/UNC/system lowered or eliminated the academic standards not the kids. It is hard to say if a specific UNC Non-student athlete could have achieved the non-lowered UNC academic standards. It is even harder to project UCONN academic standards on UNC Non-student athletes. Some kids will achieve whatever standard you hold them accountable to be it in basketball, academics, or life; other kids will not.
That is kind of like asking: Could Maya Moore be an Academic all American at Duke?

Hint: The answer is yes because it is Maya we are talking about.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET