OT: Unacceptable power situation | The Boneyard

OT: Unacceptable power situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This from the Colchester town website:

A CL&P coordinator has been assigned to Colchester and is working with our team in town hall. More CL&P crews are on the way, but CL&P does not yet have a full plan to restore power. We are working with them to enact a plan as soon as possible. The coordinator can be reached at Town Hall at (860) 537-7232, during regular business hours. In general, the priority order of power restoration is as follows:

Maybe I'm just impatient and unreasonable, but gee whiz shouldn't we have been discussing a plan before most of the town had been without power for 144 hours!!! I've been saying for two days that it was apparent that proactive towns were getting things done.

Someone say something to calm me down.

Reaction Score
I know in Stamford they promised a certain amount of crews and then immediately reneged on that. I know the rest of Connecticut was hit much harder than down here in Fairfield County.

CL&P really messed this one up in how they handled it. One of their biggest mistakes was letting their crews just sit around for an extra 24 hours when the storm had most definitely passed. There was nothing more frustrating then driving around on Sunday and seeing three CL&P crews just sitting in a parking lot.

Reaction Score
Well I saw 70+ power trucks from at least 2 different companies heading north on 95 in VA and NC, so hopefully they are on they are on their way up near you

Reaction Score
We had dinneer in Mystic and the folks at the table next to us got a call during dinner to tell them their power was back. Then we saw 2 crews from Oklahoma pulling out and going to work. I still think the towns bear responsibility here. The head guys in Salem and Ledyard were both interviewed by the Day and each town got more than 50% of their power restored overnight. Can't be a coincidence.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

A CL&P coordinator has been assigned to Colchester and is working with our team in town hall. More CL&P crews are on the way, but CL&P does not yet have a full plan to restore power. We are working with them to enact a plan as soon as possible. The coordinator can be reached at Town Hall at (860) 537-7232, during regular business hours. In general, the priority order of power restoration is as follows:

Maybe I'm just impatient and unreasonable, but gee whiz shouldn't we have been discussing a plan before most of the town had been without power for 144 hours!!! I've been saying for two days that it was apparent that proactive towns were getting things done.

Just think how low your next power bill will be!

Reaction Score
The light in my room is too bright, the TV is too loud, I wish my internet connection were a bit faster, but the air conditioner is working pretty well :)

Reaction Score
But the ones next year will need to cover all the extra money the utilities just spent. There is no win for a consumer. And the next hurricane will have the same response.

Reaction Score
The light in my room is too bright, the TV is too loud, I wish my internet connection were a bit faster, but the air conditioner is working pretty well :)
Not so good...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I love how the small SE CT towns with government-run power never lost power and aren't hiking rates. Meanwhile, CL&P is keeping whole towns in the dark AND saying they will be requesting a rate hike to pay for the repairs.

I'm sure suzy can't wait to get a bill hike after 10 days out.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

You don't have to worry about your husband throwing a toaster into your bath!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

Sounds like you need to calm down just a wee bit and make some tea.

Oh wait, you can't. :cool:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You don't have to worry about your husband throwing a toaster into your bath!

Who can take a bath? The tub is filled with water to be used for filling the toilet bowl tank or providing the 1 gallon of water per day per person.:)

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

If they don't get to you soon, you can be the first in line after Katia rolls by.

Reaction Score
Utilities cut maintenance to improve profits. But those branches that didn't get cut eventually get you. The utility spends more for catastrophic 'clean-up', puts it in the rate base, and your bill becomes higher.

Solution - get a generator. and stock up on Mystic Bridge.

Reaction Score

I'm in Preston Power came on 1 hour ago!! Everyone Cheering!! reminded me of Uconn v Butler

Reaction Score
Just DON'T think how high the following 100 bills will be after CL&P gets a rate hike to recover its $75 million of hurricane expenditures (most due to incompetence, substandard equipment, and poor planning).

Reaction Score
So we get our power back less than 24 hours after the idiot first selectman decides we need a plan. Hmmmm. The crews were out in force today. God love them, they were from Ohio. The only time we've seen actual CL&P personnel was on Monday when they were cutting down a huge tree that had fallen on Rt 85 (they removed it from the power lines and left it on the phone lines) and the tree crew that came down our road on Wednesday.

The transformers are right in front of my house so after they replaced the three that had fried, they spent the rest of the day working on the lines and finished up in front of our house again. They pulled the bucket truck up in front of the house and yelled "got power?" I almost cried. One of the guys says to Bill " So whaddya think?" Bill says "I think I love you man". It was quite emotional. :p

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Utilities cut maintenance to improve profits. But those branches that didn't get cut eventually get you. The utility spends more for catastrophic 'clean-up', puts it in the rate base, and your bill becomes higher.

Solution - get a generator. and stock up on Mystic Bridge.
The generator is a tremendous help but it is far from a solution. Minus central air (summer) or heat (winter, unfortunately that is electric for me as well) it costs me rougly $3.00 per day to run everthing in my house through CL&P. The three days this week that I needed to run my generator it cost me nearly $25.00 per day in gasoline for the generator, running only two refrigerators and a handful of lights. It is far from an efficient way to power your house.

Reaction Score
I love how the small SE CT towns with government-run power never lost power and aren't hiking rates. Meanwhile, CL&P is keeping whole towns in the dark AND saying they will be requesting a rate hike to pay for the repairs.

I'm sure suzy can't wait to get a bill hike after 10 days out.

Zach, Groton Utilities promised they would have power restored by tuesday and they did it. They were simply amazing, communication what was happening, utilizing town employees and just getting it done. They put the big companies to shame and thembed their nose at FEMA. It was beautiful.

Reaction Score
Others might wonder about running two refrigerators being (energy) efficient, especially on a generator. ;)

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Congrats! It is a great feeling to see the lights come back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom