UMass to hire Winthrop's Pat Kelsey as head coach (or not) | The Boneyard

UMass to hire Winthrop's Pat Kelsey as head coach (or not)

Reaction Score
Be interested to see how this flies with the fan base up there. I think it's a good hire all things considered. He'll have plenty of tools with their new Champions Center, etc. All in all - it was time to uproot the Squid tree and start fresh and this guy's probably a good hire. The base is still drunk on the Squid juice though, so who knows.

Only thing that's weird is Shrewsbury was up for that job too (Brad Steven's assistant in Boston) and I'm kind of surprised they passed him up.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Be interested to see how this flies with the fan base up there. I think it's a good hire all things considered. He'll have plenty of tools with their new Champions Center, etc. All in all - it was time to uproot the Squid tree and start fresh and this guy's probably a good hire. The base is still drunk on the Squid juice though, so who knows.

Only thing that's weird is Shrewsbury was up for that job too (Brad Steven's assistant in Boston) and I'm kind of surprised they passed him up.
I'm sure the UMass board will take the news with the level-headed reasonableness that it always demonstrated over the years.

"KAEO Pat Kelsey."

Reaction Score
Thought they were going to go with Joe Dooley. Kelsey seems like a good hire, UMass fans hoping they got the next Gregg Marshall.

DrG

Reaction Score
I can assure you with substantial confidence that with the possible exception of a couple of members of the booster club, the UMass community has cut the Calipari cord. And we love the Kelsey hire!

Reaction Score
I think it's a good hire all things considered. He'll have plenty of tools with their new Champions Center, etc.
Well, Kellogg and their women's coach shared their 3 year old practice facility since 2014. With no change in facilities, perhaps Kelsey will just need to recruit and coach better.

Reaction Score
I can assure you with substantial confidence that with the possible exception of a couple of members of the booster club, the UMass community has cut the Calipari cord. And we love the Kelsey hire!

I don't know a human alive in that booster club (and I know a lot of them) that aren't in full-blown Uncle Rico moment every time they're within a whiff of the Mullins Center. I know one guy who recounts the night they played Wake Forest and the crowd outside the Mullins Center. Every time we drive past it. Every time you see it in the distance. Every time we're at a college sporting event. Every... literally every time I see him. And that's almost everyone else in the booster club. The Commonwealth Club is like a never ending, detailed recap of their trip to the Final Four in New York City. Band Camp stuff.

Well, Kellogg and their women's coach shared their 3 year old practice facility since 2014. With no change in facilities, perhaps Kelsey will just need to recruit and coach better.

Kellogg seemingly figured the recruiting thing out by the end of his tenure. The coaching thing, not as much.

DrG

Reaction Score
I hear you, Towney. That's why I don't like to go up there at halftime . . . people still living in 1996. The fact of the matter is the AD, Chancellor, and a lot of younger people have no ties and no allegiance to the Cal era. The Mullins wasn't even half full when they hoisted the Calipari banner last season. Finally, we get a fresh start. Let's see if Kelsey can energize the sleepiest bandwagon fan base in America.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hear you, Towney. That's why I don't like to go up there at halftime . . . people still living in 1996. The fact of the matter is the AD, Chancellor, and a lot of younger people have no ties and no allegiance to the Cal era. The Mullins wasn't even half full when they hoisted the Calipari banner last season. Finally, we get a fresh start. Let's see if Kelsey can energize the sleepiest bandwagon fan base in America.

I still can't believe they engage Springfield so little. They should be playing at least 2-3 games there a year right now. They sold the place out for BYU a few years ago. For freakin' BYU.

The community engagement in that AD is putrid anyway, but that'd go a long way towards getting people interested again.

I've always hated UMass, but i'll go to the game just because it's down the road.

Reaction Score
I read on the A10 board that Mack will take the Indiana job. Kelsey will then head back to Cincy and take the job at Xavier.

Reaction Score
I read on the A10 board that Mack will take the Indiana job. Kelsey will then head back to Cincy and take the job at Xavier.

Has Alford told them no yet. I have to imagine they wait till tourney is over or ucla eliminated to get an answer from Alford

Reaction Score
Has Alford told them no yet. I have to imagine they wait till tourney is over or ucla eliminated to get an answer from Alford
I wonder if Mack would go out to UCLA if Alford leaves?

Reaction Score
Andy Katz‏V @ESPNAndyKatz 4m
UMass announces Pat Kelsey asked out of his agreement at 3:30 p.m. Kelsey said in a statement that he asked out due to personal reasons. He said this decision was personal, nothing to do with UMass. He apologized in the statement. Kelsey was on campus Wednesday. Kelsey's photo is still the background on the UMass basketball twitter page. UMass released him, but the statement from AD Ryan Bamford said the school is still figuring out how this "impacts the executed Memorandum of Understanding." UMass will renew its search for a coach.

Matt Vautour‏ @MattVautourDHG 7m 7 minutes ago
"It's my impression that he's going back to Winthrop." - Bamford who said he didn't think it was his place to speculate on other openings

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Maybe he lied about having a degree like that coach who said he got his degree while at Kentucky under Rick Pitino and his old school allowed him to come back? What was his name? How can a school take someone back that wanted to leave?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom